Communication

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Mangoskunk, Apr 7, 2012.

1. I was just thinking today that when you are thinking something in your brain your thoughts are narrated by whatever language you speak right? So if you never were taught any language or verbal form of communication what would your thoughts be? Just urges to do this or that? Instinct? You wouldn't have views on subjects or situations would you? Discuss.

2. No one has any input on this topic?

3. No one has any input?

4. Language, ah a key factor that sets you greatly apart from most living things on this planet.

5. [quote name='"xG20Tx"']Language, ah a key factor that sets you greatly apart from most living things on this planet.[/quote]

And would we just have the same intelligence level as animals?

6. Would a deaf and blind person be limited to primitive thinking?

7. Haha I have no idea! The fact that none of this has crossed my mind before I unbelievable.

8. Very interesting topic, I don't believe thoughts orginate in the brain. I think language is a process the brain learns to communicate. I don't think I could make the guess someone without the learned skill of modern language would be the product of a primitive animal. Yet there are the stories of ferral children..

9. [quote name='"xG20Tx"']Very interesting topic, I don't believe thoughts orginate in the brain. I think language is a process the brain learns to communicate. I don't think I could make the guess someone without the learned skill of modern language would be the product of a primitive animal. Yet there are the stories of ferral children..[/quote]

Where is it that you believe thoughts originate?

10. I think you are your thoughts. I meen I believe there is much more to every human being than the physical brain or body.

11. I kinda feel the same way, but I'm not sure what. Like what is this higher spiritual power?

12. Were on the same boat my friend lol. My goal before I die is to figure out and have an understanding of what life really is. Whatever this is that we expireince everyday is extensivley complex, and as of right now I'm clueless.

13. I think we all are, but whenever I try to think about it I get hit with a sort of mental block. I'm not sure we are ever supposed to figure it all out.

14. What's a brain without proper dialogue, everyday you learn something new.

15. #15 *ColtClassic*, Apr 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2012
    I think we just talk in our heads because we learn language from an early age an it becomes wired into our brains.

If someone didn't speak at all, I think they could still have problem solving skills and think through things like a normal person, they just wouldn't hear their voice in their head.

Think of deaf people. They are incredibly capable, but people who are deaf from birth with no hearing whatsoever obviously don't know what their voice sounds like.

What about apes who can communicate with sign language and symbols, their form of communication is visual (besides grunts between fellow apes) and they are still capable of problem solving and forming primitive sentences.

So to answer your question, I think someone who doesn't communicate by auditory means simply doesn't have a concept of verbal communication and therefore doesn't hear their voice in their head.

16. #16 BluntAssassin, Apr 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2012
    Yes.
    Thoughts originate from words. You may be envisioning, say a huge blunt in your head. But if no one ever communicated to you what it was, then the blunt has no meaning to you.

Say you have a deaf person, you show them a wall. But they don't know that it is a wall. They can just make the connection that the wall you are showing them is indeed a tangible object.
    There was a radio show that went into this (can't find the transcript unfortunately) but they were saying that we look at a window and we make the connection within our brain that it is a window. Why? Because we were taught that it is a window through words. But a deaf person was never told that a window is a window or, his/her name for that matter.