Color Changing Glass

Discussion in 'Smoking Pipes, Glass Spoon Pipes' started by SpaceTrippp, Jan 5, 2010.

1. #1 SpaceTrippp, Jan 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2010
    Hey all, I just bought my first store bought Pipe and I have been wondering if it's going to change colors?

[​IMG]

The middle part is what I can explain best as being half a glass marble with those weird designs on the bottom of it, leveled with the rest of the pipe. Other than that the rest of the pipe is a pure black, but still obviously can be seen through. (When looking through the carb or bowl.)

2. From what looks like it from the low quality pic, no because it looks like a solid color glass not fumed.

3. Yeah, sorry, it was a cell phone camera. Thanks anyway.

4. I'd agree with this. :smoking:

5. Pretty much what everyone else said, only fumed glass is color changing. When it's not fumed the colors usually don't change at all.

Fumed:

[​IMG]

Not fumed:

[​IMG]

6. Only fumed glass exibits color changing qualities over time; so sorry homeboy, it'll stay that way. But, it's a nice looking piece, so good buy anyways.

7. looks pretty good, i prefer large glass if its going to be color changing tho.

8. hey, can anyone explain to me what makes a glass piece change colors?

9. Gold or silver, or both together.

10. silver or gold is heated in front of the pipe, the fumes are then blown by the flame on the pipe

11. I'd agree with this :)

12. Its the light reflecting of the resin

13. i have 2 glass changing pieces well i think the other ones does because it was all blue when i got it. now i cleaned it now its blue with stripes lol weird

14. i realize this but what is it that makes the gold and silver turn colors? likke the heat or smoke for exammmmple?

i think in alot of cases, bowls only change colors when their resin'd in. but when i first got my piece, there was no fumed color and now after 2 years its about 1/4 colored. so the resin helps show the color, but even when its completely cleaned, the color is still visable.