Coffee Can Cause Hallucinations

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by MelT, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Drinking cup after cup of coffee dramatically increases the risk of hallucinating, research shows.

Healthy young men and women who had more than seven cups of instant coffee a day were three times more likely to hear or see things that were not there than those who limited their intake to less than a cup.

It is thought that caffeine boosts levels of cortisol, a stress hormone. Confirming the link could lead to new treatments for those who suffer severe hallucinations, including schizophrenics, some victims of child abuse and the recently bereaved.
    The Durham University researchers asked 219 students to document their caffeine intake, working on the principle that a cup of instant coffee contains 45mg of caffeine. Coffee brewed at home contains more than twice as much, while that from cafes such as Starbucks can have almost 190mg of caffeine.

The volunteers were also asked how often they suffered hallucinations. The high caffeine users were three times as likely to have had problems as those who rarely drank coffee. Large amounts of caffeine also made people more likely to think they could sense the presence of ghosts, the journal Personality and Individual Differences reports.
    The British Coffee Association said that a moderate intake of four to five cups a day has been shown to be safe for the general population and may confer health benefits. The Food Standard Agency recommends that pregnant women limit themselves to 200mg of caffeine a day..."

MelT

2. Stopped drinking all caffeine for the most part (not that I ever had very much). Haven't had a real soda for months.

Another fascinating post. It's amazing that some substances are illegal. Just blows me away.

3. caffeine is one of the worst drugs for the human body, ranked up there with PURE cocaine and heroin.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Source? I agree a lot of caffeine is unhealthy. But you think it is as bad as heroin? lol I know plenty of successful caffeine drinkers, can't really say the same about heroin.

5. Success and good life are two totally different ideas. One matters to you and the other matters to others.

6. Also gives you kidney stones D:

7. I'll look...most of the negative effects caused by heroin use are due to the things its cut with.

8. #9 Reflection Eternal, Jan 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2009
    More and more I see the names of topics and realize I'm not the only one that stays updated through RSS feeds. :p

Source

Note that the BBC site stresses that a causal link has not been established.

9. I've never used RSS myself TBH. I like to trawl around, looking for news 'by hand' on a variety of different subjects and see what comes up. Sometimes you find things you'd never have found otherwise:)

MelT

10. 7 CUPS? i dare say you'll be hallucinating.. i'm pretty sure the effects are less extreme if you sensibly keep it back to 1 or 2..

although sometimes, i do inject coffee directly into my bloodstream for a sense of euphoria like no other.. shhh ;)

11. ROFL... if this were true, I'd be in a permanent state of hallucination. I have a caffeine addiction that would make Keith Richards proud.

Caffeine is SERIOUSLY addicting. I quit a 10 year cigarette addiction with no problem, but I can. not. give. up. coffee.

Just say no, kids!

12. This explains that weird dream I keep having, where the Juan Valdez drug cartel is at war with Mrs. Olsen and the Blue Mountain Jamaicans.

[​IMG]

Juan Valdez has a nice ass in this one...

Here's what the coffee achievers can do while they are tripping...check out the size of this pot!

World's Largest Coffee Pot

[​IMG]
    Stanton, Iowa, is the home of Virginia Christine, who played "Mrs. Olsen" in Folger's Coffee television commercials. To commemorate this and some other vague heritage issues, they've modified and painted their water tower to create the World's Largest Coffee Pot, 36 feet tall, 40,000 gallons in size.
    Stanton, Iowa

How can you not want this power working for you?:cool:

13. #14 Luke the Spook, Aug 2, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
    I think it is only instant coffee gives you hallucinations. However, it is only the kind of hallucinations that you see when you close your eyes. It is kind of like mescaline, in that if you lay down to take a nap, and close your eyes, you can control the very mild hallucinations by taking objects and manipulating them in three dimensional space making object rotate and pan. However, you have to drink about 5 or 6 cups of extremely strong instant coffee to get that effect. Some people get chest pains when they drink that much instant coffee. Then you massage your Vagus (Vagus nerve - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) and your thoracic diaphram muscles (Thoracic diaphragm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) to help ease the pain. I use the Folgers Instant Coffee Crystals, and about once a week I drink enough to get the mild hallucinations when I lay down for a nap and close my eyes. It is a cheap thrill, and better than nothing if you got nothing else.

14. Looks like I need some coffee and some shrooms. Hmm, now where do I find coffee?:p

15. Lol idk its a very rare substance. Too bad theres not a coffe-source on basically every corner, god damn coffe addicts!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  16. Fuck. I've always had an intuitive feeling caffeine was bad for you, hence why I don't drink coffee often, I mean caffeine is a drug after all. I only drink coffee or energy drinks if I've been smoking all day long since morning and I'm exhausted.

17. Caffeine induced psychosis, for me it seems possible if you drink lots and lots of coffee.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum