Cold floors in winter

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Stewart169, Nov 8, 2016.

1. For those who live in cold climates in the winter do you worry about a plant sitting on the floor when its cold?
    Be it on a concrete floor or a house with a crawl space in the winter sometimes the floor gets cold. Even in a tent? If so what do you do?

• Like Like x 1
  2. I don't know. I live in California. Sorry for wasting your time.

3. Contact with a concrete floor , slab or outbuilding can cause thermal transfer . In my gardening shed attached to the back of my house, I raise my tents off the floor on blocks with foam border insulation on top creating an air space underneath. When it gets really cold sometimes I have to put a small fan to direct warm air into the airspace. When it drops to well below freezing I've been known to exhaust my tent into the airspace while bringing in fresh air from elsewhere.

• Like Like x 1
  4. 1478581939618397779746.jpg I raise it off the floor, I live in Scotland its 2c outside right now, 5.11am, I put a male plant out into the back garden a week ago an it's still surviving here's a couple off pics, raise it off the concrete anyways DSC_0010.JPG DSC_0008.JPG DSC_0006.JPG DSC_0005.JPG

5. Keep your plants off of the floor and especially cold concrete. Cold temps will wreak havoc - stagnating and even stopping growth.

A layer or two of foam insulation will help and if that's not enough heat mats will help.

J

6. In my situation my pots are in a tent in a carpeted closet in the house. House is on a crawl space. Those of us who live in winter weather areas know even a warm house can have cold floors. I just had the thought to use my temperature gun to check the temp of the floor and pot near the bottom. Its not a potential issue yet but I am trying to figure out how cold or warm is too warm for the floor and the temp of the water saucer under the plants.

I have one seed heater mat and I suppose I could get another and put them under the pots and put them on a relatively low temp in the 70's. Its absolutely easy to see that having the pots on a concrete floor in a basement or out building during ongoing outdoor temps in the 30s or less could suck the heat out of pots.

Was wondering if anyone else had considered this in a situation similar to mine.