colors

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by randgen, May 3, 2013.

1. im totally tripping out about this. what is a color? how does our mind produce them? why can't we imagine an unseen color? try to describe what green looks like to a blind person.

i mean i kno colors are the way our brain interprets different wavelengths of light and whatnot but how does the mind actually see colors, because we can't imagine them on our own...

idk....:bongin:

2. You can't imagine them on your own? What colors do you see when you rest your eyes?

3. of course i can imagine the colors i know but what perplexes me is how we can't imagine a NEW color, yet the mind somehow manages to invent the colors we can see.

4. Have you ever seen the energy that fabricates our world? I don't know what color I'd call that.

5. Well, light frequencies of different wavelengths hit the rods and cones of the eye causing certain electrical reactions based on these frequencies which the brain then interprets into what we see as colour. The mind doesn't invent the colours, it seems more like it interprets them out of the different electrical signals it receives.

It's interesting that on the whole, most of us see the same frequencies as the same colour. I don't know whether you can imagine a new colour, as surely we've seen so many colours by this point that anything we might must come from what has already been seen.

6. Go to YouTube and search "vsauce colors" .. id link it but I'm on mobile. It'll answer all those questions