Coming out of retirement..... New Grow Box

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Baron Von Hooti, May 4, 2007.

1. Where'd you find that dayton blower? I went to home depot and they didnt have shit for inline fans

2. No there is still a lot of room in their 4" pots. Then again though I bet its the nutes. I was afraid to start to early and I think thats why Im behind, and I bet pot4my20friends is behind too. I started nutes yesterday and already see major improvements. Most of the journals, information, and threads I have read state to wait between 20-30 days to add nutes. That has now ceased. Nutes for all after a "weekish" lol. Dont know if you saw one of my other posts on T.Bug's thread, the other day (lol) but Ive started to modify and model my grow after yours, rumpleforeskin, and T.Bug. Thanks for all the info, great journal so far :)

EDIT: Oh yeah, love the shroomies!

3. sizz - yah my blower isn't an inline fan, it's a blower. not sure if that is what you are saying or not but they are 2 different types of fans. I got mine at a hydro store.

veodigital - yah it's not going to hurt them nuting after a week, just the first time go REALLY light. and I'm glad my thread has helped you!

4. Day 5

Hmmm, today I was checking things out and I hope that it was light sealed enough to induce flowering. Sure seems like it, they've really shot up, and I can clearly see preflowers on a female (!) so I'll know for sure in a couple days.

Attached Files:

5. Worm castings are supposed to be real good. I heard that bat guano is also good Fat leaves are caused by hi humidity. Plants look nice.

How many sets of leaves do you have when you start flowering?

Do you prune the tops of the plants to encourage more top growth?

Do you ever grow any hydro?

sneakers

6. Day 7

harvest day!

hehe, well harvest day for something! these are looking nice, it's been a while for these little guys.

plants are looking awesome

Attached Files:

7. This time I flowered more for timing reasons, but usually at least until 4 sets for me.

If I'm growing SCROG or something similar I'll top them, but in this case no. I have grown hydro, DWC, and I plan to again when I can grow from clone rather than from seed.

8. Day 10

2 are now confirmed females, the other is undecided at this point still.

Attached Files:

9. Plants are looking great baron, thats some good healthy growth. Be sure to keep up dating

10. How tall are they? How big are the pots? Do you plan on re-potting?

questions questions.. Thanks!

11. the one plant is about 18'' tall and the other is about 15''. I actually had to tie the main bud of the taller one down as it was just getting too close to the light.

no I replanted them right befor I tossed them in flowering so they'll finish in those.

watch for new pics really soon!

12. Day 12

I'm now 90% sure that the one plant is a male so it's been placed in a closet to make 100% sure before I get rid of it.

Got 2 more little guys in there, again from seed so I hope they're both female.

You can see on the taller plant were I tied it down, already growing upward again.

Attached Files:

13. first--great job on your grow so far! I'm currently on my first, and having major major issues, and thinking that maybe i should've started small and worked my way up--as it appears that my setup has some major flaws. so i'm toying with the idea of setting up something else, but cringing at the fact that it is going to cost me a ton more money...i've already got about 2500 sunk in to this rig.

Few questions for you--and please forgive my stupidity:

1. how many plants do you feel you could comfortably fit in your cabinette? What would be your prefered method of growing them if you could pick one, and why?

2. i can't see the pics so well, so can you explain where the glass is, and how that helps? I have a huge inline fan that i feel could vent the shit out of something that small, how did you mount the light? Would a hood be too big for that system?

3. do you live in a house or apartment, and how old is it if so? thinking that i may have an electrical deficiency issue, but not sure. i currently have a 600 hps on an electronic balist that isn't currently working, do you think a smaller light would fix that issue?

4. if i were going to switch to a lower wottage bulb, would that require a new balist?

5. and this is for the entire community, i am a new grower, who's never really gone at this before, what do you think would be the easiest system for someone in an apartment, which would yield aprox 8 to 10 oz's every 3 months or so...that's all i want--just enough for me. I need something easy, as i have trouble seeing, so simple is better...but i don't want to sacrifice quality for simplicity if that makes sense.

Anyway, thanks for any answers--i can't wait to read any responses! :)

14. 1. how many plants do you feel you could comfortably fit in your cabinette? What would be your prefered method of growing them if you could pick one, and why?

- in my cabinet 3 full size plants is about it. Ideally I'm only going to use 1 or 2 plants in a SCROG, as I find it the most productive method and the most fun.

2. i can't see the pics so well, so can you explain where the glass is, and how that helps? I have a huge inline fan that i feel could vent the shit out of something that small, how did you mount the light? Would a hood be too big for that system?

- the glass is about 3'' below the light, and it's the dimensions of the cabinet with a 2'' space on the side that the air passes by. The means that the fan draws all of the air past the light and cools it. I haven't found a hood that would fit in this cabinet. The light is mounted with chains and backup chains. Kind of a mickey-mouse way but it's in there solid.

