Cold weather on the way...HELP!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by vestin, Oct 4, 2012.

1. I'm a newbie grower with eight beautiful girls in the garden, they are at about 7 and 1/2 weeks. My problem is that the weather here (southern Michigan) over the next few nights is going to dip down into the mid 30's. Now I know that a little bit of cold isn't a huge problem, but multiple nights in the 30's and days in the 50's scare me somewhat. My main question is: should I harvest before the cold, or keep my fingers crossed? My tri's are very milky with very few amber. My biggest worry is harvesting too early, I read alot about people who regret harvesting too early and I don't want to fall into that crowd. It would be a great help if I actually knew the strain, but unfortunately that remains a mystery to me. I have been able to determine that they are hybrids, they look and smell so awesome... I just don't want to mess things up here in the eleventh hour.I was planning to harvest in the next week and a half but this cold weather has me worried, does anyone have any sagely advice for me?

2. watch the weather - mid 30's with a morning sun isnt disaster -its actually causing your plant to secrete more and more resin to protect itself - good for you and i - it takes about the first 32-28 deg night will put a slight wilt on the plant leaves - the next frost like that will damage the buds , check out the predicted frost dates in your area - watch the temps and at this time of year - yank em if you get a good rain and the temps are going to dip -

im in bc and our frost date is oct 17th - which is reasonable -if nothing else we will wake up the morning after halloween to a heavy killer frost - so far clear skies and 33 - 35 deg at night - there is light frost in the lowlands because of lack of moisture - a little higher up its damp enough to thwart of any minor frost but damp enught that the mold is an issue unless you have a mighty mold resistant plant liek a citral - not saying anyone i know has one -just that they are very good at fighting off mold -only teh few weaker plants will show sighns - i just take them a little earlyer trim up up and you some okay popcorn for a taste .

3. Ive got a couple plants outdoors in MI too, I really wouldn't worry about it unless it gets to be like 34 for hours at a time. You say the plants are 7 1/2 weeks so im assuming they're pretty good sized and pretty tough by now, so this weather shouldn't hurt em. If you're starting to see amber a week and a half is a good goal I'd say. Happy smoking :smoke:

4. #4 EyesSeeingAll, Oct 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2012
    Pull man, or risk it..
    "Quality, over Quantity."

5. All good advice from above, vestin. I'm in the same boat as you - cold weather moved in. I'm trying to convince myself right now to make the decission to pull 'em up tomorrow.

6. Fuckin eh..zero last night and -1 tonight. I wasnt able to check my crop today due to a nasty cold but i cant wait to get there tomorrow to see how my strains are doing. will be posting pics.

7. Thanks for the advice all! I'll put it to good use!

8. I'm in the same boat here vestin. I'm in nw ohio and they are calling for lows of 37,31,38 Sat, Sun, Mon. Oh and it is raining right now, booo. just came in from checking them and they are all milky with an amber here and there, less than 5% probably. Trying to convince myself to leave them to tuff it out but also considering a Sun morning yank.

9. It hit first frost of the year here in the 509 last night...

31 degrees, its 9.30 am and temps have bounced back up to the mid 40's yikes...

According to my power bill september average temp were 7 degrees cooler this year! So much for the hope of an indian summer and global warming! haha

10. -3 here last night and mine took it like a champ! The strain is

ForumRunner_20121005_121405.png

emerald wonder from vancouver seed bank

11. When the chromes are mostly milky, that's not a bad time to pull them if you prefer a headier high. I just pulled my outdoor sour diesel and the chromes were mostly milky. I expect some great smoke from this plant. Don't forget too that extra long curing will assist in making potent buds. IMO, a slightly earlier harvest can be countered by longer curing times. Nasty weather sucks and I'd rather wait for curing than leaving them out there to get battered by rains and cold winds.