College students, anyone ever have a problem with TurnItIn.Com?

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Royksopp, Feb 25, 2010.

1. yah fuck that shit i hate wen the teacher makes me do that type of shiiit... it sucks because u cant cheat

2. I get the point of turnitin but its not very functional. I wrote 10 original pages on a topic and got a 30% or something from turnitin. Sounds high, but it was basically just the facts that I obviously got from research.

Any professors that have used it before will know that.

P.S. since your essay was only 5 paragraphs on an infinitely documented topic I would be shocked it anyone got lower than a 30%

3. ....what? :confused: How do you know I'm a virgo?

See? I got a B+ but damn what complete bull that shit was.

Settle down lol.

Indeed.

4. Someone is hardcore :hello:

I like to be hardcore to teachers as well.... :cool:

5. My spanish teacher in high school said she would type the first five words of all our essays into google, and if it came back with at least one search result that matched she would fail us for plagiarizing.

Turns out everybody "plagiarized", so she ended up passing us all..

She was dumb...

6. That is fucking retarded lol.

7. I've never used this site in college, but I sure did in high school. I wanted to punch the website in the face. I failed a couple assignments due to not being able to submit it, or having a couple articles come up with similar sentences.
    Unless Im going to do my own groundbreaking research.. you're always going to find similar articles on similar things. Fuck.

8. This is one of many reasons why I love this site so much: Children pretending they're fucking badasses because they've deluded themselves into believing that being unimaginably immature "internet tough guys" gets them "respect" or "street cred" or whatever it is they like to pretend actually matters in the real world.

9. i fucking hate turnitin lol

the worst is when the whole class is set the same essay, at my uni there are probably around 200 people doing the exact same essay come deadline day, so the later you submit, the higher your "plaguirsm" score will be!

to explain further, everyone will pretty much be saying the same stuff, so as other essays get submitted, your essay will match up with more and more words and sentences

10. Never heard of anything like that at my college so havent had any problems with it

Wish you the best of luck and may your teacher decided that it wasnt plagarism but a legitamate essay

11. FUCK that site, every time i used it to turn in papers and have them graded i got like D's. i also got shafted by turning in a 28% original paper, but i guess that's my own dumbass fault.

12. A similar situation happened to me last week.
    About 3 weeks ago I turned on an essay about Antony Flew, R.M. Hare and Basil Mitchel's positions on theological falsification. The prompt was to present and explain all 3 positions, decide which one you think is strongest and argue for it while weakening the other positions. We had a 4 page limit with standard formatting.
    I ended up spending a good 5-10 hours on it, but the shortest I could do was 5 and a half pages. Now that I think about it, I wrote half of it under the influence of good marijuana, and that half was actually the best part. Thinking I did my best on it, I was happy with it and turned it in as it was. About a week later I get this email:

Darin,

We need to talk about your third essay. Will you be able to meet with me during my office hours Tuesday or before class Wednesday?

--Ken Brown

Now I'm a normal office hours visitor because this professor is big on participation, and I actually enjoy going in and talking about Philosophy, it's my major. I thought he might have a problem with the length and would ask me to rewrite it, which I'd be fine with seeing as how I technically did not answer the prompt. So the next day I go to his office, he closes the door (which he never does) and has my essay on his desk before I even get there. He starts asking me why I completely disregarded the page limit and I tell him "I felt I couldn't adequately address the prompt in 4 pages, I had a choice to risk leaving main points out or go over the restriction, so I kept writing." He pulls out copies of two other essays I had written, which I received low grades on because the first was...the first, I had no idea what he wanted in a philosophical essay. The other one was due the day after I was diagnosed with Inflammatory Bowel Disease, I was not exactly worried about the essay at the time. He asks me why my diction, tone, and writing style completely changed, and why my essay was so good compared to the ones I had previously turned in. I answered by pulling out my Sierra Vista Medical evaluation and wristband, telling him smugly that if he felt I cheated, the center for academic integrity is in the administration building and they generally take care of these issues, and I didn't cheat so I'd be more than happy if he submitted it and let them investigate the situation. His entire demeanor completely changed as soon as these word left my mouth, and he angrily pulled out the essay in question and starts quizzing me on the terms and ideas of the essay. At first I go with it and answer about 5 questions, and after realizing that I felt as if I were in an interrogative situation, I told him he was wasting my time and I wasn't going to answer any more questions. He responded by telling me that I had correctly answered the questions in the same language that was used in the essay, and apologized. I accepted his apology and walked out a bit pissed off, but I could understand the suspect element of my essay. I ended up getting an A on it, and after that situation, I noticed a relaxation of his grading system and I think he gained a new found respect for my unwillingness to cave in to his intimidating techniques. Everything works out pretty well when you're innocent of accusations, don't worry.

13. #54 Smallviille, Aug 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2013
    I know this is an old thread. I made this account so I could comment. A friend of mine wrote a paper on Stem Cell Research. Turnitin was used to submit the Peer Review then it was turned in as a rough draft. Turnitin flaged it as 96% plagairized and 4% original. The teacher gave her a 0 on the paper. She is now in the process of overturning the grade becasue that is thier process at that tech college.

I know for a fact she wrote this paper because she was at my house writing it. She spent a very long time on this paper. I read the paper she wrote.I really hate this Turnitin website.

14. The only way to have 42% is by using a shit tonne of quotes or by plagiarizing. Youre just unlucky if its neither. Just a tip, I always use an online plagiarism checker myself before I submit anything on that shit.

Her and I used 5 different online ones and not one of them showed any plagairism.

16. If you are short on word count you can always go to the bottom of your paper and type random words and then change the font color to white. Just a quick tip.

17. Take it to the head of the Dept. OP.  That's probably your best bet.

18. How'd that work out for you?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

19. Worked like a charm