Coloured energy saving light bulbs red/blue

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Bravo228, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Hello im a complete noobie to the entire growing scene however i want to start.

Ive been reasearching heavily and have found out that Red light promotes flower growth and blue, stem grow ? Im not sure if thats 100% correct however i keep stumbling along all of these videos and pictures of people with thousands of LED's... so i thought, why not just by a red light bulb?

Will this work? Im not sure as i said im completely new to the scene.

However this is what ive found.

Helix Compact Energy Saver 18W BC Red - Coloured Helix 18W - Energy Savers — (UK) Light bulbs, halogen lamps, spot lights and tubes by mail order in the UK

Helix Compact Energy Saver 18W BC Blue - Coloured Helix 18W - Energy Savers — (UK) Light bulbs, halogen lamps, spot lights and tubes by mail order in the UK

along witth some normal white lights.

Any experts like to share some views ?

Many thanks.

2. When growing, the purpose of the light is to re-create the condition the sun gives. Thats why you get 6500K for the vegitative stage, because that emulates the hot, bright sun of the summer that we all love so much. Then, when you go into flowering stage, you change out the 6500K bulbs for 2700K bulbs, because that is close to the fall sun, which is not as bright. (well actually its because we are further away from the sun, but you know what i mean) Those bulbs are more expensive than ones that are PROVEN to work.

In short, don't buy those, buy Daylight 6500K bulbs for the vegetative stage, switch to 2700K when time to flower.

3. Thanks for the insight. Before i start doing this i want to have passed with a degree in ganja growing knowladge. So i need to find all this out.