Cold Air Dump (CAD)

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by n3r0, Nov 25, 2008.

1. I've been researching a technique called Cold Air Dump. It entails a somewhat steep temperature drop right before the lights come back on. Evidently plants respond rather well to it. Can anyone comment on this practice and it's application to cultivating our plant?

2. Bump. I information is sparse and hard to come by on this practice.

3. Intriguing.. Where did you hear about that?

:bongin: ~Experimentalist

4. In the outdoor world usually th coldest part of the night is right before dawn!

5. How would you generate this quick cold air dump? My room naturally is the coldest it gets before I turn my light on and I imagine that's everyone else to unless they use an AC of some sort

6. Well a friend of mine told me about it and handed me this book about growing orchids. I'm sorry i don't have the title off hand. Anyway that's y it's been implemented into indoor growing, is the tendency for the fog in the natural world to steeply drop the temperature right before dawn. So, living in the very cold northwest i've been opening my window an hour before the lights turn on... it's as simple as that. There are so many variables that i cannot tell y my plants are jumping out of the ground as quick as they are. I'm growing hydro in a flood/drain system in a pretty well ventillated tent on my 4th week and they grow like square inches a day. While i cannot attribute the cold air to it, it certainly isn't hurting them. :cool:

7. It is true that the nigh time temperature is the coldest right before dawn.
    It would be possible to have the intake come on an hour or so before the lights, in order to drop the temp.

Or use a separate intake fan on a timer. If your cold air is piped in through some kind of ducting, you could add a "T" or "WYE" fitting to have one fan dedicated to your normal intake and the other strictly for this practice. This would be a lot easier and cheaper than considering AC. Just my humble opinion.

8. Hi I wanted to ask again if anyone has experience with the DIF technique or the cold air dump described in the march seed guide issue of 2006 hightimes and did your buds go from wispy spindly loose to big dence nugs hah did they