Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Coin in grinder question

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by ToJ, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Hey GC, just a little question.

I was just informed that putting a coin ontop of the screen in a grinder will help the keif fall through. I've read around and it seems a lot of people do it. Anyways, my question is, is it normal for the coin to get stuck to the magnet? Because that's all that happens to me... I'm using a penney, maybe I should use a type of coin that isn't attracted to magnets?

2. #2 BYOweed, Apr 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2013
    Edit. I'm wrong

3. #3 9D3, Apr 28, 2013
    It works really well imo. And yeah I had the same problem - what I did, was stick a nickel to the magnet. Then put in another coin (quarter works well), and it shouldn't stick. Then give it a little shake every time you grind your shit up and you'll find the kief builds up quickly :)

It's not to block the screen in your grinder - it's to knock things around to help the kief fall through and keep the screen from getting "clogged" over time. Grind your weed, shake it up, and repeat. You'll build kief much faster than if you didn't do that.

4. Or you could just skip the coin, push your bud through the screen, and hit the top of the screen when there's no more bud to push through. I don't see any obvious advantage by using a coin.

5. I don't know about you, but personally, I want to smoke my bud. Not squeeze all the good stuff out of it. The coin method just keeps the screen clear and helps the keif fall down easily. I'm not going out of my way to make keif, it's just a nice side effect to grinding bud. :)

6. Squeeze all good stuff out? That's kief.. You can smoke kief..

7. Yes. But wouldn't you want good potent bud? Then have a nice pile of keif on top of that?

8. I believe that it works good, almost to good that it forces extra plant material in with the kief making it less potent as letting it naturally build up on its own

9. Kief is trichomes. Not weed shredded through the screen.

10. ^this

11. #11 BYOweed, Apr 28, 2013
    I'm wrong.

12. LMFAO

pressing your bud through a screen wont really make kief, there will be tons of plant matter in it. The coin works fuckin great. I came up with it a while ago and have always had a dime in my grinder since.

13. #13 BYOweed, Apr 28, 2013
    Wrong word for it then. I feel dumb, but still don't see how a coin would help.

Realized I got trim screening mixed up.

14. Hey don't worry about it man. I wasn't trying to argue, just wanted to get my point across. :p

15. That one point remains though, how does a coin help any more than tapping on your screen after dumpin your bud? I'll have to give it a try

16. When you bang your grinder around, the coin slides around the screen, knocking off trichs. My sister used to mash her weed through the screen when she wanted some 'kief'. Doing it that way just gets hella green in it, and it makes it not even worth it. Kief should be made with minimal pressure/force as to get the best quality you can. mashing it through a screen is no gonna do that.

17. What the fuck kind of retard would smash their weed through a screen

18. No need to be so harsh, buddy made a mistake. No need to make someone feel like shit.

19. You can lightly push trim against a screen to obtain trichs. Got all mixed up, and made myself look like a dumbass. I admit this. :p

Thanks but I deserved it lol, act like a dumbass, get treated as one. Nothing new around here

20. Its kinda like the metal ball in spray paint cans.