combatwombat's Stealth Rubbermaid CFL LST Grow with Bagseed [WIP]

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by combatwombat, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Hey gang.

What's this?

[​IMG]

Just some storage bins.

[​IMG]

Uh oh. That's not right.

[​IMG]

As I suspected, it appears as though someone is preparing to grow some drugs. Delicious, delightful drugs.

I thought a lot about my grow setup before ultimately deciding on using two 18 gallon rubbermaid tubs bolted together. Originally I was designing it for my closet, but I noticed it could also easily fit in stealthily at the foot of my bed (and thus, get more air circulation) so that works, I guess. It's big enough for right now, and in the future could house a single, smaller bubble bucket.

I have some stuff to finish; most obviously I have a glowing problem. But let's take a look at what I do have constructed. Please excuse the poor picture quality, I had to use a camera phone because my camera died.

The light setup:

[​IMG]

It's four 26w CFLs plugged into two power strips taped together with two 1x1 planks to form a 45 degree angle. That ghetto rig is attached to adjustable chains attached to a longer plank that rests across the tops of the handles just under the lid. This allows me to open both the top lid with ease, and I can take them out if necessary.

The intake system:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I went with a passive intake, because I was afraid if I used a fan the hot air would just sit in my box. That's no good. It's constructed of an elbow, a t joint, and a male adapter screwed through the plastic into the female adapter (like that scene in Aeon Flux). I plan on getting a little fan to just blow the cold air that gets sucked in across my plants that will rest on my t joint.

The exhaust system:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It took me forever to come up with an idea for an exhaust system that was also lightproof while still being relatively stealth and didn't intrude on my grow space, and I came across a video where a guy put three slats in a box to light proof it. Then I simply turned the box into a chimney, which rests snugly on the side of my top box. The intake is at the top to get the hot air and not the cold air that just got sucked in.

Like I said, this is still a work in progress. I'm going to spray paint the interior flat white, because it's a hell of a lot easier than putting up mylar. That should stop the glowing. Afterward I'm going to fasten all the cables away to get them out of the grow areas. Finally, and most importantly, I need to finish my special pots for LSTing.

What do you think, GrassCity?

2. reserved for future indexing

3. pretty neat ;) , but wouldnt 2 storage bins right next to ur bed make people wonder whats in them ?

4. #4 Joe Luxon, Jan 23, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
    [​IMG]

Sorry mate Couldn't help it, that box looks like its gone nuclear :D

Attached Files:

5. Yeah I too am wondering how people won't be suspicious when they see those storage bins in your room, that may have fan like sounds coming out of it.

6. Sorta. I have a tiny room so it would make sense that I have them there for storage. Plus, no one really ever comes into my room, and the people that do already know what I'm doing, so I don't think it would be too much of a problem.

They're pretty much silent. With my computer off they make a faint noise, but with my computer on it drowns them out. My computer is always on when I'm home, and when I'm not, my door is shut.

The thing I'm most worried about is smell, actually. I don't have a carbon filter so there's probably going to be a pretty weedy smell soon enough. I can still put it in my closet, it's just that this way I don't have to run a bunch of suspicious wires through the closet door.

@ Joe: Yeah, it fills my room up with a nice, eerie blue glow.

7. You must be a very clean person lol.

When you spray painting them?

8. Well, I was going to spray paint them way earlier today but I ended up passing out. So, probably right now before the sun goes down. Also, I drove all over town today and couldn't find a single store that had a damn small fan.

9. Check target?

10. Checked there, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Home Depot, Lowe's... I may have to break down and buy one from online. The temp under the lights without a circulating fan is at 80, while by the intake it's at 73. So, it should still be fine for my saplings.

11. *pulls up a chair*

12. Are you going to light proof them?

13. Yes, I've been doing that this weekend, as well as adjusting a few more things. Sorry for the lack of updates, but I've been more concerned about getting the damn thing done than posting updates on its construction. I should be ready to have my plants in there tomorrow night, if nothing else goes wrong...

14. Good luck. I'll be watching.

15. Got to tell you, I have mine in my office, my dad came into my office, talked to me, never even realized that they were not storage bins....trust me, he would have asked... if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck....in most cases, people believe it is a duck :cool:

16. Those look sick, can't wait to see when you begin growing with them dude :D