Coir runoff pH/ppm issues

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by vapeos, May 17, 2011.

1. #1 vapeos, May 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2011
    I'm new to growing, so started off with a couple of bag seeds to get the hang of it. My first bag plants are looking good, and my "real" seeds are due to arrive in a couple days...so I'm trying to get the details down to not kill those. :) My runoff pH is almost 7.0, and I'm not sure if that's a problem or not.

I'm using a 75/25 coco/perlite mixture with dolomite lime. I moved my biggest plant up to full strength nutrients about 4 days ago. Was on half-strength for two weeks before that. These are test plants I intend to cull, so I don't mind messing with them.

Now, my plant looks healthy from what I can tell from various guides. For this morning's feeding, nutrients were at 2.34mS/1190ppm and 5.8pH. Runoff was 1.67mS/840ppm and 6.8pH.

So...do I need to worry about the runoff? Some people seem to recommend adjusting the pH until the runoff is down to 5.8. That seems like a bad idea since I've been feeding at 5.8 with no real change in pH, so I'd be feeding at well under 5.0 which seems likely to anger my plant.

Other people recommend just pHing going in and not worrying about the runoff, since the medium does alter it. But I'm concerned my pH is high enough that I should lower it somewhat, perhaps to 5.5 or so going in.

I've also seen some people mention that it's a good thing that my runoff is coming out at a lower ppm than it's going in at, since that means my nutrients are being used up. That also makes me think my plant is currently happy with how it's being fed.

My intuition is to do nothing other than continue to monitor the pH/EC, unless visible problems develop or the pH rises. Does anyone think I need to adjust the pH going in or take any other action, or should I just ignore the runoff as long as things look fine?

Note: My tap water is rather hard at 350ppm, so I added the lime partially to buffer the excess minerals and such, not just for pH (theoretically.)