Complete LED Setup

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by jrsaw0711, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Bought 3of the Mars II 1200 lights this week. Going to run them them against my normal 1K lights and see how the LEDs match up against them. Hoping the results are similar to yours JRSaw. Also got two lights for veg and know that is going to work out great. The latter is replacing T5 lights, which I have had success with for veg. Will be a few weeks before lights show up but looking forward to their arrival.

2. Have you sent Sara an email and inquired about this yet? I sure wouldn't want to lose light intensity because the lights are not actually running at the specified wattage.

3. #603 bma1933, Oct 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2013
    I remember awhile back somebody came on here and ways saying something similar about lights. Did you go with JR's spectrum? If so I think your lights running fine. That guy had said that RED diodes use less energy than blue... so if you had them take some blue out and put in red than it might be what your light runs at. Not totally sure about this but I remember somebody saying that.

Edit- not directed at you starving, was supposed to highlight Governmentcheese as well 

4. So let's see some pictures of what you boys are running under these Mars 2 lights. Jr has a nice little perpetual going, but Output and you others that ordered some, I would like to see what you guys have running underneath them. I'm borderline on putting in an order, but like other have stated, I would like to know the ACTUAL wattage draws of each light. Running the 5W diodes at less then half strength kinda defeats the purpose of using them in the first place I would think. Anyway, great thread!! Converting over to all LED from HID is a huge decision for anybody, and I think there are tons of people on here contemplating that very thing. People want to be able to have the most cost efficient gardens as possible, without having to give up yield or quality. Thanks for all the input!!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

What did you get for veg, Starving?

6. Most LED light manufactures don't run their lights at rated watts. You lose to much on life expectancy. The harder you push them the more heat they produce.less efficient.

7. I understand that, but running them at 2.5 or 3watts would seem more ideal then the 2.1 that the actual draw is showing professor.

8. #608 Output, Oct 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2013

Starving and HTownBudz - you might like what a friend of mine sent me today. I was asking about the overall watt draw on my Mars ll 1200's from a guy who is a real LED expert on a different forum.

Here is his response…

"First the 520 watt pull is a little low but pretty close to what it should be. A 5 watt LED is driven at about 1000 to 1250 mA. the average voltage draw of an LED is about 2.7. If the panel has more red diodes that average drops (reds usually run at 2.3-2.6 volts depending on manufacturer). So 2.7(voltage) *1(amperage)*280 (the number of LEDs) = 756... Therefor if they are running them at about 750mA (makes the LED last longer and run cooler) and are only pushing about 2.5 to 2.6 volts per LED on average, that makes the total pull close to your 520 mark."

As to what is under my lights? Nothing yet. I'm hoping that they arrive by the end of this coming week here. It is a very lengthy process to get something to me where I am.

Once everything arrives, I will be able to start my organic dirt with all of the nutrients. This has to sit for one month so that it is activated properly. After that, everything starts in earnest.

However, a really great piece of news is that I was able to find a much better location to do my grow. The room is under construction and should be done this week. Now I have a 9' x 16.5' x 9' tall, air-conditioned space. Now I have the room to do a scrog and everything. Can't wait.

9. Output, sounds like that room should be producing some weight!! Lol....huge flower room bro.

10. #610 Output, Oct 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2013

I'm hoping. Now the limitation is how big of a space my lights will cover.

So I am planning a 4 foot wide by 8 foot long space right down the middle of the room for the grow area. This way I can still get beneath the scrog etc. And the Mars ll 1200's should each give me about a 3.5' x 3.5' area of good coverage for flower.

11. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1381774114.893685.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1381774138.280833.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1381774177.312414.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1381774195.581154.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1381774239.044347.jpg

Pic 1 is sour lemon og @ 18 days into flower.
    Pic 2 is king's KUSH @ about 30 days into flower.
    Pic 3 is Cantalope KUSH @ 5 weeks into flower.
    Pic 4 is another Cantalope. This one @ 18 days into flower.
    Pic 5 is a fresh batch that I just flipped. Running an experiment by keeping them in one-gallon pots. There are 10.

12. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1381774632.191795.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1381774650.345780.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1381774675.859456.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1381774694.500726.jpg

13. Looking good JR!!

14. JR, loved what I saw and ordered a MarsII for my 3x3 gorilla grow tent.  I din't use your spectrum because I plan on using mine for veg and flower so I went with the standard setup.  My question is should I supplement my veg time with extra blue oe white cfl's?  and when I go to flower should I do the same and add red?  Oh, one more question, am I pushing my luck going for 3 girls in my tent?  I know strains, etc. come into play.

I am growing in soil and am really excited to get set up and growing.  I have just about everything here and ready to put my tent up (as soon as I get back from the Seahawks and TB game)

Love reading everyones post cuz it helps this new girl out a BUNCH!

15. You can supplement with CFL spots 6500K.  I use the ones with the  reflector & clamps and put them on the corner poles. I believe they are 26 watts actual draw... Three plants  would be fine depending how big you let them get in veg.... I have done 6 plants in dwc bucket system in a 4 X 4... I was wondering if anyone has done a full grow using the MARS II standard spectrum...

16. Thanks, that helps!  How many do you recommend?  One for each corner?  I'll be anxious to get mine going in the next month.

17. How big of a light did you buy, Jen?

18. It's the Mars II and everything I've read (which is probably way too much) says this should be perfect size for the tent.

19. I'm in week 4 of veg with a Mars II 140x5w. Link is in my sig. I'll have a few more pics Thursday or Friday.

20. Hi Jan - which of the Mars ll did you get? The 400, 700, 900, 1200?