College students, how much are you paying for rent?

Discussion in 'General' started by marathon1, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Transferring next year, getting an apartment with three other people. The issue is the three other people would like to go to one of the nicest places available.

It's fully furnished and utilities included for $545.00 a month PER PERSON. When I say this place is nice, I mean it. They also provide a shuttle service so I'll have no need for a vehicle.

So my question is, how ridicoulous is it to spend $6540 a year on housing alone? My parents say it's outrageous but it's been over twenty years since they went to college.

2. I don't know about apartments but for dorms, it's not unusual for room and board to cost up to $10,000 or even more.

3. 545 isnt bad...ive paid more without utilities...consider yourself lucky

4. I live with 3 other people. I pay $275 plus utilities and cable (~$40)

5. 4 Bedroom 2 bath, I live with 3 of my friends. 359$ per person per month, and an electric bill each month thats usually about 15$ a person.. Its not that great though. My room is pretty small, and the walls are extremely thin, I feel like I could run straight through the 8 walls and into my roomates room on the other side of the apartment.. The utilities are mediocre. Its kinda small overall, but its cheap. The surrounding area is alright, but the neighbors are all loud as fuck with their ghetto slang shit, I get woke up at 3 am almost every night due to someones shitty ass car squealing, or loud ass music and bass. But its cheap, Ill probably live here another year, but in a different complex not in the back. Theres like 20 buildings, and the front ones have a better surrounding.

I want a house so I can grill, and have a garden, a pet, or just my own yard. I want to be able to walk out in my yard and do whatever the fuck I want

6. I have a 1-bedroom apartment to myself and I pay $448 a month plus utilities, which is somewhere between $20 and $60 depending on the season.

If you're sharing an apartment with someone that's pretty outrageous, even with the perks. Unless of course you're living in a city with really high housing costs, in which case that's normal.

7. My room mates and I pay $1,100 per month for the second floor of a house. It comes out to ~$367 per person per month, plus utilities and internet/cable. It's pretty cheap compared to lots of other places in the area.

8. well shit, I really was hoping to spend around $350-400 a month. Right now it looks like I'll be spending $20,000 a year and I have two years left. I suppose I'll be in aroun d $40,000 of debt when this is all said and done.

9. Alabama isn't the best place to find affordable housing in a student friendly neighborhood.

Try looking for one/two room loft or studio type places, as they're usually cheap as hell. You'll probably have to do a bit more commuting, but it will be worth it.

10. that's the problem. I have no vehicle and am trying to get by without needing one. Unofortunately the cheapest place I have found that offers transportation is $450 without utilities and dryer/washer.

11. My university offers a free pass for all county public transportation services, so I guess I don't have to worry about that.

From my preliminary research, it seems that many public schools do the same. Look into that?

12. $300/person per month. Utilities included. 3 bedroom apartment

13. I'm in a one bedroom apartment, $630 + Electricity/Gas/Internet

14. 2 bedroom apt, middle of downtown in the historical district, $335 rent + $80ish utilities.

15. As I understand it, The University of Alabama has a bus system but it is on campus only.

16. yeah i'm spending $500 a month for the place i'm in now and it's exactly the same as what you're talking about. on campus housing is ridiculously overpriced and, for a place that is fully furnished with utilities paid, i'd say $500 a month is pretty reasonable/cheap.

17. $330 for rent per person, i live with 3 other people.

pretty expensive to live in lansing and go to school, but whatevs. this is the cheapest i've found around the area.

18. Im dropping $425 for a 4 bed 4 bath and thats with utiities, hey its cheaper than the dorm

19. I pay $275/m, but the average around here is $400, some include utilities some don't, kinda 50/50. Housing at Clark is $500-700 a month depending on where you live. Housing depends on your location, but from my perspective that's pretty pricey, but if it really is super nice, then maybe it's worth it.

20. i payed 7g a semester when i lived in the dorm......and it's probly as big as your closet will be in this place. that's without tuition.