Cold Fusion Reactor Independently Verified

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by 1Trismegistus1, May 25, 2013.

1. #2 Lysogen, May 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2013
    If they can go from nickel to copper, does this mean alchemy may possibly exist?
    platinum lattice bombarded with protons

also says he lowered the activation energy with "unknown additives"
    Could he have harnessed the power of enzymes to catalyze the reaction?

2. #3 Carl Weathers, May 25, 2013
    Last edited: May 25, 2013
    The statement made in the article made me scratch my head a little. Perhaps my brain is a little muddy from this cold I'm suffering, but I swear this doesn't gel with the science I was taught back in highschool... and is possibly the worst description of atomic fusion I've ever encountered.

Basically, hydrogen ions (single protons) are sucked into a nickel lattice (pictured right); the nickel's electrons are forced into the hydrogen to produce neutrons; the nickel nuclei absorb these neutrons; the neutrons are stripped of their electrons to become protons; and thus the nickel goes up in atomic number from 28 to 29, becoming copper.

So they're inferring that protons (H+) are "suckered into a nickel lattice". Yet pictured is hydrogen gas (H2, not protons) embedding into a nickel lattice to make nickel hydride. This is very nice, but offers no explanation for how nickel's elections are "forced into the hydrogen" which supposedly "makes neutrons"? Forgive me if I've forgotten the basics, but doesn't 1 proton + 1 electon make hydron.. ? I then completely lose the author when they go on to suggest that these neutrons (that came out of nowhere) are reabsorbed by the nickel, which takes back its electrons, forming protons and transmuting itself to copper..?

Becoming slightly dubious of this article, I sought a little more info on the supposed development of cold fusion, and came across a slightly more rational take on the 'discovery'. Turns out this whole thing is nothing at all to be excited about.
    The E-Cat is back, and people are still falling for it!

No protein would withstand temperatures in excess of 800 degrees Celcius. I would expect the catalyst is inorganic (theoretically speaking, as I don't believe for a second that Rossi has cracked cold fusion).

3. No protein would withstand temperatures in excess of 800 degrees Celcius. I would expect the catalyst is inorganic (theoretically speaking, as I don't believe for a second that Rossi has cracked cold fusion).

</blockquote>Damn. Now im sad

Sent from device_name using Grasscity Forum App

4. Presuming this is correct though, any thoughts on the alchemy question?

And I'd say its obviously above our head, its above everybody's head. Plus, the artist's depiction is always wrong.
    Half the slides in my microbio course last semester had errors in them b/c of the artist.

5. #6 Toxy, May 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2013
    Well, in the form of hermitism, no. In relation to science, we've been able to change element structures with labs for a while now.

Interesting by the way, OP :)

6. #7 Carl Weathers, May 26, 2013
    Last edited: May 26, 2013

Presuming it is correct would be steering towards fantasy, as no compelling evidence has been put forth to suggest it is anything beyond a scam at this stage. So your question stands alone - can alchemy exist? If you're referring to the conversion of one element to another, then yes - it occurs in nuclear reactions (typically very hot ones!) and nuclear decay. There are plenty of people more into physics here than I who would tell you about it, and I'm really surprised that not one of them has spoken up in this thread.

I wouldn't say that it's obviously above our head at all. The inventor is unwilling to disclose any convincing evidence or information about the technology, and we're left with a smoke screen which is poorly described and misinterpreted by eager science bloggers. Although I can't comment about the quality of your microbiology lecture material, incorrect diagrams in science certainly should not be expected nor accepted. Such half-arsed articles like those only breathe life into pseudoscientific hoaxes, the type that are lapped up by people who resort to a "this is over my head, it must be correct" style of thinking.

7. There's nuclear transmutation , so this would be under artificial transmutation , but I don't think it's alchemy , just chemistry , since alchemy is along the lines of putting two different metals together , drawing a circle around is and expect something to happen.

8. #9 Lysogen, May 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2013
    I asked if Pt can be turned to gold (theoretically) if this guy can change Ni to Cu (THEORETICALLY)

And only like 1 picture was slightly wrong, I was merely suggesting it can happen. Especially with an explaination as vague as the one in this article

9. Lol I saw this last week. http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1305/1305.3913.pdf
    If only I knew engineering so I could tell if it's legit or not. There's some quack stuff on arxiv because it's not peer reviewed, but for the most part it's a good website for original physics and math papers.

