Coming Out Of The Religious Closet

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Nizbomb, Jul 5, 2014.

1. Man, for the past 4 or 5 years, I've been an asshole to my family. I come from a really heavy christian family, and I'm the only i know of (past or present) that has rejected the belief in God. I have no desire to believe in a God, But I shouldn't judge those who do, yet I resent them for believing. I just don't see how anyone can believe in some all powerful being watching over us with the way the current state of the world is.(i hope that made sense). if they knew I was an atheist, they would disown me. I've told my mom about it, but she refuses to believe me, and gets extremely upset when I try to explain it to her. So she goes on, trying to ignore it, or refuse to believe. I don't know what she thinks anymore.

Anyway this point is, this opinion of mine is driving me away from my family. I don't want that. I love them very much. It's also affecting my personal life. It's hard to make friends here where I live with these views. I'm not about to change my beliefs or pretend i believe. I can't. It's too absurd to me. It defies common sense.  

I don't mean to disrespect anyone who is religious, but I am asking for any advice short of pretending to believe. I want them to know the truth and still love me. They're all I've got in this lonely world.

anyone out there? 

2. Ive been to many churches and synagogues and I am a hardcore atheist, but that doesnt mean I can find some value in their way of life.

I remember one time there was a holiday called Simchat Torah (the torah is a jews bible and this holiday was basically celebrating the book of life) and all the rabbis gave me drinks and everyone was dancing and having a good time.

Ive also been to many churches but their sessions are all about sin and how jesus died for you, which always put me off.

What im saying is try and get your family to meditate or some other spiritual activity that doesn't have to directly relate with the Flying Spaghetti Monster

3. #3 LuxTenebris, Jul 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2014
    Just ignore, Religion cannot be left behind without a desire to, they will never understand your position, and if they will disown you over it, its not worth it.

Dont debate it, dont say "you dont ever wonder if its all just archaic beliefs from an age where we had no understanding of how the world works" or point out how speaking to god is eerily similar to Schizophrenia, and since medication for Schizophrenia has come around, basically no one has heard from god anymore.

Just go along with it till you can get your own place and not worry about it.

4. #4 Heroic Dose, Jul 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2014
    ops family probably think meditation is sacrilegious based on what he said.

op, you camt do much. if you feel ot absolutely necessary you may try outlining your views on paper (keep it short, simple, nonjudgemental, and vaguely apologetic) and then never bring it up again. just leave it at that. make it clear, but dont rub it in their face.

they dont want to hear it, they wont hear it, and if you push enough they wont want to hear you anymore at all.

if they try to push you to do something religious you dont want to, refuse politely as possible and leave it at that.

if they are the type that would spend the rest of your life trying to convert you, you either need to not tell them anything or make it ABSOLUTELY clear your mind wont change and their preaching will only hurt your relationship. because if you dont and they are set to convert, that is all they will ever see or think about you ever again.

5. Thanks for the advice guys. And yes, they're hardcore. Pentecostal. speaking in tongue, fainting, raising their hands so God can't give them a high five. I can't pretend. I'm just so set in my ways, it's impossible. They'd never understand, but I want them to so badly. It's not fair, ya know. I love them, and I want to be apart of the family. Planning christmas parties, being there for weddings, seeings new additions to the family. most of all I want my mom to accept my views. I don't want to live in this world if she can't accept it and understand. My biggest fear is that she won't.    She can't.

Sorry for sounding depressed. I hate whining, but you guys are the most open minded people I can make easy contact with. The few friends that I have who share the same views comes from families who've always been atheists.
    I can't ignore it. It's always o my mind when i'm around them. I guess it's like being gay. they'd treat me the same way. like some sort of demon. 

I don't know why I want to be apart of their lives, when they would hate me if they knew the truth. 

6. You don't have to try to change anyone else's opinion about religion. 

You said you find it hard to make friends because of your views. Maybe it's how you express your views. No one likes a christian who is always trying to convert people..but on the other hand no one likes an atheist who is always talking down about religion. 

I personally think people are way too sensitive about religion

7. I'm atheist and live in the country pretty much now that we moved out of the hood and almost everyone is a bible thumper and it sucks , but I just ignore people's ignorant beliefs and judge them not on religion just how they are as a person ya know? Anyway stay lifted man

Sent from my iPod touch using Grasscity Forum

8. they shouldn't disown you for not believing - how is that practising love, kindness or forgiveness? that's like the opposite

9. Fuck all that bro, ur a smart guy, why do you care about having relationships with idiots? Religious people are irrational bro theres no way u can get them to accept u.

10. Im an athiest, but my family has no idea about it. I just dont say anything on the subject and walk away when people start talking about religion

Sent from inside a kangaroo's pouch

11. Please dont resent people who believe in God. It makes you no better than someone who may resent you for not believing.
    The only advice I can give you is just dont bring it up in conversation, then everyone is happy.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

12. Just keep it in don't argue and just listen don't give opinions. When you're on your own feel free. That is assuming you live with them. I had to tell my parents eventually and they are strong christians. They always say when i talk about my beliefs "are you Muslim!" and that was because i said that they shouldn't be judged and mosques should be fine wherever. Other time they asked me if i was something else because i was defending it at dinner. It's one thing they won't let go but we just have a don't ask don't discuss policy now.

13. #13 Old School Smoker, Jul 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2014
    Try having a tiny bit of an open mind to what the bible says. You cannot blame God for today's woes. God exempted God's self from today's woes. As explained in the bible, where Adam and Eve ate from the tree of consciousness. God said that the consequenses would be the woes of today's society.

Now why on Earth God did not explain why they should not eat the forbidden fruit, is beyond me. God did not explain that until after they ate it.  :confused_2:

14. Dude don't go around expressing your opinions cause I was once like you but you get to learn that no one cares. If someone asks just be like "oh I'm not that religious" and leave it at that. People will get offended if you talk about their god so just be carefull. I personally believe in a god but I think religions bullshit.