Cold Weather

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by jorge-curioso, Jan 5, 2010.

1. What type of medium; soil
    What brand and type of soil? A mix of the peat moss originally grown in with tomato growing soil
    Indoors or outdoors? Indoors and outdoors (read below)
    What strain? Bagseed
    How old are the plants? 9-10 weeks
    What type of lights and how many watts? 2 100 watt floros
    How far from the lights? 6-8 inches
    What is your watering frequency and source of water? As needed (finger check) and tap water
    What, how much and when was it fed? NPK? Miracle Gro Slow Release Flowering sticks. something like 10-20-10
    What are the temps and humidity in the room? Super iffy
    What size pots? 5 Gallon
    Any bugs? Look real close. Nope
    Any other pertinent info? Below

Ok so I started this grow to do some experimenting with cold weather growing (i.e. what kind of temperatures could a plant take) and it went all fine and dandy until flowering. My grow is in an attic that has direct access to the outside, I began the 1st week of November. The humidity is ok in the room (I'm not trying to make super dank, just proof of concept). The temperature fluctuates daily. Basically the outside temp is the inner temp except maybe 10 degrees warmer. I basically built a box around it and covered the outside of the box with insulation foam. The plant grew wonderfully in veg but now that I have it on 12/12 it refuses to flower. I am pretty sure it is just the cold weather and I am about to get a heater up there. Take a look at the pictures and let me know what you think. I am pretty sure the spots are because some water got left on the leaves and evaporated too quickly back in early veg when I had one of the floros as a halogen bulb. The purple on the top stem I believe is because of the cold. the two baby leaves on the bottom are yellow and I think it is due to cold as well.

Attached Files:

2. please tell me what is cold?

its about 20F-32F outside my door right now.

that's -6C - 0C for the rest of the world.

3. 35-45 F daytime, 20-30 F nighttime. Basically balls ass cold.

4. wow and she's still growing? Thats pretty bad ass.

5. Yeah I know. Its crazy. I guess what I have discovered though, is that you can veg in cold weather but no flower. I'll have a heater there tomorrow. Hope she makes it till then. Has anyone heard of keeping a plant in veg for a long ass time? Like perhaps until spring when it warms up?

6. sure, you can veg for years (mothers). You will need to keep topping the plant and maybe some LST if you veg that long. She'll just keep growing and growing.

7. As far as cold temp i ve learned the they will live but growth is slowed to a crawl. The best way to add heat is with more lights. Hope that helps!:smoking:

8. Alright so I have a crappy heater up there and I switched my floros back to halogens (for extra heat). Also the on time is now during 12 hours when it is coldest (about 11pm to 11am). I did that two days ago, now these have started to develop. I think I may have flowers haha. But to be fair I'm posting pictures for verification. If they are, its a damn miracle! Also to be fair, these are the two at the top of the plant. There are a few others at various nodes lower, but not nearly as developed.

Attached Files:

9. I'm currently battling 25 - 30 F nights and 50 - 60 F daytime temps at 8 weeks into flowering. My lights are on during the day so I don't think that's an issue but the night temps are definitely hurting bud growth. Overall the plants are staying healthy but since this cold snap set in, bud growth has slowed to a crawl. I just added a small ceramic heater yesterday so we'll see what that does. I'm hoping the plants are "hibernating" and the buds will pick back up where they left off once I get the temps in line. It doesn't seem like the trichs have been maturing or changing color since it got cold.

10. I don't know what lights you are using, but if they produce heat, have them on during the coldest part of the night, typically 10 or 11pm until it heats up in the day. This should help provide heat during the cold parts.

11. Unfortunatly I'm 3/4's of the way through flowering so I can't change my light schedule. Live and learn :)

12. Your plants won't grow very much with Halogen lights, they have almost no usable light spectrum. And I would think that the coldest time (depending on location throughout the world) would be somewhere between 0100-0300 (That's AM).

13. I agree. 1-3am falls within the range of 11pm-11am. In that case I think I'll probably switch my two lights back to floros and get another fixture for one halogen (cause they do produce a fair amount of heat). But can anyone give me their opinion on whether those are looking like flowers yet? I am pretty sure from my experience, but want a second opinion.

14. I would think of adding a 400 to 600watt hps. The 600 is best but the 400 would work. A metal hailde bulb and hps produce a lot of heat either would help! I use a 1000 metal hailde during veg. and a 1000 watt hps during Flower. Both will heat a 12x25ft room and it is 11 degrees here at 2pm. The 600 is the best bang for the buck in ur case, u can do 8 2ft plants quite easy! hope u can make some sense of that! lol i am doped!!!:smoking:

15. I'm growin in a attic at the moment and the temps outside aint gettin above 0c day or night. i have lights on 9pm to 9am using a 600w hps and the temp varies from 24c to 28c. but when lights are off i use a really unsuitable heater so when the lights are off temps go from 13c min to 30c max.
    I'm lookin for a heater which will keep the temps at a steady temp, if anyone knows of one let me know.
    the plants are 6 weeks on 12 12 there lookin stressed but they are fattening up nicely.
    good luck wid your grow :smoking:

16. I have the same temps here! Sucks! I use a heater called edenpure it is in a inclosed box puts off no light and is very fire safe. It will heat the large and small room, bulit in thermostat. cons on the highest setting it will cost u a 1$ to 2$ a day to run depending on ur power company! Crooks!

17. cheers tmoney gonna try get one now :smoking:

18. What he said...

19. Yeah i have a delonghi ceramic heater. Between that and one extra halogen bulb, she seems to be doing a ok. I want to switch to HPS next grow, but not yet. Floros are so cheap.

20. Not really... When you think about what you put into enough floro's along with sockets, plugs, and what not. It's almost the same price, and certainly less hassle.