Community Service for Unemployment

Discussion in 'Politics' started by H4Boxer, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Do you think community service be required to recieve unemployment benefits?

I beleive so. Your community is paying for your benefits so what is wrong with working to help it out? Im not talking about 40hrs/week but I think 15-20hrs/week isn't much to ask for. I dont know, ive never received unemployment but I think its worthwhile seeing as how I pay my taxes as all of you do.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. No, it's not a good idea.  The idea is to get another job, which is hard enough.   

3. Unemployment no, welfare perhaps.

4. Let me ask you this question. Is over 50% of the people on unemployment out looking for a job every hour they aren't on someones pay roll?

5. Could I recieve some elaboration? If your receiving an unempolument bdnefit check and your sitting on your ass alk day waiting for a call back there is no reason why you shouldn't be helping your community while everyone else is at a job earning their keep.

6. Where do you think most of the money comes from for unemployment insurance?  Your taxes?  Wrong - It's paid into by employers and in some states a small amount is deducted from the employees' paychecks as well.  

7. Employers pay the the employee's paycheck so in all honesty, I dont see the difference.

8. Although I ask again. If you are waiting at home for a call back from an employer why shouldnt you be bettering the community on which you exist?

9. Why not make the unemployed walk around with a big sign on their heads ?

If you ever are in the unfortunate position of losing your job you will change your mind about this one fairly rapid.

10. #10 garrison68, Sep 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2013
    Because you do not get jobs by waiting for one potential employer to call you back, you need to go on many interviews.  

Voluntary community service is fine, but people who get laid off should not be forced to do it in order to collect benefits.    

11. Sign on their head? I love how there's an automatic negative view point to helping your community lol.

12. Im sorry, but I wouldn't say over %50 (majority) of people collecting unemployment are actively out searching for a job 40hrs/week every week. Link me reputable study and I'll admit I am naive in my way of thinking.

13. Employees work for their paycheck.  The employer remunerates for work done.  What ru trying to say?

14. What I am saying is if they employer is paying for Unemployment benefits that is essentially money that is taken out of the employees earned wage. So what is the difference? It makes no diffrence to the employer since they are paying that amount no matter what, but makes a difference to the employee.

15. They may not be helping the community but they certainly aren't hurting it either.

16. #16 garrison68, Sep 29, 2013
     The burden of proof is on the believer, which is you.   If you think that most people collecting unemployment are not actively seeking jobs, you might be right - but you have not shown any evidence to back up this claim. 

17. #17 Carne Seca, Sep 29, 2013

You have to submit 5 job applications per week to qualify for unemployment.  Fail to do this and they kick you off the program.  

Starting in 2009 I was on unemployment for 17 months (laid off due to outsourcing).  I spent every day of the week looking for a job.  It barely paid enough for me to live on.  I had to get food from the LDS welfare program because all of my money went to rent, utilities, and a car loan.  My check was barely above minimum wage earnings.  

18. I could do 5 applictions in 5 hours, so what are they doing the other 35hrs/week?

Agreed.

20. Car loan is a privilege.