Collecting The Goods

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Dontcostnothin, Feb 26, 2013.

1. I am at the end of a sucessful 1st multi-pot grow in Hydro (Stuff gew amazingly well) and am just finishing up the clean water cycle.

The next step is to harvest, trim and dry. But beyond that I have some questions concerning processing.

I have never been much of a smoker 'cept to get time out of the office whine in the service so It does't apeal to me and I've discoved concentrates; specifically the BHO products. Now I believe I have the how to's on that down with all the online guides and opinions.

What I do not know, and everytime I ask someone in person in a dispensery, Hydro store or like minded places I get such a wide variety of answers I've decided that after curing / drying I will set aside the best Bud's and the rest I'd like to make into the concentrate. Here is my million dollar question ... do I need to, in any way collect the
    Tricome's as if I were collecting Kief? Or is the answer as simple as the question ... leave it alone and take it strait from the drying rack and into processing?

As for collection for concentrates I've decided to go for the Grain Alcohol extraction vs a Butane method in hopes of a Tincture by-product. I've read everything between 110 and 85 micron screen/filtering can be used and the finer the mesh the more difficult it will be for plant material to pass and more work for me, but the end prduct will be cleaner. So, I discovered this in a side venture I'm doing and wondered if a 75 micron screen would be to fine to effectivly collect Trichomes?

Below is a link to the 75 micron screen, Any constructive comments would be a big help ... 22 year Vet who never learned to be a stoner or cultivator

EZ-Strainer 75 micron
    HTML:
    http://www.amazon.com/Gallon-EZ-Strainer-micron-Biodiesel-Filtering/dp/B003EDZO0G/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

2. Tricomes are attached to the buds/kief, or should be, if handled gently and correctly, once harvested, trim your buds, and hang them to dry, with the trimmings, lay on a sheet of paper and allow to dry, and use the trimmings and low quality buds to make your hash.

The use of the Butane and or Alcohol technique is very old school, and not recommended, for various reasons including ''health'' more so if you are a dispensary user.

".......Here is my million dollar question ... do I need to, in any way collect the Tricome's as if I were collecting Kief?
    No, as the tricome's are attached to the kief, forget fancy words like tricomes, kief, baby it's all bud!!...now get down, get those bags and get very wet making fun hash

Amazon.com: iPower GLBBAG5X5 5-Gallon 5-Bag Herbal Ice Bubble Hash-Bag Essense Extractor Kit: Patio, Lawn & Garden

or:
    Filter Bags

Good Luck
    "V"

3. Thanks V ~ Sounds like I'm headed down the right trail appreciate the time and knowledged shared :hello: