Color of the trichs

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Brumac, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Little high at the moment so bare with me.

I was reading High Times magazine and I read the article by Jorge RX. He was talking about the color of the trichomes and when to harvest. I've also read on here somewhere that the darker the color the more "couch lock" a user will experience.

Can one take a microscope/magnifier to check the color of any street bud a person buys to know what kind of high that person will get? I can remember smoking some bud that still felt very moist and it was the most intense high I've ever experienced (head wise). I was thinking maybe cured to quickly? Do you think the trichomes were still milky or whitish in color because of this? I've also smoked "old looking bud" and its relaxed me, put me in the recliner for a few hours. Does the color of the trichomes really effect the high that much?

2. If you harvest earlier you also get the head high or ot could have been a sativa dominate strain. A pocket loupe works good to look at the trichs. Darker the color the more couch lock.

3. So if I purchase - say a half ounce of dank and place in an airtight jar, are those nugs still curing e.g. the trich's degrading over time? For instance, if I bought pot could I let it sit in jars for a few months then smoke for the body high?

Sorry, stupid question but its all very interesting.

4. From my experience, yeah the curing process will still continue. I've had some dank and left a nug in a bottle for two weeks while I finished the other product...that last nug was the best shit from that bag, hands down...smell, taste, high were all much more intense. The trichs don't necessarily change in the curing, meaning the type of high itself won't change much...that is determined mostly during growing and how mature the trichs are when you harvest.

Trichs WILL affect the high very much so...it's all about how broken down the THC and other cannibinal checmicals are (I don't know the chemistry jargon, search for it here...). Basically there are two main chemicals that affect the high, one of which gives the sativa-esque high, the other an indica-esque stone...and when one chemical breaks down, it promotes that indica/couch lock stone...thats what those amber trichs are.

When it comes to looking for trichs on street bud, I'm not sure...I think it would depend on the quality...some schwag/brick probably wouldn't have a lot of trichs left on it (that's why it's schwag), but if you pick up some dank, you might see some trichs there but not like you'd see on some fresh home grown/cured buds, ya know.

No stupid questions man...you're touching on one of the most intriguing aspects of pot, as far as I'm concerned.

5. First off, the timing of the trichs gives you only some control over the kind of high you get, but by far the biggest influence is the strain/genetics. In other words, you'll never get a pure sativa high from an indica plant based on the timing of the harvest.

As for curing commercial bud, I disagree, by the time it's being sold on the street most likely it's too old and been too poorly stored for any further curing to do anything.

6. Well, yeah...for commercial crap. I was talking about dank, ya know. It all depends on the type of bud when it comes to "curing" bought product.

You're right about the strain, thing...i forgot to mention that :( thanks

7. Lets say I had a sativa strain, grew it, waited until the trich's were dark amber then harvested. Would this make void the sativa head high and just give the couch lock?

8. Now, read this;

The "couch-lock" feeling you get is mainly from indica strains. Sativa strains will always give you that sativa high, the dark trich's just give it that deeper "stone".

This is personally why I'm not a huge fan of indica's, and if I grow one, I only intend to keep it around for when I have trouble sleeping, or if I want to fall asleep lol.

Even a very, very ripe Sativa will give you that head high, and that good body high to mix with it. It's really why most people would prefer a sativa over an indica.