Colloidal silver: Male Pollen sacs but no pollen? what am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Cannabis Breeding' started by Icemud, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Hey everyone...

So I have been trying to preserve all of the genetics I have currently and so I have been attempting to use Colloidal silver to reverse my plants, and then back cross them as well as pollen chucking across all my other strains to get some hybrid crosses.
    ***by the way... I am not looking to become a commercial brand doing this so no worries there about stolen IP and such.... just trying to preserve some plants genetics Ive had the luck of keeping for years....

The problem is...

I keep getting male pollen sacks to develop (big clusters of them) but can not get ANY viable pollen out of 4 attempts now...

My very first run was a complete success using my black cherry soda female which resulted in hundreds of BX seeds as well as about 7 other hybrid crosses each with hundreds of seeds. Since then, using different strains but the same method, I can not get any pollen to form, only the male pollen sacs. What is going on?

Here are the genetics I have tried to reverse..
    Black Cherry Soda (success)
    Ogiesel (Fail)
    Grand Daddy Purple (2x fail)
    Trainwreck (no visible pollen however 2 plants in the tent did make seeds so leads me to think it may have slightly released pollen).

My process with CS (I've tried a few different methods but all similar) is to spray 50ppm Colloidal Silver every day for the first 15-20 days of flowering until I see the male pollen sacks form. Once I see this I stop the CS spraying and wait.... Once the pollen is visible (only happened 1 out of 5 attemps) then I let it pollenate all the other females which are 1-2 weeks behind in the flowering cycle...

So I don't know what is going on....

Some unverified ideas are:
    Is it possible that the plant genetics I have are already feminized genetics, therefore feminizing a feminized plant maybe is the cause?

I am topping the plants 2-3 times before using CS and inducing flowering... is topping the plants doing something to the hormones in the plant that is causing the male sacs to form but no pollen?

Am I doing the process wrong, or could I improve my results some how?

Should I use Silver Thiosulfate instead? I really don't want to use this stuff unless it just works that much better, as the ingredients aren't the nicest chemicals to work with, and being that I am in an apartment, and not a lab... I really don't want to be mixing these unless absolutely necessary.

What would you guys suggest....

2. I was thinking about the very same questions. I'm on my first CS experiment right now and didn't see anything that resembles pollen except for the tiny powdery stuff that's in the little thin line on the center of the bananas.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  3. Didn't I see this from you on another forum?:p

• Like Like x 1
  4. Probably, I'm a member on a few forums so sometimes when I have a question that I can't find an answer to or want a few opinions I will post the question in all the forums to get advice from all willing to offer it.

Still havent' found an answer yet though.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Keep spraying the colloidal silver almost to the end. I read somewhere that you keep spraying because if you do not the pollen doesn't form in the sac even though the sacs have formed. I read a fairly in depth article on the subject. If I find it I'll post it.
    Good luck.
    WayDaGro

• Like Like x 2
  6. There is so much conflicting info on this..plz find the article..Mine is 10 days into spraying and the pistils are now brown..no sacs yet, but my article said to STOP spraying when the sacs appear and to use a magnifying glass to make sure you don't go too long..(the growing tops are pretty funky looking..Picts tomorrow after lights on.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Thank You..
    funny, I just read that one myself..must have read everything about making fems, and I am as confused as ever..LOL

8. Anyone understand what it means when they say "clone only pheno'?

9. Hi I'm new from Oz I have been searching the net trying to find a remedy for this and stumbled upon this site.
    I'm having the same problem, the pollen sacs are opening, but no pollen.
    I have done this a few times without any problems, but this particular strain Bruce Banner#3 just won't make pollen, this is my second attempt.
    Things I picked up in my search were boron or copper deficiency, so I've sprayed with tiny amounts of both?

10. What conditions are you working with?
    I'm in Oz too ,down south, and am doing a colloidal silver spray on a female clone but i think the weather is too cold outside in the shed at the moment , there are bananas but no pollen yet after 38 days, and the plants are turning purple.I have read that p/k is not taken up very well in cold weather.
    I also have a sister clone under some 6000k fluro tubes and only its stalks have gone purple so may the colour temp of the light has an effect too. The ones that are going purple are under a 3000k qb288 x 2 in a tent just next to the one under 6000k.

11. I'm in northern NSW and it is cold now, but I also tried in February and same thing, in the meantime I did a Cookies Kush that worked. I'm using silver thiosulphate and the plant is under a 400W Phillips grow lamp.

12. I am almost at the point of chucking the 3 in the sex tent in the compost and waiting till spring , save the electrons and just keep the one .

13. I 2nd the advice to keep spraying until the pollen is literally falling out of the flowers. I have a thread started on this subject and will soon be detailing this exact problem there.

• Like Like x 1
  14. 45 days, sprayed every 4 or 5 days with silver thiosulphate, still no pollen.
    DSC_9331.jpg

Attached Files:

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Try getting rid of the older stale nannas by tickling them off with a soft paint brush , then get some of the nice yellow fresh ripe nannas off and put them in a tea-strainer and stirring them and see if there is any pollen .
    I have noticed that nannas from c.s. treated flowers are very reluctant to give up the pollen, have a look at my journal on 'using colloidal silver, how long?'
    Mar 9, 2019 ,Mar 10, 2019 ,Mar 11, 2019, etc,.
    P.S. I have terminated the seedmaking for the winter and will wait till spring and start again with fresh clones.

16. see at as you sprayed a MALE plant without first checking that it was female ....lol

spraying a male plant with CS makes him sterile

good luck ....lol

17. No it's not a male, I have other cuttings and they produce these
    brucebanner.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Yeah, I was going to say, so you took a male plant, and treated it with coloidal silver?

19. Those sacs have to change color as well to a redish and open slightly