Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

College paper on Marijuana Legalization

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Dannyp224433, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Hey guys so my teacher assigned this paper on legalization of marijuana and i just wanted to ask you guys what you think the best key points would be to bring up in this essay?

2. Thats awesome. Discuss how it was originally the #1 cash crop in front of tobacco and cotton and if legalized could generate billions in federal taxes.

3. Hemp production, in the value of the oils, building materials etc. (A ton of info is available).
    Reduction in the cost of incarceration, Fed. State and local levels.
    Medical uses.
    Ability to further research Medical applications/treatments.
    Reduction of Medical costs.
    Patient comfort and often times reduction of the severity of the illness, control, or outright cure. (Isreali scientists have shown certain cancer cures in a recent paper).
    Practically no harmful side effects, especially when compared to pharmaceticals.

Etc. :smoke:

4. Don't forget to bring up the fact that if legalized it will keep our children off of other harmful drugs and keep it out of the hands of the kids as well... It's easier for kids to get their hands on marijuana than it is alcohol because that guy at ABC liquor cares about his license and could lose everything for selling to a minor... but that shady guy down the street doesn't care how old your kid is, and hey if he can make a few extra bucks selling your child something else he will.

MJ isn't a 'gate way' drug, but it's illegal, so going out to find it you're more likely to come across other drugs, and making it legal keeps people from coming into a position in which you have access to that drug.

Also you can use hemp to make plastics and gas for cars, which would reduce our use of fossil fuels.

I read somewhere also (you would have to research this) that the seeds and consuming hemp seed oil can lower your blood pressure.

5. Describe how prohibition does not work (i.e. alcohol) and how the big companys (such as big pharmacutical) are lobbying to prevent marijuana from being legalized because they would lose millions, if not billions of dollars. Also highlight health benefits from consuming (don't use the term smokeing) marijuana and also make sure to recognize the opposing side in your paper. Just with those points I made you can probably write an 8-10 page paper easy.

6. Just bring in a joint for each student and professor, that way they can understand without having to read shit, and you don't have to write shit!

7. I did a report on this subject myself. One of the major points for me was the racism used against blacks and migrant mexicans to get it outlawed in the first place. Actual newspaper ads stating that "one toke makes a black make feel equal to the white man" or "one toke makes them start looking at white women" There were also articles about people murdering their entire families after smoking a MARIJUANA CIGARETTE. True Reefer madness.

Also the fact that marijuana was used as a medicine for thousands of years before the US decided to classify it as having NO medicinal value and forcing every other country to take this same approach.

The racist propaganda that was originally used to outlaw it and stating it has no medicinal value are obvious lies when examined by a modern, logical mind. Which makes you wonder why the general public hasnt woken up yet.

Also as others stated Big pharma, the cotton industry, and oil industry all played roles in convincing the Gov't to try and wipe the plant from the planet. Which they have failed terribly at.

8. Make sure to debunk false propoganda with facts and data.
    Definitely touch on the new study that shows it actually slightly helps lung function

9. Use examples from other countries that have legalized mj/all drugs
    Cost of enforcing drug laws would now be lower
    Possible tax money
    New job creation (growing, bud tending, dispensary owners, etc.)
    Lower prison costs (due to not as many mj-related crimes, helps with prison over crowding)

10. the fact that is an amazing source of income for organized crime

11. lmao tape a joint on the back of your essay for extra credit ! hahaha

12. [quote name='"Dissec"']Use examples from other countries that have legalized mj/all drugs
    Cost of enforcing drug laws would now be lower
    Possible tax money
    New job creation (growing, bud tending, dispensary owners, etc.)
    Lower prison costs (due to not as many mj-related crimes, helps with prison over crowding)[/quote]

Its not legal anywhere, other countries like Amsterdam have just told their officers that they have better things to do than worry about drugs and marijuana and they turn the other cheek when they see it. That's the best anyone can do with big scary America breathing down everyones neck about it.

13. Portugal

14. i believe Portugal has only decriminalized it, not fully legalized i could be wrong

15. Regardless of the status, there are alot of articles published especially by the Cato institute that show the difference it has made. Moreso for the purpose of legalizing all drugs, but it still helps a mj-legalization topic.

16. im in a alcohol and drugs class in college, and it really is hilarious how even the professor is so misinformed about marijuana. I can just tell this fool hasn't hit the jay in a long ass time.

17. [quote name='"Dissec"']

Regardless of the status, there are alot of articles published especially by the Cato institute that show the difference it has made. Moreso for the purpose of legalizing all drugs, but it still helps a mj-legalization topic.[/quote]

You cant say regardless... hes writing a paper and needs his facts straight, I know there are many studies and numbers that show that in those countries who choose to ignore it and focus on important issues their drug use across the board has went down, even in the youth. But he cant put down false information in a paper by saying its legal in some places. That might cost him a grade ;)

18. #19 Proud2Smoke, Feb 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2012
    If i were in your position i wouldnt only say why it should be legalised but say why it is illegal (some are the same points). Touch on its medical benefits and then how the pharmacuetical companies would lose billions. Its durability and copius uses as a fibre (hemp) with over 25000 uses and 5000 textile uses and hence why many would want to keep this Billion Dollar Crop out of business, so to speak, to make money off less/non-renewable resources that not everyone has access to. The jails would be empty (less crime rate since smoking a fucking plant wouldnt make you a 'criminal') and then spin it round saying private prison industry would be severaly impacted financially because of the massive drop in prosecutions

19. He asked for some pointers, bring up its numerous medical uses, its ability to generate millions in tax revenue(look up how much cali makes off taxing it yearly, im sure there is an upward yearly trend, put it in there somehow, if its downward ignore it but i doubt it). how much we spend in tax money trying to combat it such as how much we spend on imprisoning and treating those arrested for crimes relating to marijuana. how it would take money out of the hands of the drug cartels, how it would allow police to conduct their job more effectively, how it is nearly impossible to overdose on, how much more profitable it is for a farmer to grow marijuana, how you do not have to undergo the negative effects of smoking to use it(such as eating it), and how its fun as hell to use(jk on that one). Btw find good sources of information to support these things.