Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

College degrees and medical marijuana

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Gowlet, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Hello everyone! This is my first post here but I've been looking for an answer to this question for some time now, and it seems as though this forum may be one of the better resources for hopefully answering it. I've always wanted to work in the burgeoning marijuana industry in the Unites States, but not simply as some grower or picker. I've always wanted to be one of those lab coats you might see in movies such as Half Baked etc. but don't know how I would go about doing such a thing? Would a focus on horticulture and botany be the best route to go? Or would something along the lines of organic chemistry help me to increase my chances of working with marijuana in a lab? There is so much still to discover and mess with whether it be cannabinoids, cannabinoid receptors in mammals, or what have you that I would love to be working with marijuana in a very scientific approach. Please if you have any ideas, or hopefully first hand experiences with such a thing I would love to hear about it. Oh and I look forward to exploring this community forum a whole lot more!

2. Hey, welcome to GC. Just a heads up, even though you want to specifically work with marijuana, if you get the necessary degrees then you will also have to be studying all different kinds of plants and cell structure, etc. You would have to study microbiology and all that stuff. So make sure you are able to put up with everything else. If our economy is horrible and there aren't any jobs specifically studying marijuana, then you would have to find a job using your degrees, which might not be as fun or interesting.

I hope someone can help you with the rest of your question.

Good luck!

3. Look into behavioral psychology (or neuroscience) there are a bunch of researchers in the field who study marijuana's, and other drug's. effects on the brains. I took a behavioral neuro class my sophomore year in college and it was tough as hell but extremely interesting.

Hope this helps

4. It is degrees through which we identified the drugs that what to take in which disease it give a knowledge about medical

5. Psychology is a big factor in it, yes, that is what I am hopefully going into.

Also Sociology may be a part to do as well..?

6. Chemistry is what you want, then.

7. Thanks alot everyone, these responses were really helpful :)