Coffee Talk

Discussion in 'The Great Indoors' started by brody15, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Hawaiian Pure Kona Coffee is off the chain too.

[​IMG]

Its too expensive for me to justify buying on the regular- the Torrefazione Settebello (Italian Roast) Espresso though, is not that expensive, and serves up a truly a euphoric coffee buzz. When I bought my machine in April of 2010 I went through probably 10 other brands before I settled on that specific bean. Everyday it delivers a great taste, effect, and doesn't leave you jittery or nervous, as can be associated with other strong espresso.

If the Gub ever regulates coffee like MJ, I'll start my own Militia :cool:

2. Been drinking van houtte lately

Also looking to pick up some espresso yum

3. not really a coffee fan but i fucking love the smell of it brewing or the beans grinding! Its not like i dont like it i just prefer tea a lot better. I start every morning with a cup of hot tea with or without honey and usually drink a few cans of iced tea throughout the day (peace tea's caddy shack ftw!)

but when i do drink coffee i prefer it with a little cream and usually on ice since i live in florida and its fucking hot as balls out 90% of the time

4. I like the Dunkin Donuts regular whole bean as my day to day coffee. However I do get some of the Starbucks dark roast occasionally....it's all good...

5. hi i'm addicted to coffee. I love everything about it, but hate when I get a headache from not having any. I usually get it from a local shop that roasts their own beans and that shit is primo, but I really like Green Mountain and New England for the store brands. Dunkin Donuts is definitely good too when I don't wanna be fancy. Oh yeah and black is the only way to drink it, it's just so much better that way.

6. black coffee + fat bowl = best shit ever

Now THAT is the best part of waking up.

7. I never thought about the coffee buzz being different depending on the beans. It seems obvious though. I'll have to try some Settebello to see what you're talking about!

8. I was wondering this as well. Is it just because espresso beans are normally roasted a lot darker, so they have less caffeine or what?

9. Dunkin Donuts French Vanilla roast with International Delight's Almond Joy Creamer and just enough sugar to cover the bottom of the cup. That's my morning sex in a cup.

10. I was always under the impression that a cup of espresso actually had less caffeine that a cup of coffee. That the beans were less caffeinated. Too lazy to fact check this now, and it sounds wrong! I dunno.

What mrthoughtcrime was saying is that he gets a smoother buzz from a certain bean. I still get a coffee buzz every day, some more intense than others. And some leave me headachey, but most of the time it's pretty pleasant.

11. Coffee is pleasant 95% of the time. But I was always curious to see if different beans can produce different effects. There are lots and lots of other chemicals in coffee, so maybe varying amounts of those can have an impact.

12. I'm gonna ask the internets about this. Get some info.

13. Beans grown in different parts of the world will produce differing effects, its like having multiple strains of pot each differing in the kind of high you get. Now the hard part is that the same cup of coffee can affect two people in complete opposite ways it all depends on your body. This makes studying the effects of coffee difficult.

14. The best coffee I ever had is Balinese coffee. It's very hard to find here in the US because most of it gets exported to Japan. The traditional way of drinking it is to grind the beans extremely fine, add it to the bottom of the cup and pour water on top (filters are for pussies) with some spoonfuls of raw sugar.

I'm a fan of single origin coffee. That is the best way to fully experience the subtle and not-so-subtle differences between coffees grown in different areas of the world. My favorite coffees all come from Indonesia. Hawaiian and Jamacian coffees are similar. After that I really like Central American coffees. My least favorite beans are of African origin, although a lot of people really like African coffee. To me, it has too much acidity - almost sour- and I prefer it rich and dark.

Then there's the added complexity of the roaster. Starbucks can turn the most beautiful single origin coffee into burnt, bitter, shit.

As snobby as I can get about coffee, I'll also be the first to admit that I love my daily cup of Dunkin Donuts coffee.

15. Beans grown at different altitudes will have different flavors, aromas, and effects. Charbucks is just awful in my opinion, but I'm a barrista at an unnamed coffee shop in the midwest . :) we goto the barrista competitions in chicago every year. Its a lot of fun.

16. how does one get themsoelvs into coffee? any recommendations for a beginner?

17. To be honest my ex girlfriend got me into coffee. I was so afraid of the flavor at first, so I started taking little sips at a time, always black too. Eventually I got used to the flavor and could drink whole cups. After a little longer I started to love the taste. If you don't like the flavor yet don't worry, you will. Just do what I did and take little sips at first, but make sure you drink it black, you'll get used to it faster.

If you already like coffee then, go out and buy a small 6 cup maker for like $25. Start sampling different coffees to see what you like. Dunkin Donuts is a good staring point.

It really is an acquired taste. With a name like that you should be teaching me about this.

18. What are your options? Do you have a coffee maker at home or do you gotta go out a buy?

A great and inexpensive way to get your coffee on is to go out and get one of these: Moka pot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I picke one up at cost plus for prolly 15 bucks. Easy to use, cheap, makes a good cup in my opinion. Get some espresso, good suggestions on this thread already, make em. Drink and enjoy. Add some milk and sugar, maybe try one straight up black.

I would go this route before I'd say go to starbucks. This way you can experience the enjoyment of the process of making it, plus it's easy and cheap.

I went this way and kinda graduated up to an French Press, or drip coffee. Espressos are good, maybe like pipe hits where a hot cup of coffee is like smoking a joint.

Hope that helps mang.

19. Can't beat a coffee and a doob

20. Anybody ever use one of these to brew coffee? Seems like it would be fun. I wonder how it tates. As in if it's gritty like french press of smoother like drip.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHdBgjc7tkQ&feature=related]Making coffee with Hario apparatus - YouTube[/ame]