Companion planting

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by ninja scrub, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Sorry if this is in the wrong section, it seemed most fitting.

Anyway, i've been doing some reasearch on companion planting and from what i've read these are some of the best companion plants for cannabis:

Yarrow - supposed to increase the essential oil production, and overall health of most plants.

Chamomile - Supposed to increase the essential oil/resin production of most plants

Lovage - Supposed to increase the growth and health of nearly all plants.

Borage - Adds trace minerals to the soil, increases resistance to pests/diseases

Would these be good choices? Are there any other plants you would suggest using?

2. I've heard of Chamomile before, but only a mention of it.

I haven't ever seen a journal where anybody has done it, so it seems really theoretical.

I think it comes down to the fact that you have to care for another plant that won't yield marijuana when you could just be growing 2 marijuana plants. Although, it'd make for a cool experiment.

3. Those plants dont require much care at all (the borage might, havnt grown it myself so i dont know) so caring for them shouldnt be too much of a problem.
    Since there isnt much info on companion planting with cannabis i guess i'll just have to do a few grows using different companion plants and get the information through trial and error.

Thanks for the reply

4. Companion planting ...???? Location is the key here!! I think, you don't want to many domesticated plants around your crop..say in a national forest, or public lands.

Any plant that may hinder or inconvenience a passer by is essential, my favorite in the past has been stinging nettle, although will attract large herbivores and the odd rabbit
    also a great sign of "N" in the soil.
    For me, companion planting, for the stinging nettle, with MJ for good measure

Garlic and Nasturtiums for aerial defense and both can be eaten along with the nettles...,.naturally!!

peace

"V"

5. I thought he wasn't going outdoor, but rather indoor and using the companion plants to change the quality of his bud.

OP, if you really want to gauge the results accurately, you're going to have to do controlled grows and experiment groups. Doing one plant isn't really a good experiment.

Optimistically, you'll should do at least 8-10 plants in each group. If you just do one, and compare it with previous grows, your results will be skewed. Only taking one plant's success, is a huge generalization! Of course, you could just do it along side your plants, because the psychological effect to you will be more than worth it! :D

6. That's pretty much what i planned on doing. Not quite 8-10 plants in each group though, i was thinking more along the lines of 5 or so. And i would do more than one grow (maybe 3 or so) before drawing a conclusion.
    Also, i am doing an outdoor grow and trying to improve the health, flavor, and smell of my bud rather than trying to keep shit out of my garden by planting things like stinging nettle (we save that for the regular garden :yummy: ) around it.

7. You may want to keep a very detailed journal also. Take note of surrounding plants and stuff like that. Since you'll be doing over a few years, outdoors, there will be environmental changes around your grow area that could possibly effect your plant growth.

Unfortunately, I'm thinking an indoor grow would eliminate more variables for you, but getting results anywhere would be pretty awesome.

8. Chives, Garlic, Scallions and other related plants will bring tons of earthworms to your garden bed. Just don't plant anything too invasive, and avoid and remove natural vines, which can choke out your plants.

A perimeter of mixed marigolds, and more importantly foxglove, nasturtium and basil will protect you from deer, cats, rabbits, as well as from both slimy, and most crawly/winged pests.

This may help as well:

Repellent Plants and Natural Repellents:

General insects

Ants

* Pennyroyal
    * Spearmint
    * Southernwood
    * Tansy.

Aphids

* Anise
    * Chives
    * Coriander
    * Garlic
    * Nasturtium
    * Pennyroyal
    * Petunia
    * Spearmint
    * Southernwood
    * Tansy.

Asparagus beetle

* Tomato

Cabbage maggot

* Hemp
    * Mint
    * Tomato
    * Rosemary
    * Sage.

Cabbage Moth

* Catnip
    * Celery
    * Hemp
    * Hyssop
    * Nasturtium
    * Rosemary
    * Sage
    * Southernwood
    * Thyme
    * Wormwood

Carrot fly

* Black salsify
    * Coriander
    * Rosemary
    * Sage
    * Salsify
    * Wormwood.

Chinch bug

* Soybean.

Colorado potato beetle, Leptinotarsa decemlineata

* Dead nettle
    * Flax
    * Green beans
    * Horseradish.

Cucumber beetle

* Radish
    * Tansy.

Japanese beetle

* Garlic
    * Pelargonium geraniums
    * Larkspur, Rue
    * Tansy.

Leafhopper

* Pelargonium geraniums
    * Petunia.

Mexican bean beetle Epilachna varivestis

* Marigold
    * Petunia
    * Potato
    * Rosemary
    * Summer Savory.

Plum curculio

* Garlic

Rose chafer

* Pelargonium geraniums
    * Onion
    * Petunia.

Squash bug

* Nasturtium
    * Petunia.

Striped pumpkin beetle

* Nasturtium

Whitefly

* Marigold
    * Nasturtium
    * Nicandra (Peruvian Ground Cherry.)

Wireworm

* White Mustard

[edit] Moths and their larvae

Cutworm

* Tansy

Fruit Tree Moth

* Southernwood

Tomato hornworm

* Borage
    * Marigold
    * Opal Basil

[edit] Parasitic pests

Eelworm

* French & African Marigold

Mites

* Chives
    * Garlic
    * Onion

Nematode

* Asparagus
    * Dahlia
    * Calendula, French & African Marigold, Salvis

Slugs & Snails

* Prostrate Rosemary
    * Wormwood

[edit] Mammals

Moles

* Castor bean
    * Mole plant
    * Spurge
    * Squill.

Gopher

* Castor Bean

Mice

* Mint
    * Neem cake

Rabbit

* Allium Family
    * Neem cake

9. Thanks BKS, I've been havin' a problem with a few of those pests and I hate having to use chemical sprays (neem oil would probably work, but supposedly you have to apply it more often and i cant always get out to my plants)