Coin in the grinder?

Discussion in 'Other Smoking Accessories' started by jaytrees, May 15, 2013.

1. I've seen a couple of my friends put coins in their grinders and they claim it helps the keif move to the bottom chamber and therefore in the end the result is more keif. My question is is this true?!
    If you've done this please post your experiences im thinking about giving it a try! Thanks

2. Yes it will work, even more efficiently if you give it a shake. However it makes the weed that you've grinded a lot less potent.

3. Never heard of that, but yeah any kief you catch is coming off your bud in the first place. You can't just magic up more kief, would be great tho

4. #4 smokedietcoke, May 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2013
    it's a canadian thing eh?
    lucky looney
    but yes I've heard that it helps move the keif down as well

5. I guess you could say there are pros and cons to using coins like this, but I'm more curious about proving this claim to be actually true or not, using blind or even double-blind testing methods.

I'd love to see if people could actually tell after smoking a bowl if the bud has been hand-shredded, clipped with scissors, ground in a 2-piece, 3-piece, or 4-piece grinder, with coins or without to validate claims about weaker potency.

(obviously your claim makes scientific sense, but I want to know who can actually tell, because I think very few can, thus making the claim not necessarily inaccurate, but completely irrelevant)

6. #6 Jimmy Carter, May 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2013
    A lot less potent? Definitely not. Any amount thats lost is negligeable.

7. I don't understand what you mean...where does the coin go? In the keif catcher or the bud holder???Either way, sounds stinky

8. I used to do it all the time.  It def gets more kief in the bottom. 

But hey, its either gonna be on the bud or in the chamber at the bottom so it doesn't really make much of a difference

9. In the chamber with the ground up bud.  The coin is so abrasive and heavy that it rubs weed against the screen and you get more kief in the bottom

10. "alot less potent" i was reffering to shaking the gringer, this way yes, alot more crystals will be lost from the bud.
    And as for "evidence", the evidence is told in the kief at the bottom right? Common sence that if theres more kief in the bottom of your grinder, theres less on your ground up bud. There is many youtube videos of people demonstarting the penny in a gringer method. Some even use it as a kief extraction on a budget :smoke:

11. Some grinder screens are very delicate and might get busted by a coin, so be adviced :p You can use anything really.

12. yeah, it definitely knocks off kief more than just grinding

but obviously anything you get in the tray is just stuff that you should have smoked earlier, so either you're not getting as high or smoking more weed with the coin trick.

it's a tradeoff, the extra kief doesn't just appear out of thin air.

13. Don't buy a shitty grinder then lol

Y'all are hella funny. You'll never notice the difference. And I wouldnt say the coin is there so you can smash the shit out of your grinder everytime you bust up weed, its just to keep the screen from getting clogged, maybe shake it up every couple weeks or so.

14. I used to just bust my weed, then hit the bottom of it on a counter or something

15. I tap my grinders screen with a pair of tweezers (with the not pinchy part) and that knocks most, if not all the kief through.

16. #16 Deleted member 409203, May 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2023

17. I think I'm going to just put a dime in my, seems like the smallest coin would work the best and cause the least damage, and yes you lose potency in the bud, but seeing a full keif tray would make it worth it

18. I have a peso in myn lol

:bongin:

19. its not magic...it just helps the kief fall through the screen.... it 100% works... try it...
    technically a "less potent" smoke, sure... but honestly if you are breaking up your ganj by hand, your gonna have the same thing as your oily fingers will attract the oily kief!

20. I don't think you can notice the difference. I do it. Just keeps the keif in line.