Coming soon To a grasscity near you....

Discussion in 'General' started by Superjoint, May 14, 2007.

1. Vbulletin announced some new upcoming features, which we think will be an awesome addition to the grasscity.com community. I'm curious if you would be intrested to have the option to have a personal blog here at grasscity and that the social networking options of the city will be better.

let us know, peace

SJ

Announcing the First Official vBulletin Add-on Products

Building on the plug-in architecture offered by vBulletin 3.6, the development team have been hard at work creating new products to widen the gamut of features available to sites running vBulletin.

The first of these new products are now entering the final phase of internal development and testing and will soon be unleashed. This initial batch of products consists of two applications, both of which attach to a new or existing vBulletin installation.

These products have been entirely developed by the core vBulletin development team, rather than being third-party scripts that have been bought-in and adapted, so customers can expect the same level of quality and support as they have become accustomed to with the main vBulletin Forum system.

Blog and Social Networking

In response to user requests we have been working on a blogging system that will fully integrate with vBulletin. vBulletin Blog (a working title) will allow sites running vBulletin to extend the functionality to allow forum users to maintain weblogs from their user control panel and leverages the extensive vBulletin permissions system to enable administrators to fine-tune the features available to their visitors.

Blogs can be made private, with blog authors themselves able to create a list of users permitted to view their messages, while the vBulletin inline moderation system makes it easy to ensure that blogs and comments do not contain unwanted material.

Trackback and pingback support is fully integrated, so site owners can expect to quickly find related sites linking back to their own, improving search engine rankings and building traffic.

Additionally, vBulletin Blog adds social networking functionality to your vBulletin installation, which will allow your users to quickly and safely make connections and form relationships. Member profile pages are extended to include an enhanced buddy system, visitor tracking, blog integration and a comment system, all housed within a new and improved profile page template together with improved delivery of existing profile information.

As usual with vBulletin, every feature and template can be endlessly customised via the admin control panel, and can be extended even further with additional 3rd party plugins.

We are committed to developing tools to enhance your community and unite your members, and with the introduction of blogging and social networking support, vBulletin has become an advanced, exciting, platform on which your community can grow and flourish.

2. The social network thing sounds cool, kind of like a myspace for GC.
    I'm still a little confused about blogs, what are they, what is the point of them?

:hello:eric:hello:

3. qoute from blogger.com

What's a blog?

A blog is a personal diary. A daily pulpit. A collaborative space. A political soapbox. A breaking-news outlet. A collection of links. Your own private thoughts. Memos to the world.
    Your blog is whatever you want it to be. There are millions of them, in all shapes and sizes, and there are no real rules.
    In simple terms, a blog is a web site, where you write stuff on an ongoing basis. New stuff shows up at the top, so your visitors can read what's new. Then they comment on it or link to it or email you. Or not.
    Since Blogger was launched in 1999, blogs have reshaped the web, impacted politics, shaken up journalism, and enabled millions of people to have a voice and connect with others.
    And we're pretty sure the whole deal is just getting started.

4. Short answer: no, I already spend way to much time on Grasscity.

For my mental health, please don't do this.

5. Ehhh I'm not a big fan of blogs..

6. I know what you are saying, I wasn't a big fan of blogs either, but I totaly turned around when I started to dig deeper in the possibilites and fun of it. In case of grasscity, imagine how easy it would be to start a grow diary blog???? Cool featues, easy linking, sharing with friends. I think it will be awesome, but hey, just trying to make grasscity more fun and more of value to rthe members. Can't blame an admin to try :)

Peace

SJ

7. I've never tried blogs, but I geuss it wouldnt hurt!

:hello:eric:hello:

8. so it's gunna be like a livejournal?

I already have a journal where I rant and rave about my life :p

The buddy system part sounds cool :)

Yea you guys do whatever you want, I'm sure it'll work out well

9. I say YES to the changes. If it turns out I don't like the new features I just wont use them, simple as that.

10. I personally wouldn't be using one. But adding a blog to GC would be fine by me.

11. I think it's a wicked idea. I can only think of the possiblities :smoke:

Ahhh man, I'd like it alot man.

Superjoint, I love ya mayne! hahaha

12. Voted yes

...Good idea.

13. i vote no blogs....

14. yep i agree 100% i also voted yes and if the changes don't appeal to me i just wont use them

15. I think this is a cool idea. :)

16. It's not like new features can hurt, should make a fine addition to the city. :bongin:

17. Here! Here! :)

18. Just the other day I was thinking "I wish Grasscity had a blogging feature", so this comes as good news and I hope it is implemented! :)

19. Word.

Incredible idea.

20. I was going to vote no and point out that alot of "blogs" ussually end up being people whining because things don't work how they wanted them too in life, but then I read that statement. Blogs should be implemented for grow journals. Not only will it be easier to start and maintain, but I'm sure it will be easier to read and follow as well.

I voted yes, but it should serve a specific purpose.