cold growroom

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by spindr27, Nov 12, 2013.

1. My little growroom is in a rather frigid unheated corner of my garage. Room temp under my 1000W HPS has been hovering in the upper 50s. At what point, as temperatiures continue to drop outside, will the grow be completely compromised? I'm in a moderate climate..North Carolina. Any ideas on cheap/safe way to bump up the temperature in the room? Thanks,

2. yup you need to get a heater on a thermostat. Go to walmart and get a heater that is oil filled. Then put it on a thermostat. Just get one you put in your house and convert it to work with your heater. Not hard to figure it out. 50s is to cold now.

3. Or if you dont feel safe with that go buy one for 90 bicks from your hydro store

4. That's to cold. I hope you are not air cooling your light, if you are stop...that will warm it up some. You could add more lights to keep it warm and or insulate the walls, floor, and ceiling.
    Also put your ballast in the same room as it gives off heat.

5. Thanks for all the ideas. The ballast in the grow room makes lots of sense. oil filled heaters make me nervous. I'll look for some safer solution. I will say though... I'm finishing up a couple of plants that have another ten days at most and so far, colder temps haven't adversely affected yield...not yet.

6. probably not a great idea to put your ballast in there. You can definitely do it and be ok, but ive always made it my rule of thumb to have electrical connections outside of the grow area in case of electrical fire. otherwise you should be able to get a cheap space heater and like neon said, hook it up to a thermostat.

7. I've run them oil filled heaters for years now. I know someone that had a out building filled with plants use the oil heater to heat that up in the middle of the winter. Its no less safer then your lights. You still have that risk. And I think some come with a safty kill switch. Just hook itninto the wall in a different plug. I use extra heavy duty cords to run mine.