Complete Newb Grower. Need A Little Help Starting Up

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by jgbeatty, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Ok so I was asked like a week ago to help my friend grow in a closet he has in this new house he just rented. It's about 3ft wide and about 7ft deep and 7ft tall. As of right now it has no ventilation or light or anything and I could use a little help on finding out what kinds of lights and ventilation system I'm gong to need. Any input on how to grow or how to setup my grow area would be greatly appreciated. I just need a jumping off point and then it'll be trial and error but any help I could get to make it more successful would be great.

2. That's a good sized room. I would want 2 x 600W or 2 x 1000W MH for vegging and the same watt HPS for flower. You will need good ventilation, and maybe even a portable air conditioner to keep things cool. I recommend lining the floor with a (white if possible) tarp, and lining the walls and ceiling with white plastic.

Check out the link in my sig to see what I have done with a 5x10' room.

3. Oh, and definitely browse craigslist for used equipment like lights, fans, a charcoal filter, and inline fan, as well as planting pots... the white poly you want should be available at your local hydroponics store.

4. lets not forget EBay, Amazon. :) Attitude seed bank...

5. I also recommend the single seed centre. I got my first seeds from them. Had no problems shipping was fairly fast. I liked using them because I could just get one seed of something without having to buy a whole pack of them. Food for thought.

6. Go with a cfl grow (compact fluorescent lighting) its the easiest and cheapest way to learn and can still produce high yields and potent buds.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. #7 IslandHippie, May 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2014
    @[member="jgbeatty"] Don't listen to the advice to use CFL. Your space is much too perfect for real lighting to go with CFL. CFL is better for a grow cabinet or something. MH and HPS lighting will get you a better yield and better quality bud.

8. I'm growing from a closet too and it's my first grow as well I bought my lights from amazon I'm using T5 they only costed about 100$ I wouldn't go cheap on the lights there pretty important for the walls I put up mylar it's pretty cheap I got 20feet for 20$ and it's really easy to cut. Just everything simple. Food is pretty important too don't buy walmart plant food I'd try to find a hydroponics store near you they'll have a shit ton of food

9. I'm growing from a closet too and it's my first grow as well I bought my lights from amazon I'm using T5 they only costed about 100$ I wouldn't go cheap on the lights there pretty important for the walls I put up mylar it's pretty cheap I got 20feet for 20$ and it's really easy to cut. Just everything simple. Food is pretty important too don't buy walmart plant food I'd try to find a hydroponics store near you they'll have a shit ton of food

10. Sorry about the double post my fucking phone lol

11. This is what I'm growing I veged with CFL's for 2 months and now im flowering with the sun. It is my first grow though and I've never tried any other way.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

12. can anyone tell me why some of my leaves have holes in them..it is outside...use miracle grow 15-30-15..about a week into flowering