College Education For Free

Discussion in 'The Bookshelf' started by shermdawg767, May 23, 2014.

1. #41 kinanna, Aug 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2015
    actually college learning is better learning than at home. because although you can read well and obtain at home by reading books, if you go to college for education you can gain it practically as i know but sometimes it is not possible learning well when you are engaged a lot with your friends. however it is a great way that college education for free as you want to gain knowledge

2. How some 3rd world countries have free education and the US doesn't is beyond me.

3. #44 gameshowtheme, Apr 8, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
    I couldn't agree more, I've always wondered this.

About this thread in general, I'm leaning towards college being much more resourceful to aspiring students. Professors often include anecdotes that rarely failed to catch my interest when I was there.

My issue was my ADHD, and my depression. I skipped classes and isolated, and never handed work in before I just dropped out to focus on my mental health. I think within the next five years or so, I would love to try again. I learn alot from google searches, but the insight I've gotten from friends after they've been going to college sometimes is just damn smart thinking. I think many people in college don't always realize how much they actually are learning. I couldn't tell you how many times I didn't grasp a concept whatsoever, never thought about it again, then months or even years later walk into a situation where I put the concept to use flawlessly and it all came together.

edit: tl;dr learning at home tells you information, college shows you how to apply it to your life effectively

4. My advice is to pass on college unless you are 100% positive the degree you choose will land you a job. If you don't, then you might as well dig a grave for yourself.

One of the things I regret most in my life was getting a worthless 4 year degree from a university. I graduated and couldn't get a job and still can't get a job. I learned nothing of use and was handed a slip of paper that said, "you've just been basically Nigerian scammed, welcome to the real world, enjoy your suicide".

5. This little gem of a post got lost in whatever the rest of this thread is trying to address. College isn't about going through anything, you learning or making a career for yourself or even teachers working.. College is a business and its first function is to generate revenue, everything else is secondary to it fulfilling that function.

6. I agree with you for most of this. I did the college thing for multiple years, decided it wasn't for me. I wasn't learning what I wanted. Institutionalized education was just infuriating me (as a history major concentrating on african history, most college courses on this subject are absolute white-washed shit). The money I was putting in no way equatrd to the knowledge I was getting out. I dropped out and decided to take it upon myself to acquire knowledge. I've learned more about my subjects of interest the past 2 years out of school than I ever have in my years of high school or college. I would also say though, if you can, you should try college. Know it is something you are sure you do not want to do before rushing to a judgement you might end up regretting.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Grasscity Forum mobile app