Companion planting with mushrooms

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by thegoosebrick, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Inoculated the soil with mushrooms I found out in the forest. Think it may be beneficial for the plants... what you all think?   

Attached Files:

2. After some further reading I think this may be why the plants turned piss yellow. Not doing this for the next cycle

3. #3 Greasemonkeyman, Feb 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2015
    hah!, it's probably because mushrooms and cannabis like two totally different atmospheres..
    One likes extremely rich damp moist soil, the other likes well drained media..
    I can tell you that forest mushrooms are fabulous for the compost pile, I get mushrooms that are as big as my head out here, and they melt away to a compost(y) goodness pretty quickly.
    I like that you readily admitted your mistake though, I'm almost there with my redwood moss... I've used it in my no-tills for two harvests, at first it was working super, the roots were growing into the moss, and this run,  it seems to be creating an issue, the roots don't seem to "like" the moss anymore...I could check the ph and such but I haven't had to PH anything since the Clinton administration... don't even own any ph testers..
    Anyways, redwood tree moss is a great way too keep your topsoil from transpiring too much water but after two harvests i'd go without it... Just in case anyone is wondering.

4. I haven't ph tested anything yet. I did have a couple truck loads of old grow soil from a friend that I tried some plants in. Found out it was super salty and the plants weren't so happy. Thinking I may have to cover crop it with legumes and clover or something. Maybe it would help get the salts out. Idk

5. How did you think this was a good idea?

Call it theory/experiment and then observe. That's how we really learn.

I've killed plenty of plants over the years and know a boat load of things that don't work, or actions you shouldn't take.

Kill a lot fewer plants these days.

Wet

7. Yes, theory is... the forests and trees have a symbiotic relationship with fungi and shrooms and such. I was trying to bring that into my indoor to see if it had a symbiotic relationship with the ganja... my observations are its not. my final hopes were to grow magic mushrooms and ganja in one fellow swoop. but even though the mushrooms were present the ganja failed to keep up on its end of the spectrum.... But fuck it. looked cool haha

8. absolutely great advice/statement, especially when it comes to growing cannabis, gotta remember hydroponics and indoor growing was just an exclusive europeon thing for yrs before potheads started doing it, so it's not like it's been around for centuries.
    I can't say I've full on killed a plant.. unless you count the plants that have died from botritus and such from me insisting on tryin a second quick harvest in warmer CA winters... but it's the rain I blame for that..
    Or the plants that I have "given up" on that get a mite infestation late in harvest... but I blame the mites....
    ya see the trend? I blame others... works well.
    :ey:

9. Never really full on killed a cannabis plant, but had the same stuff happen as you.

But, way back in the early 70's I was getting into rare ferns and orchids. From that, it sorta developed into a hobby nursery to help pay for these plants and then an import license which really kicked things off. I was working at MIA and the Ag import/quarantine station was also at MIA. Some of this stuff was so rare there might be 50 in the entire country and I would have 5 or 10 of those.

Needless to say there was pretty much zero information on cultivation or even where they were collected or the environment they grew in. Sometimes I made a good guess, many times I didn't and they died. Now, many of those same plants are on the endangered list which is a good thing IMO. The plants were cheap, usually under $5, but the air freight from New Guinea was jaw dropping even 40 years ago.

Still, learned a lot about what does and doesn't work.  Then, Hurricane Andrew in 1992 deposited everything somewhere in the Everglades, shade house and all.  IIRC, 5 plants got brought in and survived. Lost better than a thousand.

An expensive education, but one well remembered.

Wet

10. fair play to you fella.  he who dares wins  :smoke: