College, I can't even.....

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by 420pigeon, Mar 17, 2012.

1. So I've almost done my second semester at college and I can't help but feel that it's not for me. Both of my parents are college educated and came from unreal odds to get educated. They both grew up poor and put themselves through college debt free and moved way up in the class system so they don't really understand when upper-class kids don't want to go to college.

My sister went to Pitt because she was always the academic and did pretty well in high school. I don't go to a community college, its a four year school but its basically a school where most kids come from a 40 mile radius.

Being home for a week on Spring Break made me realize that I fucking hate college. I do well in school but I hate it with a passion, I hate the stress, I hate the profs constantly berating you, I hate the people. I just came to realize that college is not for me. Maybe I'm just not mature enough for college, I started school a year early so the kids I graduated with are technically a year ahead of me. I know age doesn't equal maturity but I can't dude. I'd much rather sit in my dorm watching the Boondocks than go to class or study or interact with shitty Penn State rejects.

I dunno, I can't tell my parents I want to drop out because they already spent a years worth of tuition and room & board. My parents would never forgive me. But 3 more years of this shit? I don't know. I've never been more miserable in my life. What am I doing? Setting myself up for a life of woulda, coulda, shoulda's?

The only thing I have gotten excited for at school is this Monday's Psych class. We're studying psychoactive drugs and I plan to go high as fuck.

Idk, this is just a rant that I felt the need to post.

Has anyone ever felt like this and done something about it or figured out a way to get through? I could use alternatives because in my mind, there are none.

2. biggest rule in life do what makes you happy not your parentsn

3. Maybe you're just not ready, I thought the same thing in HS. But if you really feel like you can't go on, you can't continue like that to please your parents. Your move bro

4. Same for me man, im almost done my first year in University. It's not hard or anything it's just dumb as shit. It's not leading me anywhere so i'm dropping out to try and find something better to do. At my uni though you can pick up your degree where you left off and you have 10 years to do it if you don't find anything better. I told my parents dreading their reactions but they said they support me and want me to do what makes me happy. Don't stress bro.

5. take a break from college and go back when yu ready. in the meantime find something you passion about and pursue it.

6. well most high paying jobs require a graduate degree, so you need to finish your undergrad with good marks lol. Find something that you're passionate about.

7. Let me get this straight, you don't want or need to go to college, because you're parents already did and got good jobs and make money to take care of you. Grow up dude.

8. Dude, you think the stress of college is bad, try living paycheck to paycheck at a dead end minimum wage job. Because that's all you're going to get with just a HS diploma, unless you're extremely lucky.

Everyone hates the stress of college (except for maybe those in journalism school, but those kids are weird lol). Everyone would rather not have to go. But part of being an adult is doing things you'd rather not be doing. There is no such thing as "not mature enough" to go to college. So you're not in the right mindset, so what? Adapt.

9. [quote name='"nascarfan"']Dude, you think the stress of college is bad, try living paycheck to paycheck at a dead end minimum wage job. Because that's all you're going to get with just a HS diploma, unless you're extremely lucky.

Everyone hates the stress of college (except for maybe those in journalism school, but those kids are weird lol). Everyone would rather not have to go. But part of being an adult is doing things you'd rather not be doing. There is no such thing as "not mature enough" to go to college. So you're not in the right mindset, so what? Adapt.[/quote]

truth

10. Talk to your parents. They're probably a lot more understanding than you give them credit for. They want you to be happy, and aren't going to force you to keep going if you don't want to go. Paying for one year of tuition is better than paying for 2-3 and then having you drop out or your grades suffer because you don't want to be there. They might know of other options or routes you could take that you had never thought of before.

11. thats not what op was saying at all please

why so negative geez :smoke:

12. #12 giraffe, Mar 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2012
    Just go to school. A bachelor's is becoming more and more equivalent to a high school diploma. Job economy is shit. Youre not going to have another chance to "get educated." Sure, its stupid, but sometimes you just gotta go through the motions.
    Take a vocational test and see where your strengths are, or just try to find a fun major.

You gotta make money to live, so how do you want to make it? Unless you have a set plan to make it on your own after you drop out, your parents wont care what you have to say.
    Maybe you can go to police academy, a special trades school, military, or you can get a minimum wage job and lay low for a little (a year, tops). My parents worked their asses off like yours, as long as they are feeding you, they are gonna make you go to school.

Lots of my friends are in debt cus their parents dont support them at all. But they still make good grades and work a lot. You are very, very fortunate; think of the billions of people all over the world who would literally kill to be in your place.

13. You might as well tell your parents now so they don't spend another 3 years worth of tuition and boarding for you.

I always suggest that students take a year off before they start college. That way they can get some life experience, working minimum wage jobs to save up and pay for your schooling yourself (as much as possible at least). After working the only jobs your capable of getting without further education will make you realize how much more nicer it would be to make more money to make ends meet.

14. I stopped reading after being home a week for spring break. Yes, cause real life when you're not in college is exactly like spring break. Seems like you don't want any responsibility.

15. [quote name='"grasscitybadass"']Let me get this straight, you don't want or need to go to college, because you're parents already did and got good jobs and make money to take care of you. Grow up dude.[/quote]

No, he was saying his parents don't understand why he wouldnt want to go to college, since they overcame odds just to go themselves. Calm down man

16. Idk how u couldn't like college man.. there's so many girls at this community college my friend goes to and sometimes I go with him and sit in class and listen to the teacher and after an hour and 30 of that u get like a whole hour break (depending on ur classes) afterwards we walk around and talk to people and just enjoy ourselves.. I know I don't have the school work to do but still college is just chill all around.

Do u hate the work or something? Shit I hated highschool school work but now that I'm out I wished I would have worked harder and graduated 2 years earlier like I was supposed to. School is hard man.. but life is life and sometimes u gotta do shit u don't want too yeah know? I have no idea what I wanna do in college so I plan on taking some classes that just peak my interest like philosophy or psychology or criminology.. there's all kinds of classes u can take so try taking something u enjoy.. more variety so ur not bored out of ur mind and u don't feel forced to take classes u don't want to that u need for ur major.

Sounds like u don't like any of the other kids there.. I loved just walking around and meeting new people. U need to get friends at college in ur class so the college life is a little more enjoyable.. people are all the same when u look at them in the masses.. try to actually get to know some college people.. look for the really cute girls that sit in the Library all the time doing work.. those are the girls that have goals in life and they can keep a convo.

17. Sounds like you go to a shitty school man. I say apply elsewhere and transfer schools for next year.

18. I went for 2 semesters, knew going into it that i really didnt want to be there but society dictates you go to college, like when i was a senior in high school nobody asked me if i was going to college, but where am i going to college. so i wasted 10 grand on that year of school, got a job as a steel worker, couldnt be happier. Theres nothing wrong with not having a college degree, most people dont even use theirs. Your happiness is number 1, and if your not happy only you can change that. Find your own thing, and do it, dont worry about what others think about you. Took me a long time to learn that...

19. Very close but not quite.