College=Bullshit, The Government Dumbs Us Down...so said the crazy man at my office!

Discussion in 'General' started by Young Dro, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Good job=random drug testing=no more smoke for you.

2. I don't have time for these classes and these books, memorizing the weak assumptions of lesser mortals..

Classes will dull your mind, destroy the potential for authentic creativity.

3. What is..."A Beautiful Mind"

4. Exactly TeSupo. I feel like it is destroying a lot of the creativity i naturally have. And to antwanp, i hear that, im basically doing the same thing (still in school, plans to work for myself, and its helping a lot), its just im struggling to balance the creative side and the rational side, and college isnt helping, but like ive said twice, im waiting it out for now. And to chronic toker, its a movie with russell crowe about a real life, schizophrenic mathematician named John Nash

5. Most people, yes. I'm currently enrolled as a physics major and i dont plan on stopping til i get a phd. For me it's a drive for understanding, respect, change, and personal fulfilment. i blame society for those money-oriented job and major choices so many young people make....

6. Ya I think a lot of people go through the process without ever really questioning it, and i think a big part of achieving goals is questioning why you want to attain them...I dont think nearly enough people do that...but i really think thats the key...if youre not doing something you can be committed to in the long run, then it doesnt seem worth doing...just another rant, lol.

7. I understand the arguement against colleges, and college definitely isn't the right place for some people, but for me, it is definitely the right choice.

Sometimes I do feel like it's a waste of money (nearly 40k a year for out of state tuition, room and board, textbooks, prostitutes), but its the only way to become a doctor in this country. As much of a waste as it may seem to spend 40k a year for what I suppose I could learn from textbooks, but I am willing to pay just about any price to do exactly what I want to do in life.

I think anyone who is financially able, should at least try college out, whether it be and ivy or a community college. The way I see it, the only things you stand to lose by choosing college, is some money, and a couple years of your time, but there's so much you stand to gain. If you decide college isn't for you, drop out and you're exactly where you were, just a little poorer and a litte older.

8. You tweakin you crazy injun

With alot of degrees, you can be your own boss. Like, I was gonna start listing some, but then I was all

this is obvious as shit

So I typed that instead.

Also, if you get an entry level ("bad job") position at like, Blockbuster, you still get tested.
    I;m rather confused.

9. :rolleyes: yeah everyone is their own boss with degrees, and do I even need to explain to difference between getting fired from a 6 figure job or blockbuster?

Blockbuster isn't a long term job either.

10. See where I bolded?

Any job can be long term dude, maybe you dont want to bus tables for your whole life or be a stock boy or video clerk, but thats what some people do brother

11. True dat, but not as likely, lol. I liked your first post where u go i was gonna list em out but i typed this instead! LOL. Classic.

12. You're not going to be your own boss, you don't need a degree to be your own boss either. Some how this nation likes to teach its children if you go to college everything is going to be ok for the rest of your life....this isn't true.

13. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Most jobs i've looked at that require a degree dont test. Why? Because they dont have to weed through all the fuck ups and the potentially good employee's, believe it or not the education system has done this already to some extent. If they do test you, its once. If you cant pass one pre-employment drug test theres something wrong with you. My old manager at Fed-Ex used to smoke weed and you need a 4 year to get into management. However the drivers get random screenings every week for drugs/alcohol and all you need for that job is an alright driving record and a hs diploma... i'm not even sure about the last part.

The way I see it is you can sit here and fight getting your education as much as you want, in the real world, it DOES matter. Those who have will 9/10 times make more and live a more comfortable life than those who dont. Thats just the fact. Theres the random person every now and then who has a degree but is homeless or the guy with a degree who works at burger king. Dont let that person try and brainwash you into thinking your education isn't important, he fucked up somewere and shouldn't be taken seriously as soon as the word "degree" comes out of his mouth. Does a degree mean success? No, but what it means is you can open a whole lot more fuckin doors now. The only thing that would keep you from getting a good job with a degree is lack of ambition and drive.

14. Oh god... see what happens on the intarnetz? You type two sentences, but to everyone who reads it, you've apparently demonstrated your ignorance.

i.e.:

Me: I like cheese.

Interweb person: How can you possibly support our current adminstration's foreign policy? You're unbelievable.

I like how you already told me I'm not going to be my own boss. Perfect. That clears alot up.

I mean, given your extensive knowledge about my background, finacial situation, current goals and drive, how could you NOT be spot on with your prediction? Don't be so pretentious.

I also rather enjoyed your argument that having a good job would be so terrible because you might not smoke or smoke as much.

This is making me more stupider than I was prior to engaging in this wee exchange.

If you want to really learn something, go to college. If you're better teaching yourself and have alot of drive, don't. I don't think you're stupid for doing the latter, nor do I think you're stupid for going to school. Not that it matters anyways.

15. Schools are bullshit,I never graduated and I'm doing good no looking back either.I admit though if I woulda stayed I would have gone into astro physics,probally not since I was moving with the crowd.Would'nt have reached my realization if I choose to stay.

It's so proposporuos how you all can say you can teach yourselves,since 80% of all learning is achieved thru books its nearly impossible to do it yourself.I take that back though,unless you have the drive you will need a mentor.

ex.You can't learn Kung Fu yourself,you must have a master.