College students, anyone ever have a problem with TurnItIn.Com?

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Royksopp, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Only had to turn one paper in to turnitin.  Never had a provlem.

Only time I've really ever been accused of plagiarism was the 8th grade when I was suppoed to write a review on the movie we watched.  I went to this website and the review seemed good so I copied it over and handed it in.  The teacher told me that I copied the back of the tape. He showed me the back of his movie and it basically said the same thing.  We both pretty much laughed about it and he told me to write a new one.  Pretty sure I ended up writing my own and handing it in.  All was well.

2. Yes, my freshman year of highschool I got like 75% plagirized for a biography, I didnt at all, I showed her my notecafds and she said it was cool

3. Luckily, I've never had to use that site. 

4. I know this is old, but if there's anyone out there like me that googled complaints about Turnitin, please PLEASE read this thread.

I didn't have the plagiarism issue...

I had it NOT SUBMIT MY WORK. And then my professor just took it at face value. Yet another girl actually posted her issue, the same issue, and he emailed her. He didn't email me. He had an entire week to ask if I had issue with the damn site, and nope.

I got a submission confirmation from the page. It said I successfully submitted my paper...

But it never emailed me a digital reciept. SO I spent a week thinking I had my paper in only to find out I got a grade of 0 points on it TODAY. A whole week from when I submitted it.

Turnitin is a massive joke, not just because of it's false positives, but because it does crap like eat your work. PLEASE anyone who's had to use this, you're not alone!

5. So clearly an old post, but I'm dealing with similar. I'm working on my senior thesis and just turned in my rough draft of first 15 pages (keep in mind it is heavily quoted due to historiography and case laws) and prof pulled me aside because TurnItIn was pulling a 78% score on my work. Ummm, what?! He asked if I had previously submitted this work for anything else at the university, which PARTS of it, I had but not as they were. I had changed them around and reworked them to be usable for this paper. The topic is my area of research and in essence they had to be reused, would have been odd not to. I'm not very familiar with how TurnItIn works, and in all fairness there were some areas of my paper that I did misquote (either put quotes and forgot to add the bib entry or vice versa but had put a note on my version to go back and add). I told my prof all of this and he said that it was a good time to bring this to light. I needed to go back and redo the first 15 (not sure what was meant by this exactly) and that reusing my old work was unacceptable. Which I didn't cut and paste my old work into my new work - AT ALL. I'm very frustrated and honestly confused. I spent a good amount of time reading about how TurnItIn works and it seems to be a bit controversial, esp. when one is doing research, regardless of correct citations or topic.

6. The funny thing is, my brother and a few of his friends created that site don’t turn it in, back in the fall of 2006, and ended up taking the turnitin.com creator (John Barrie) to court