10. I think they mean that rather than the proton and electron pairing with the latter orbiting the former, instead the proton has sort of eaten the electron, negating (literally) the positive charge and making it a neutron. Sort of what happens to a star's core when it collapses into a neutron star.
    Weak nuclear force dictates that a neutron can decay (beta decay), spitting out an electron and an electron-antineutrino, leaving just a proton.

That's an absolutely ignorant claim to make, you have an extremely lacking understanding of alchemy if that is what you believe. Alchemy is chemistry, and this would constitute alchemy.

12. it lead to the birth of chemistry , but it's practices are vastly different and unscientific, using magic and and religion  to find the philosopher stone. alchemy is the experimentation of elements without the scientific method. If you're going to label chemists as alchemist  and say they're doing alchemy , just because the experiment with chemicals I'm going to have to disagree , since chemist relied on the scientific method while alchemist relied on mythology.

Your words only purvey too me your extreme ignorance upon the subject of alchemy. Alchemy isn't the pursuit "to find the philosophers stone". Alchemy is the practice of transmuting the base into the refined, meaning it is basically the art of isolating a single compound, although the compound I refer too is a philosophical description of a type of energy.

One must be able to perceive abstractly to truly comprehend the nature of alchemy. Alchemy is as scientific as letting go of an apple and seeing it fall to earth, the experiment is reproducible and the effects are always the same. Alchemy has very little to do with religion and more to do with truth, it is in essence, the spiritual science, for it explains the nature of the interactions of matter through a metaphysical perspective, while remaining scientific.

Obviously, a lot of knowledge has been lost, and thus man went astray in his search for the truth, but the very nature of alchemy is truth, it is the practice of refining a gross and base substance until the subtle and refined essence is isolated, and that is all.

Also, absolutely discounting the records of ancient cultures and referring to them as "mythology" is to blindfold yourself simply because you could not remove truth from said texts, it does not mean that truth is not contained therein.

Finally, the Ancients were far more knowledgeable than what the general assumption is today, but they thought in a different way, they thought through metaphor, and delved deeper into truth than their modern equivalent have yet to accomplish thus far, for though we understand the universe in a way, we do not Understand the universe.

Alchemy is not chemistry.  Alchemy is one of the various paths of spiritual evolution, as the same processes that evolve the soul to a more perfect state are also what evolves a plant/mineral/metal to it's more perfect state.  Likewise something like gold can be transmuted into, say, copper, which is the opposite process.  One's ability to perform alchemy effectively is in direct connection to one's own level of spiritual evolution.  The highest alchemical operations are done with as little as a tube and a jar, the more one understands alchemy, the less equipment is needed.  I've seen alchemy performed with my own eyes so I don't need nuclear fission to verify it, it is quite an amazing thing to witness honestly, to see mercury turned into a solid metal (the philosophers stone), to go from poisonous to life extending.

But this is a discussion better left to the spirituality section.

15. #16 jayfoxpox, Jun 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2013
    You've seen mercury solidify? was it by any chance -40C? Maybe it's not pure mercury or mercury at all?  Do you know what pressure?
    as this graph shows , you'd need an insane amount of pressure to solidify it.[​IMG]
     http://www.nist.gov/data/PDFfiles/jpcrd55.pdf
    it's probably a amalgram. an alloy. Are you perhaps calling it a philosopher stone , because they got gold from it? because it's not alchemy , but just an extraction of gold from an alloy, not an transmutation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amalgam_(chemistry)

Or are you suggesting that some meditation and mantras are going to suddenly make the surroundings disobey the laws of physics? If you can actually prove it , it would be an amazing breakthrough.

16. Room temperature, regular old mercury, no chemistry set that would be necessary to do something like that via chemical reactions.  That's what the philosophers stone is, it's mercury put through an alchemical process that turns it into a consistency a bit softer than pure gold that can then be eaten in small amounts to prolong life and perfect health indefinitely.  There was no gold made in the process.  There is likewise a plant and mineral philosophers stone, but solidified mercury is the metallic philosophers stone. Not that you will believe that.  There are laws that go beyond the physical laws, and it's with these laws that such things are accomplished.  I've seen the "laws of physics" broken on quite a few occasions, that's what "miracles" are, but there's nothing miraculous about miracles, they follow an exact science just like anything else.

Like I said though, this is something for the spirituality section, since it falls outside of the physical sciences.

17. Care to share the recipe for mercury immortality?

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app