Colloidal silver single plant

Discussion in 'Cannabis Breeding' started by Dystrophy05, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and searched through a few post but couldnt find exactly what I was looking for I'm hoping someone can help me out

I've been growing for a few years and I want to try and get some seeds from a few strains I like. The problem is I work away from home for 3 weeks and come home.for 3 weeks. I have my grow pretty well automated so when I'm gone the plants are fine.

I've made up some colloidal silver and I'm getting ready to try it out. The only problem is I can apply it and flip to flower when I get home and by the time.i go back to work the branch should be showing Male and I can stop using the spray. I wont be able to collect the pollen and apply it to the flowers as most guys do, with a brush or whatever.

My question is this,
    If I flip the plant and get it to grow pollen sacks will it be okay to go to work and leave the plant flowering. I figure I can do a higher branch and my ossilating fan will blow the pollen around when the sacks pop and pollinate the other branches flowers

This plant is solely for seeds so I dont care about protecting any buds to smoke. It will be a plant by itself in a tent so I'm not worried about cross breeding or anything like that.

I haven't seen anybody just change a branch to male and let the plant do its thing and pollinate itself. I figure it would work but wanted to see if anyone has ever tried it before I give it a go.

If there is an thread on this already I'm sorry for a double post. Of you could direct me there I would appreciate it

Thanks

2. hi ya Dystrophy5 , i've only just started at this but i have successfully turned a female to male and made seeds by shaking the boy over the girl in a small 2ftx2ft tent .
    The treated female will make pollen for at least a week so i reckon you might be ok with just the fan moving pollen around , but they don't flower like a normal male , the male flowers are tightly bunched and might need a jolt to let go the pollen .
    Have a look at my post on what i did
    using colloidal silver , how long for?
    good luck!

3. Sounds good. I think I'll probably just go for it and see what happens. I'll update once I get to the end point.

Anyone else have input I'd like to hear it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. hi Dystrophy05 , i see that you made your own colloidal silver , how can you tell what strength it is?
    i made some with silver wire electrodes in distilled water but the ec/us meter never reads more than 20.

5. You can also turn the fan down or off right before the pollen sacs open up, then collect them quickly to prevent the pollen from spreading everywhere. It could contaminate other tents if it gets airborne, by trying to contain it you might end up much better off.

6. Hey man sorry for the long absence. I've been busy with some thing but I'm running some colloidal silver right now. I'll give you a ppm update at 12hrs or running.

7. At 24volts after 12hrs I am r eww adding 11ppm on my colloidal silver mixture. It is very cloudy and a dark color.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. So I'm not sure. Looks like somehing may be wrong. After about 20 hrs I'm at down to 9ppm. And it looks like this 20190316_192324.jpg

9. #9 wombat#, Mar 18, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    Are you using distilled water?
    The first lot i used de-ionised water with 2 drops of 0.9% normal saline ( .9 grams of salt in 100ml of deionised water) at 12 volts dc for about 12 hrs and the reading on the new TDS meter( the old one was wrong) was 45 ppm and the colour is yellowish. Tap water on the right. DSCN3932.JPG DSCN3931.JPG
    The second lot i did was with distilled water , no salt added and after 18 hrs it is clear with a slight greyish tinge and reads 20 ppm
    DSCN3927.JPG DSCN3930.JPG
    But i dunno. Some people say a TDS meter won't read ionic silver but it reads something, deionised water reads 1-2 ppm and distilled water reads 0-1 ppm .
    The bottom of the beaker that had distillled water in it had a super thin mirror of silver on it afterwards.
    My sample 1 with its yellowish colour seems to fit with the descriptions you see on youTube though.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Yah maybe thats why. I used distilled. So maybe there is a better way to measure the conentration??

11. I just remembered i had a 1mW laser pointer in the laser-leveller in the shed so i tried it on the CS samples,
    On the left is 45 ppm and on the right is 20 ppm - seems about right , apparently the laser reflects off the silver particles so the redder it is the more particles .
    DSCN3949.JPG DSCN3950.JPG DSCN3951.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  12. i was researching some items unrelated to colodial silver just the other day and i came across this very useful information for those of you desiring to produce some feminized seed. this PhD here is doing it with hemp and has documented her process extensively. i see this as a 100% transferable protocol for cannabis.

here's some info on her and her work.

Favoring Female Flowers in Hemp Horticulture - UConn Today

here's her published work in HortTechnology. she really spells it out for how to do it consistently.

Foliar Sprays of Silver Thiosulfate Produce Male Flowers on Female Hemp Plants in: HortTechnology Volume 28 Issue 6 Year 2018

she uses silver thiosulfate which is readily available and cheap! here's just one example of where to get it.

BudResearch.com Silver Thiosulfate Feminization Concentrate (3.0g : 10L)

hope this helps :smoke:

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Awsome info. Good read. Looks a bit easier as you only need to apply 3 times.

Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  14. i rather liked this part from foliar sprays of sts...
    "Male flowers that developed on genetically female plants produced pollen. However, the pollen did not appear to be as copious or freely released as observed on true genetically male plants. Pollen from masculinized flowers from CBD hemp strain B was used to fertilize female flowers on CBD hemp strain C to document that this method could be used successfully to generate all female seed. The pollen produced seed, which were harvested, germinated, and exposed to short-day conditions, and their sex was confirmed to be female."

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Automated grows still need maintenance just take 5 minutes one day and brsuh the pollen on your girls.

16. Yah so as I stated with my work schedule that would be impossible. It's the reason why i started the thread.

17. What's really impossible is an autonomous grow.. Lol best of luck with any pest outbreak/ root rot from the dying leaves falling into your pots

18. No worries man. I tend to them 3 weeks at a time and they do pretty good. I just try to make it simple for the wife to do minimal work while I'm gone.