Coffee as a growing medium

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Country Angel 69, Mar 17, 2014.

1. I was wondering if anyone has any experience using coffee grounds as a medium for germinating. My friend dropped a baby off to me and it was in a tiny cup of coffee grounds. It did ok in my setup then started to die so I tried to transplant it into organic soil and it is almost totally dead. I can't seem to find anything on the net about coffee and germinating. 

Thanks for any info!!!

2. too acidic..

3. #3 ManBearKitten, Mar 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2014
    Pretty sure it'd work; used coffee grounds contain a good amount of nitrogen or something like that...My grandma uses them in her veggie patch and she totally knows whats up when it comes to growing veg so I don't see why it wouldn't carry over to cannabis.

EDIT: growing in 100% coffee grounds would probably be a bad idea though, my grandma just chucks it around the base of the plants.

4. I use  used coffee grounds in my tea. But I don't think it would make a good growing medium alone.

5. Yeah likely to be too acidic, and just because it's got nutrients in doesn't mean it's good for growing seeds in.  Actually, they like relatively low levels of nutrients when germinating, that's why they sell seedling & potting compost especially for that reason.

I would dig them into my vegetable patch in the garden, it would probably keep the slugs away if I used it as a mulch, I would add them to my compost heap, and if I was mixing up my own soil formulation I might add some in, but the reason you can't find any info about using coffee grounds as a growing medium is not because your friend has stumbled on to some amazing new secret, but because it's not a good reliable way to grow things.