Commercial setup LED configuration

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by FOL, Nov 6, 2018.

1. #1 FOL, Nov 6, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    Hello all!

We are a newly licensed medical grower in Oklahoma, looking for input on a LED light layout.

We are set on HLG QB288 and/or QB96 Elite boards, so it will either be a layout of one or both. I have attached a couple drawings of our tentative ideas, any input is appreciated.

Maybe we are overthinking it, or overkilling it? Maybe we just need 4 QB96 elites with 2 320W drivers per 4'x4' ?

Light 1.JPG Light 2.JPG

2. newly licensed, yes,
    medical growers, not yet.! lol

there r many variables in the commercial lighting configurations, you can not simply calculate wpsf x 4x8 tables,
    per drawings, this is going to be the most inefficient comm. grow to date, the HPS growers have better efficiency.!

search google (LOL) for commercial lighting specifications, it will not be the same as here.!!
    the numbers r out there it is up to u to convert them to QB/COB.

4 x 8 = 32 sf x 30-40 wpsf of QB = 960w-1280w per table
    the 300w difference is dependent on many variables and you could require even less then 30 wpsf.

as always, if u want good advice we need good info and pics,
    the help u get is only as good as the drawings we get.!!! lol

• Like Like x 1
  3. u got me, after i replied and had a smoke break and it hit me "we r licensed",
    going to start a ''commercial'' grow,
    yet novice tent growers here know more about lighting then u.......???????

another good way to get good advice is to NOT lie to people that might can help u.!!

good luck man.!

4. 4- qb96elite v2’s per 4x4 with an HLG-320H-54a driver per two boards would rock. You will have the ability to drive each board to 160+ watts if needed, but you can dial it back to find the sweet spot too.

I have two over my 2x4 scrog. They just started week 4 and are very happy. You could also run the 480H driver if you want more available power then dim it back some. The driver will run cooler this way too

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  5. That looks fantastic, has all that growth been with the QB96s or was it started with something else?

I know 4 QB96s would probably be adequate with two 320s in each 4x4, I just wanted to have fun with it honestly, I geek out on lighting. I don't want to go over 800w per 4x4 if possible, 640w would be ideal.

The original plan was 2 triple heat sinks with 3 288s and a 320 on each. Then I got a qb96 elite.... and really like the added red spectrum.

I'll start a thread showing what we have so far as far as our build out and current space.

• Like Like x 2
  6. I’m only flowering under the qb96elites. I veg under T5HO in a seperate area.

I also have 12- qb120’s over my 4x4 for complete coverage and about 700 watts.

[​IMG]

This ones coming down Saturday so she’s all droopy. Been almost a week on the flush

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  7. That looks great, I see you enjoy playing with the custom light arrangements as well...

You always this grumpy? Here some pics of our mother room and our new rooms being finished. Yes the wattage in the drawings is overkill, but that's what potentiometers are for.. Like I said, I originally planned on 640w and 6 QB288s per 4x4 area, but then I started playing with configurations and admittedly probably went overboard, pun intended.

Genetics Room.JPG Lights mothers.JPG New Flower Room.JPG New floower 2.JPG Utilities.JPG New Veg.JPG Genetics Room.JPG Lights mothers.JPG New Flower Room.JPG New floower 2.JPG Utilities.JPG New Veg.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  8. How tall are your ceilings?
    What style do you plan to grow? Scrog or big plants?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ceilings are 8' throughout. We are planning on experimenting with scrog and tall plants, to see what yields best. Since height is limited, I anticipate scrog will be what works best, with the trade off of time though..

I am by no means a vet at this, just a hobbyist who is lucky enough to live in a state that just passed a fantastic medical law that has allowed me to pursue this on an economically viable scale.

10. I’d probably go with the 288 boards myself.
    Are you planning to build your own setup?
    The 600h kits would be nice for 4x4 space.

11. Yes, building ourselves.

If we go QB288 only, I'm thinking 2 triple heat sinks with 3 boards a 320W driver on each in each 4x4. Cost will be similar to a 600 kit with better spread (the triple sinks are 36" long).

12. Even better! All 3000k or maybe a mix?
    You could do both 288 and 96s but I don’t really see the point personally.
    Would it be cheaper to do a 96 setup vs the 288s?

13. I have considered a mix to of 3 and 4k, I don't have any real scientific reason to back that up though.

The QB96s will cost about the same to build an equal wattage setup, what drew my attention was the boost of 670-680 nm red in them, and the fact that you can push 200+ watts through one, but that is also the limiting factor, because it would seem that light spread wouldn't be as good as an 8''x 11'' QB vs. the 4" QB96...

14. @Or_Gro is mapping the qb96elites now. Each one effectively covers a 2x2 area with some bleed over from the adjacent light.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. I know @Or_Gro has done some testing on the qb96s so it would give you an idea on spread. Might be able to hang them high and not have to adjust as much? As for the extra red I wouldn’t make that my determining factor cause you could always add more efficient red IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Though, not in the first position that comes to mind for most people - centering in 2x2 is not the correct answer...

17. #18 Or_Gro, Nov 9, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    Nope, for a 4x4, with four 96s, somewhere around 18” is the sweetspot for ~160 to 240w (sink rated 200w max, passive). Higher reduces spread eveness, lower creates an intolerable hotspot...Then add 6-8 far red diodes per 96 for emerson effect.

You want multiple levels of optimal ppfd and enuff reds for enerson effect, you have to use sufficient numbers of 120s/288s and add a qb35 for every two 288s.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Why wouldn’t it be centered? 10” in from each side of the tent is about center of a 2x2

19. 18” is the sweet spot which actually isn’t as much as I would think. Isn’t that about the same for the 288s?