Comfrey Canna Salve Recipe For Aches & Pains

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by missinglighter, Aug 18, 2016.

1. #1 missinglighter, Aug 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2016
    I've been making comfrey canna salve for several months now and it's been working well for patients who have fibromyalgia, arthritis, joint and back pain.

My brother like to take pics of old buildings/architecture so he was in an abandoned house last summer. He was upstairs walking around when he fell through the floor. His groin stopped his fall when it hit a beam in the ceiling. His frank and beans were black he told me. The doctor said it would take around six months to look normal again. My brother in his mid 20's was not happy since his junk was out of commission.

So he made a comfrey poultice taking plant material and grinding it into a paste where he smothered in his frank. He healed twice as quick applying morning and night. So I thought it would be great with cannabis and essential oils added to make into a simple salve.

With the warming salve I'm sharing, you can adjust the essential oils as you want for more warmth. The cooling salve needs to have more peppermint so I'll get back to you on that but can be adjusted too. if you have sensitive skin, i would skip the cinnamon and go with the lower dose of clove oil. if it is not warm enough, add more a little at a time. to test it out, make a sample size on a plate or in a bowl. stick it in the fridge to set fast. test it out and see if it is too hot or not hot enough. then adjust the main mix as desired. if you let this set and later on desire more warmth, then heat it up and add more essential oil and then let it cool all over again.
    image.jpg
    This will make a pint jar.
    173 grams of coconut oil the solidified kind.
    3 mL peppermint
    3 mL cinnamon
    25-40mL of clove bud
    43 grams beeswax

This is using a base of 4:1 oil:beeswax and as long as you don't go over a 5:1 ratio, it should have a similar consistency. I like the 4:1 as its solid still but soft enough to get a little scoop. You don't need very much. The olive oil is easier to handle but the coconut oil is faster absorbing. Olive oil will also stay a solid whereas you need to refrigerate coconut oil because it will be liquid when this is mixed up even if it was solid at the same room temp. So there are some good benefits to using olive oil as the base. you can adjust the oil:beeswax ratio to help it stay hard so on hot months you can use less oil and more beeswax or cold months use more oil and less beeswax. if storing in your home at room temp, olive oil stays solid unless it's sitting in the sun. very easy to handle. be sure to keep in a well sealed container if keeping in a car or pocket as it will leak when it melts.
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    So I use a pan of water as a double boiler and fill the water almost up to the same level as the salve. I add the beeswax and oil then heat on medium high till melted. Stirring helps but this does take a bit.

The faster it cools the less lumpy it gets and the mixture stays uniform so I give it a lukewarm water bath. I have a room temp jar ready to go and dump my mixture in it. The jar can also be used that you plan on using but be sure to be careful doesn't doesn't crack.

If you don't have access to fresh comfrey, you can purchase dried comfrey flakes (large prices of leaves) but not ground powder as I imagine it would be hard to strain from the oil and you'd get plant material in your oil. I have bought it before in winter time for $1.75 an ounce. I used plant material for this but if I had to do it over again, I would heat the comfrey alone in the oil for as long as you can on 170-200F. You can also sit it in a warm spot or sun. When it's ready, then I would strain the comfrey, and then add hash then proceed to do BadKittySmiles way of making canna caps but skip the lecithin as it doesn't allow the beeswax to set and it stays goopy. The way I made it works just fine though. You can also substitute olive oil. It doesn't absorb into the skin as fast as coconut. It is more like a massage oil feeling. You can rub your sore spots for a long time. Motion heats it up so the feedback I got is that is a nice benefit to be able to massage it longer. The coconut oil is absorbed in ten minutes or less while the olive oil leaves your skin shiny and oily for around a half hour while it absorbs.

I bought an air compressed hand pump mister in the kitchen section used for making your own spray oil for skillets like the spray aerosol non stick sprays but you can fill it with any oil. I haven't tried it yet with the olive oil canna oil but I use it for regular olive oil and it really is a nice misting spray. So if you want a vegan option the oil straight up is just as good. Hope this helps. :) It's really helped me and others so I thought I'd share.

Also, this is not edible. Comfrey has alkaloids that might harm you but I know people have ingested it in tea form. My concern is this is a concentrate. Plus it would taste very green from the comfrey.

• Like Like x 1
  2. i thought i would share my sources so you all can read more about how to make this sort of thing. theres recipes for tiger balm, white tiger balm, butters, Bandit Oil which is a knock off of a popular organic healing salve, emu oil balms and all sorts of other stuff for lotions and whatever your heart desires.

A Quick Guide to Coconut Oil & Beeswax Ratios - Humblebee & Me

A Quick Guide to Beeswax & Liquid Oil Ratios - Humblebee & Me

A Guide to Making Substitutions in DIY Recipes - Humblebee & Me

salves, body butter bars, whipped butters, roll-on stick applied balms, spray oils and just a lot of cool stuff.
    How to Make Salves & Naturally Healing Recipes - Humblebee & Me

i saved some of the oil to take a bath soon. not like i'm a dirty birdy but when you add oil to a hot bath, it helps open up the pores of your skin and the oil covers your whole body and you only need a tablespoon worth so if you are having full body pain, i think this would really work well. after your bath, you have to rub it in. you can towel dry to without having any issue ruining towels and enjoy some seriously smooth baby skin.

I also buy my essential oils at Liberty Natural Products - The Essential Oil Source because its the best quality and well priced. there is a $50 minimum order but if you want several essential oils either for the healing properties or just to make it smell less clove like, then this really isn't an issue. peppermint oil for 8 oz is $25-30 and clove bud oil is about the same price. the bottles come well packaged and quick. feel free to order where ever you want but this way you can order in bulk. 30 mL is an ounce to give you an idea. if you choose to use raw beeswax, you must clean it before using. don't ask me how so i just buy the pellets of beeswax. there are other waxes you can use that are vegan and those are in the recipes and articles section of the website.

if you want to learn more about comfrey in your garden, check out GC's Symphytum: The Comfrey Thread

to read more about comfrey and it's benefits, Use Comfrey Root as a Natural Remedy
    "The genus name for comfrey is Symphytum, which means to "unite or knit together." The name com-firma means simply, "knitting of bones." You can use the leaf and the root, fresh or dried."

"Comfrey contains a special substance called allantoin, which is a cell proliferative. In other words, it makes cells grow faster. This is one of the reasons why comfrey-treated bones knit so fast, wounds mend so quickly and burns heal with such little scarring. Comfrey is often called knitbone or healing herb.

This same substance, allantoin, is found in the placenta of a pregnant mother which helps the baby grow rapidly. After the baby is born, allantoin is also found in the mother's milk — abundantly at first and less so as the child grows."

"Comfrey is very rich in chlorophyll ("green magic"), which is one reason why Dr. Kirschner used it in his green drink. After all, the only difference between chlorophyll and our blood is that our blood molecule is built around an iron atom and the chlorophyll molecule is built around a magnesium atom."

For more info on chlorophyll and our blood, try google. I feel like adding comfrey to the great healing properties of cannabis salve is a great way to harness both wonderful plants healing qualities.

• Like Like x 1
  3. PORK AND BEANS
    OUCH!!!!

• Like Like x 1