Coming out of retirement..... New Grow Box

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Baron Von Hooti, May 4, 2007.

1. Day 13

Added a few new seeds to the mix as 3 plants is a less than ideal number.

Plants are looking good, seeming to like the replanting. Man I forgot how exciting it is to get up every morning and see the progress!!

As to the second picture, I'm also coming out of retirement in another avenue. I forgot how much fun this all is!!

Attached Files:

2. Plants and cabinet both looking good :). Pulling in a chair for this, can't wait to see them get big.

3. Day 15

I decided yesteday that I needed to finish this bad boy off. I had it up and running but it was still lacking a few improvements I needed to make.

First off I wanted to make the light shielded and air cooled. Second I wanted to get all the dang wires out of the way and mounted to the box. Last I wanted to shield the light from the edge of the box (the doors) as it got slightly warm there and safety is always of utmost concern.

First I rolled up the light cord as it was 10' and I needed about 10''. I did the same to the cord for the blower and then I secured the rolled up cords. I then used these little clips I bought to secure all of the wires to the wall so they wouldn't move. I used the back piece whenever possible as this is strong plywood and the other walls are pressboard.

Next I got a piece of glass cut to the size of the cabinet that would leave 2'' at one side for airflow. I got some shelf mounts to hold the glass. I then took some left over roof flashing and sealed off the light's outer edge to a) make it an air cooled light and b) shield it from the door and my eyes when I open the box.

Here are the results. I just need to give it a test run to make sure everything works properly and then it's good to go.

The air cooled light is always a good idea, and I designed the box so all air would flow across the light to give it maximum cooling.

Plants are looking good, one is a bit of a runt but it did get a fan dropped on it hehe and I got a couple seedlings going too.

Attached Files:

4. where do you get a cool tube for 59 bucks??

5. Day 17

Things are starting to really get growing now. I added a little 4'' computer fan for additional circulation as well as to get some wind on the plants to build up their stems.

Big strong stems are needed for (hopefully) the big fat buds.

I also have 2 more little seedlings on the go.

The strain is Northern Lights x Hash Plant, don't think I've mentioned that yet.

Attached Files:

6. Hmm, looking good, nice "dangaling" fan haha. Anyways I like the way that it is coming out, with your light do you not have to put your plants as close?(queston).
    ill be watching haha:)
    shr00m

7. Day 20

yah, I think they are indicas :eek:

those are some broad ass leaves. Looking good, moved them a little closer to the light (thanks pal) and they really seem to be liking the extra ventilation.

the air cooled light works sooo much better. the light is about 2'' from the glass, but when I open the doors when it's on the glass is just barely warm. All that airflow does the trick nicely.

I plan to grow these only until they are big enough to clone and them clone them and flower them. My ultimate plan is a 1 plant scrog, I've always had really good luck doing that.

Attached Files:

8. Day 23

Coming along. These are some faaaattttt leaves I tell ya.

Attached Files:

9. Day 24

I decided to repot the big guys into 2 gallon pots which they will stay in. I have to flower these guys earlier than I had planned because of some timing issues so I'll be throwing them into flower within a couple of days.

I got these strains from a friend breeder so I didn't know too much about the lineage. Unfortunately, they stink. Quite a bit, and they're young. That is part of the reason I have to get them finished but oh well. Nice healthy plants so they should give me enough to get by till I can crop out again.

I love the root shots!!

PS any responses on the earliest you've flowered from seed? how were the results?

Attached Files:

10. Hey nice looking plants, too bad about the timing issues. I'm quite interested to see what the yield is off those. Good luck with the rest of the grow.

11. Day 1 flowering

Plants are 26 days old when I started flowering. Today is day 3 of flowering but these pics are from a couple of days ago.

I'm pretty sure I saw a female preflower on one of the plants today! good news!

I will post updates tonight, enjoy.

Attached Files:

12. Those look like some real indica dominant girlys there...
    Are you planning on mylar in your cab... it really improves light penetration...
    looking good though man, ill tag along for the ride,,,
    nice sig dv30...lol...

keeping it green, budslinger......

13. Hmm lookin nice man. Makes me realize I must be doing something wrong.....Im on day 28, since sprout, and my plants look like yours did on day 17, but the stems arent as thick. 400w MH, Growing in a closet, I have a 20" fan blowing directly on them, ventilation was somewhat of an issue, as Im in an apartment and do not want any fan grills leading out of the closet to draw attention if some staff member wanted to "clean the coils" on my A/C. Ive been leaving the door open when I am home. I havent started feeding them nutes yet, but Im going to get some tomorrow. I had heard they have all the food they need for a month, so thats why I waited.

14. Hey your grow is looking real nice. Keep it up!

15. Ironic I PM'ed you with a few questions and here you are with a grow of your own going. As I read all the posts to catch up I questions a few of your methods vs what I read in the stickies but after seeing your plants at 26 days old I'm not sayin sh*t! Mine are 22 days old (from the time I saw the first seed pop open in the wet paper towel I germ'ed them in, so maybe in actual growing in the dirt time I'm a week behind you) but my plants are only between 2"-3" tall! So kudos to you on what you got going and I hope the new CFL's I ordered speed my grow up :cry:

16. budslinger - I painted the back wall but I may still mylar it, thanks for the advice

veodigital - yah I nute starting about day 10 or so. really light the first time, but I've always heard they need nutes after about a week-ish. have they outgrown their pots?

D Rock - thanks dude!

Day 3

My god these things shot up a solid inch at least in the last 12hr dark period! I couldn't believe it when I opened it up.

One plant is a confirmed girl, the other 2 can't tell yet. Hoping that doesn't mean they're males but it's just wait and see.

I'll try to get some pics not in the light in the morning.

Attached Files:

17. Planning to do like you did with the other grow?

What do you plan to do if you have more then one female?

18. no this grow it's just going to be straight up flower em. SCROG works best with clones by far, and it's pretty much a bad idea to do with unfeminized seeds if you are growing from seed.

if there is more then one female I'm going to party! hehe I hope they're all females.

Here's an update on a different grow, they are coming up nice!

Attached Files:

19. Nice looking plants Baron...hummmmm, what ya got growing there ^^ ;), lol!