colchicine

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Mister Postman, Feb 21, 2006.

1. I was browsing the internet looking up growing guides etc. when I came across a medication my brother & mother are prescribed for a very rare disease. Anyway the drug is colchicine. Now the guide gave mention basically saying if you can get your hands on it to try and use it as some type of fertilizer..

Anyone know what this does, or what it used for? Anyone know dosages or if it's just about cruching up the pills and adding them to the water??

Any info would great

2. Its highly dangerous and very hard to get rid of. I think just a small smear will kill you and if not given right to plants will kill them.

3. Dude, don't steal your mother and brother's medication. I am sure that youcan find a cheaper fertilizer than that.

:)

4. maybe were talkin about 2 differnt things... but im pretty sure the stuff ur talkin about is poison.

5. i believe colchicine is used to mutate cannabis into a polyploidal plant. I know there's info out there about it. Try Google.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. its used in gout medication, it is found in nature in the bulbs of autom/winter crocus bulbs and yes it is a poison.
    it is used on seeds to get higher concentrations of thc and to create pollyploid plants.
    apologies for bringing upan old post, but ive recently germinated a MED GOM 1.0 FEMINIZED SEED. its a triploid, 3 cotildyons, three single blade first true leaves and now it has three branches just forming and looks to be continueing to do so, i love a runt or unusualplant, i grow them out for fun if nothing else. i figure if it germinated then it has the rite to grow out its life.
    i was wanting to ask if triploid is a natural mutation or wether it has been in contact with colchicine by the breeder. you can be sure that if theres a chabnce that it ups the thc content, then a breeder will have experimented with it

Attached Files:

7. @CBD4ME No, that is not a triploid. Triploid has to do with the number of genes a plant has. What you have is a plant with whorled phylotaxy.

Your plant will continue with the 3 leaves at every node until it hits "puberty" and the leaves begin to alternate and are no longer in 3s. Keep the plant in veg as long as possible to take advantage of this trait. Those extra branches mean extra buds. But by the time harvest comes along, the only way you'll be able to tell that it has wholed phylotaxy is by looking at the bottom of the plant and that she is a tad bushier than her normal sisters.

WP plants are a fairly common mutation but rarely, you'll find one with FOUR leaves or MORE per node! :eek2: (stole the pic from Yahoo images) The trait is may be inheritable from what I read in another forum, long ago.

[​IMG]

I've had several 3-leafed WP plants over the years, but never a 4-leafed one. There is a rumor going round that they tend to be males, but I've had both sexes with WP and the majority of mine were female.

Granny :wave:

• Like Like x 1
  8. And just a note to anyone thinking of using colchicine - DON'T!

First off, you likely won't get the results you want. It is a myth that polyploids have double the THC of normal plants. Some types of polyploids actually have LOWER levels of THC than normal plants! :eek2: And I think we are nearing the physical limits of the % of THC a plant can produce - you gotta have a certain amount of "not THC" stuff to have the cells function, and there is a limit of how many trichs can fit on a leaf.

FYI- diploids are normal plants having the normal 2 sets of chromosomes; polyploid just means having cells with more than the normal number of chromosomes in them; tetraploids have a double set of chromosomes; and mixoploids are weird, having cells with differing numbers of chromosomes.

"The results showed that polyploidization could increase the contents of tetrahydrocannabinol in mixoploid plants only, but tetraploid plants had lower amounts of this substance in comparison with diploids."

(quote is from an old study that I'm not going to give the link to because a few of you might try it anyway! :coolalt:)

Colchicine kills many of the seeds as they germinate because it is poison. And of the surviving seedlings, about half were were "normal" in spite of the treatment, about 40% were tetraploid, and only about 10% were the more potent mixoploid. So the odds of getting a mixoploid are rather small.

Also, as others noted, colchicine is a deadly poison and is not anything home-growers should be using on their plants!

Granny

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Hi, many thanx for clearing that up for me. this is ment to be a feminized auto, so i dont get any controle over how it grows and flowers, apart from giving it enough root space and the best soil i can for her. growing enviroment too.
    i have had a pollyploid before i believe but could be wrong now you have explained this, it grew one giant stem made up of smaller and larger branches if you can call them that, it grew into one giant flower head. it stopped growing at 12" and just bloomed, iyt was the oddest thing ive ever seen.
    i got the seeds from a bunch of guys in collage who were experimenting with sensi seeds northan lights and whatever they were doing, the seeds were from the 9th generation. and this was the only one showing signs of it. does that sound like a pollyploid?
    also, should i breed with this plant, what are the chances of it passing on the WP to the seeds produced? i know theres a lot of variables in the mix here and the chances are slim to none as i understand when it comes to breeding. growing out hundreds of seeds isnt practicle for me sadly

10. sorry ,i forgotton to add that, its highly dangerous. i put it up there with PGR's with the not to do list