Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

College Majors

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by JoeDirtMcGirt, Mar 21, 2013.

1. I've been growing for a few years now and have become relatively good at it. Recently I've been thinking maybe this is something I can do for a living once I graduate from college as the US seems to be taking steps closer to legalization.

Unfortunately, my college doesn't offer a botany major and after researching the major it doesn't seem like many colleges offer it (111 colleges/universities offer). I love my school and don't want to transfer but if it comes down to it I may.

I guess what I'm really trying to get to is does anyone have any suggestions on college majors that may help me get a upperhand in this growing field of business (no pun intended :D). Or has anyone studied botany or any field of plant sciences and have any tips?

2. In my experience if you want to major in a field like that you should start looking in a more agricultural area.

3. Well If you want to sell and that be your actual job, then I would suggest something business related. I don't think any type of plant science degree would necessarily be of any help considering how many resources are available about growing marijuana.

What is your current major anyways?

4. #4 FrostyPurpleNug, Mar 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2013
    @SethyDuck: he's not asking if there's a "dealing 101", re-read the post

Biology/Ecology/Agriculture

Or just self-study and get really good at what you do and your talent can speak for itself when you do attempt to make a career out of it. My tip would be if you really do want to make a career of it, try to get in with a dispensery and do some growing for them.

5. medical botany

6. Yes and I was saying you don't "need" a botany degree or anything to be a good grower. Plus a degree in business is something to fall back on; whereas, a degree in botany? Have fun working at a plant nursery getting paid minimum wage.

7. Currently my major is business management. I know there are a ton of resources available. This forum, books, other resources, and good 'ole trial and error have really helped me progress. I am just looking for anything "official" that may help me get a leg up on competition.

Yes I am not trying to become a glorified drug dealer. I really just want to take the right steps towards making a career out of my hobby. The only problem with working with a dispensary is that it's not really an option in the two states I live in. One of which being New Jersey, medical has recently become legal but it's extremely strict and a caregiver is only allowed one patient at a time and only allowed to grow one plant at a time. I do however have some connections to dispensaries in cali and may be living with a friend in Stockton this summer, hopefully do some consignment work.

8. I forgot to mention my ultimate goal is to open my own dispensary and do as much of my own growing as possible. I have a kinda loose group of friends who I have set this goal with some who grow as well and others who are really master chefs with edibles concentrates and extracts, and of course the one with the big money who can really make this whole goal a true possibility.

9. If you don't really want to go the science route, you can look into medical anthropology. I have an anthropology degree and every medical anthro class I took, we had a lot of in depth discussions about medical marijuana and policy/issues/etc.

10. agricultural science

11. Ya but it is just one way to learn about the art of growing, and when growing becomes legalized you could probably get a growing license with more ease if you have a degree like that, as it seems from what OP said that he is looking more for legal career paths in the future then I don't see anything wrong with looking into that degree. As far as botany you'd have to look for a more agricultural school. I lived in Iowa for the beginning parts of my life and frequently visit family and I know a lot of colleges around them focus more on agricultural type classes so you might have to transfer bruh

12. Dude I suggest you get a business degree instead. It'll help more since you already know how go grow

One love

13. Pretty sure there's a place in California that's basically like a college for growers.

14. Thanks, I think I might have to transfer if this is what I ultimately end up deciding I want to do. Only problem is the university I am at now is going to be cheaper than any other I would attend. Are there any other plant science majors any one can think of to help me explore my options.

Like I said before I'm already majoring in business managment, I don't know if I was clear though, but anyway I want to add another major along with management.

I saw Humboldt College has a botany program (suprise suprise:smoking:) but I think it is a community college.

15. Nah I think it's called Oaksterdamn University. I think. But I would get some sort of business degree and learn how to grow from experience.