3. do you live in a house or apartment, and how old is it if so? thinking that i may have an electrical deficiency issue, but not sure. i currently have a 600 hps on an electronic balist that isn't currently working, do you think a smaller light would fix that issue?

- my residence is about 30 years old. A smaller light would draw less wattage but I can't really answer your question further than that.

4. if i were going to switch to a lower wottage bulb, would that require a new balist?

- yes, a 600w ballast needs a 600w light, a 400w a 400w etc to be safe. I wouldn't chance doing anything else.

5. and this is for the entire community, i am a new grower, who's never really gone at this before, what do you think would be the easiest system for someone in an apartment, which would yield aprox 8 to 10 oz's every 3 months or so...that's all i want--just enough for me. I need something easy, as i have trouble seeing, so simple is better...but i don't want to sacrifice quality for simplicity if that makes sense.

- gee that's a tough order to fill for someone who hasn't grown before and lives in an apartment. The only way I could see you doing this is to have an extremely efficient SCROG grow or a SOG. I also like the SCROG because it is only a couple plants rather than a ton. 8-10ozs can be done from a 400w SCROG, but you have to really know what you're doing to pull that much. It takes time and practice to get to this point, only learned by reading and experience.

hope this helps

15. thanks for all of the answers--they definitely helped. reading gave me more questions though. haha

i've seen you mention SCROG and SOG a few times, what do those two terms stand for?

do you have the ability to move your light, or is it stationary? does this seem to matter when growing in a setup like yours?

heck, at this point i'd be happy with 4 oz's, i just want something that i don't have to buy. lol

hoping that joining the forum will help me--so far i've been learning a lot.

16. i've seen you mention SCROG and SOG a few times, what do those two terms stand for?

- SOG is a sea of green, cramming a maximum amount of clones in your setup and flowering them straight from clone. Ideally a bunch of 1 bud small plants.

SCROG is a screen of green, essentially using a few plants, and training them using a screen to direct the growth horizontally rather than vertically, so you have many buds rather than a few big ones.

IMHO both methods can yield similar results, not a huge yield difference either way if done right. Personally, I feel a lot better growing 1 or 2 plants rather than 15. Personal preference though. And like I said, I think SCROG is more fun. Your skill and effort are directly proportional to yield.

do you have the ability to move your light, or is it stationary? does this seem to matter when growing in a setup like yours?

- no it's stationary. I pretty much put stuff under my plants to get them closer to the light.

17. Great stuff!! :)

Can you tell me how you use the screen to train your girls? That definitely sounds good to me--i have the ability to get as many clones as i'd like, but at ten bucks a pop, that gets kinda expensive--so a SCROG sounds like it would probably be the best way to go about it.

1. do you grow in soil or hydro/airo/any other method?

2. you said 2 to 3 plants--how large of buckets do you use? I have a number of 8 liter (2 gal) buckets that i've been using with hydroton and a waterfarm system--wondering if i could just drop a cocomat in to the bottom of them and go with soil.

3. i'm in the market for a new bulb/balist, anyone know of the best place to order one from? looking at a 400 hps...do you think electronic or magnetic balists are best?

18. Day 14

The stretch is almost over. The tying down of the one plant has worked awesome, it's just the height I want now.

Man I love seeing the buds develop, it's been almost a year since I last grew and I forgot how antsy a guy gets ;)

smell is getting there............ I need more windows

answers:

hmm, scrog in a nutshell. you place a screen over the plants, I use 2'' holes. I place the screen anywhere from 4'' to a foot about the plants. Then as the plants grow vertically through the holes, you move the growth so that it goes horizontally, eventually filling the screen. Once it's all filled, you switch to flower.

once in flower you still train to optimize the screen, ideally you want a forest of buds all the same height.

that's it in a nutshell, there are plenty of in-depth guides on this site

1. do you grow in soil or hydro/airo/any other method?

- I've grown soil an hydro, both are good but I don't find it efficient to start seeds in hydro. Especially in a limited space setup like mine.

2. you said 2 to 3 plants--how large of buckets do you use? I have a number of 8 liter (2 gal) buckets that i've been using with hydroton and a waterfarm system--wondering if i could just drop a cocomat in to the bottom of them and go with soil.

these plants are in 2 gallon buckets, when I've done a 1 or 2 plant scrog under a 400w though I've used 5 gallon buckets.

3. i'm in the market for a new bulb/balist, anyone know of the best place to order one from? looking at a 400 hps...do you think electronic or magnetic balists are best?

I've heard really good things about electronic ballasts, don't have one though. can't really answer as to good places online to order as I've never ordered one online. look around though, I'm sure you can find some good recommendations!

Attached Files:

19. Day 15

Yikes! I hope the stretch is over, I didn't realize just how tall they are until I took them out!

Looking good though, those 2 little seedlings are doing good too

Attached Files: