Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Coconut Oil

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by Nima420, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Ok, so SWIM is making brownies tomorrow. Decarbing first for at least 2 hours at 220F. I want to use coconut oil because of the high saturated fat content and the good reviews, but im kind of strapped for cash and it's hard to find in the area. Is there some other oil that will work similarly well for decarbing? I'm thinking olive oil.

2. No olive oil is bad. Decarbing doesn't require oil...hence why most people use AVB because that's in essence decarbed weed. If your strapped use butter or Canola oil I guess. Butter preferred but coconut oil is THE best. I'd suggest saving up and picking up a jar.

3. Keep in mind that an afternoon in a hot car can degrade your potency... you don't want to decarb while dry, at those temps, without oil, for two entire hours! :eek:

We can process longer in oil, because without contact with dry air and oxygen, degradation still occurs but it takes place more gradually. And we need to process longer in oil, in order to ensure complete extraction and the formation of a bioavailable solution, which means it's important that we haven't already 'overdone it' and we haven't caused too much degradation, long before we started extracting. Twenty, to thirty minutes at 220 should do it, longer for a freshly dried crop, shorter for obviously older, or over-dried, brick is a good example of herb that usually needs a briefer decarb step; long story short, you want to spend the most time extracting and promoting bioavailability, if anything!

---

If you want a cheap, easy to find substitute for coconut oil, that is chemically similar (in terms of the components we're actually after), then you'll be wanting to buy and clarify some butter.

Clarified butter has a short and medium-chain triglyceride content, where olive oil is 100% long-chain fatty acids which are less than ideal for promoting absorption. Butter contains only a fraction of the MCT content in coconut oil, but it's still better for processing cannabis glandular material than lard, crisco, canola oil, corn oil, olive oil, and most other common plant, animal and kitchen cooking oils.
    Butter also doesn't have nearly as much of the useful saturated fat as coconut oil (great for breaking down cannabis glandular material), but it still has roughly three times the saturated fat content of olive oil!

Long story short, coconut and palm kernel oils are ideal, and clarified butter if you're in a pinch.

(However - Some people with dysfunctional livers, or overactive enzymes or metabolism, sometimes will absorb cannabis more efficiently with long-chain oils, so while coconut oil is best for 99% of people and patients, you shouldn't rule out long-chain oil sources entirely. If you feel that have a tough time absorbing canna coconut oil or canna butter effectively, then olive oil, grapeseed oil, almond oil, and macadamia oils are good alternatives to try.)

These are the tut.s you're looking for:

BadKat's Highly Activated & Bioavailable, Med-Grade Hash Oil (starting with dry-sift hash, same as capsule recipe,
    oil can also be used for cooking)

Med-Grade Hash Oil

[​IMG]

BadKat's Highly Activated & Bioavailable, Med-Grade Cannabis Concentrate (Edible & Smokable recipes included...
    similar to Phoenix Tears/RSO & BHO, but bioavailable and made with food grade/drinking alcohol
    )

-Medical Grade Cannabis Concentrate-

[​IMG]

BadKat's Highly Activated & Bioavailable, Med-Grade Canna Oil (starting with flowers/bud/trim etc)

Med-Grade Canna Oil

[​IMG]

Even if it's not the tutorial you plan on using, give the concentrate tutorial's intro a read, at least so far as the text explaining using the length of processing, to control the effects provided by your finished oil.

I'll be going into more detail during the video editions of the tutorials at this year's Cannabis World Summit... (just starting in a few days, it seems like an awesome lineup)!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rffzSeSfeuM"]BadKittySmiles World Summit Preview.. Medical Grade Canna Oil, Hash, Edibles, Cloning and more! - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkbclJ5wZKk"]BadKittySmiles - GrassCity - Cannabis World Summit - Comment to WIN FREE SIGNED BeeLine Hemp Wick! - YouTube[/ame]

Good luck, and have fun! :wave:

4. Ya dude, SWIM is following BadKat's tutorial tomorrow. Decarb with coconut oil. Peace

5. Hey Badkitty, I'm a BIG fan, and follow you since I first was on GC and well I try and follow your recipe to the "T." I'm wondering, is there a difference between a store bought
    LouAna coconut oil. I'm curious if there is a big difference between the "Organic Virgin" coconut oil and this kind of store bought one? Thanks!

6. SWIM got the extra virgin oil and some 100% baker's white chocolate (also high saturated fats and some lecithin) and is adding flaked coconut, vanilla, maybe some others. Should be good. Starting in about an hour or two. Hopefully the smell will be OK.

7. I think you misunderstood her.

You decarb dry, for 20-30 minutes.

You add the oil after that, when you're processing it. (extracting the THC)