Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Coconut Oil substitute for THC caps

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by r4di4ti0n, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Coconut is the most commonly used medium to soak up all you THC for caps. this is because it is solid at room temp thus increases the shelf life of your your pills.

I was wondering if butter could be used as a substitute? Does it soak up THC as efficiently? Would it degrade gelatin capsules?

Any help is appretiated :D

2. Coconut oil is really easy to get and pretty cheap. Butter will absorb the THC but in terms of using it in caps, I would assume it would eat through the caps or more people would recommend butter use. Badkittysmiles has a pretty bad ass thread about edibles that you could learn all kinds of info from. Check it out. its a sticky

3. coconut oil is used because it's the best. at room temperature, it is a solid and will not eat through gel capsules for months

4. Coconut oil is superior both in glandular breakdown, and in maintaining the solid integrity of your capsule. Butter should be avoided. There are other solid fruit and nut oils, but they aren't easy to acquire.

If it's an issue of allergies you can use cocoa butter as a substitute, it's not as good as coconut oil but better than butter, and it's also solid at room and higher temps.
    Just be sure it's food grade, that it's pure, and preferably has a fat content equal to its weight per unit.. many 'butters' meant for baking and eating aren't pure cocoa fat, but blended with cocoa solids. These either remain as a result of an incomplete extraction/separation (the process that results in a pure oil, and cocoa solids), or they are blended in after the fact for flavor purposes. In terms of ease to find, you'd have much better luck looking for a good coconut oil.
    Cocoa butter melts at a slightly higher temperature than coconut oil, meaning it will take a few moments longer to absorb, but it still becomes a liquid at well below body temp. It is the element responsible for the melt-in-your-mouth quality found in good or high-end edible chocolate.

The melting point however can be hastened by blending in a few drops of olive oil per teaspoon of cocoa butter used. You'll just want to be sure you agitate and stir the oil well between filling each cap, then chill the caps in the fridge or freezer as soon as possible to prevent possible oil separation. When using lecithin, this isn't as much of an issue. The below is a link to the photo tutorial Khalib mentioned earlier, and some photo excerpts from the thread :)

Photo Tutorial: Highly Activated Bioavailable Hash & Canna Oils, Edibles, Drinkables, and more..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Wow thanks a lot guys! And BadKitty I've read through all of your tutorials multiple times and they were fantastic. Extreamly easy to follow and and very well presented! So thanks alot! :)

Another question I have pertaining to lecithin. I'm fully aware of how it works to help your body absorb more THC but I'm curious as to the ideal oil/lecithin ratio (assuming all the THC is absorbed from mid quality buds) the reason I'm asking is because I'm brainstorming a mass production style cap method and it would be awesome if I had an ideal ratio from the master himself! I'm looking for something like for every half cup of THC coconut oil add X amount of lecithin. X being the ideal amount for maximum absortion of THC.

A third question I have pertains to powdered buds. I need to know if I have one gram of powdered bud how much coconut oil should I add or mabey even for every quarter cup of powdered bud add x amount of coconut oil.

Once again any help is appretiated! :)

6. #6 BadKittySmiles, Apr 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2011
    You'll definitely want to make a few small or practice batches first just to get the process down, and so you can get your personal/preferred dosage squared away before you make one very big batch, that's either much too strong, or much too weak.

With the lecithin, anywhere between half to three quarters of a teaspoon per tablespoon of oil is acceptable, and you can feel free to experiment to find if more or less better suits your needs. Any amount of lecithin you use in that vicinity will noticeably aid in the effectiveness of your oil, versus using none at all. The main caution with using too much is that you risk diluting the ratio of the 'true' active components.

I very much recommend making hash or kief from your herb, to use for your capsules.

The 'waste' herb from the hash making process is not all waste, particularly if your hash extraction was gentle. Before you even get to the hash oil, you can make a quick coconut-lecithin oil run with the resulting herb, once it has been decarbed, starting with a larger quantity of oil than you wish to end with (knowing more or less will often be left behind during the straining process).

You can then use this resulting weaker canna oil, as a base oil for your hash, and continue the oil and capsule making process as usual. This is much easier, and results in much less waste, than the alternative of running, and re-running the same oil through multiple batches of fresh canna, in order to achieve a concentrated potency.

And again, dosing is entirely up to you, it is dependent on your needs and how well you processed your materials. Capsules made for patients start around 0.10g - 0.15g when made from concentrate (high potency hash or extract). For experienced or heavy regular smokers, and folks who either consume edibles on a daily basis or suffer from digestive difficulties, they may require doses as high, as ranging between 0.25g - 0.35g per cap. That's roughly 2.1+g concentrate per teaspoon of oil-lecithin, taking into consideration the displaced space for the concentrate, and the oil and lecithin when all combined, knowing that you get '5 x 00' caps from a teaspoon of total material.
    Meaning that 2.1g, plus one teaspoon of oil and lecithin, does not still make a liquid teaspoon of oil and only 5 total capsules, but instead enough for a teaspoon and one or so ml, or roughly 6 capsules. This gets easier when you begin making them in higher quantity.

If your measurements or proportions wind up somehow 'off' by the end, and you find you've made more or fewer capsules than you expected, you can always take the amount of hash or herb you know you've used, and divide that by the number of capsules you finished with, to find the true dose-per-cap.

Hope this helps :)

7. That helped at ton!! You answered all my question plus some but, now I have more question. What technique would you reccommend for making the hash/concentrate? As I would prefer to keep the pocess as simple and streamline as possible. My previous plan was just to the powder the buds and leave the powder right in the oil when I fill the caps.

8. BadKitty, Do those smell at all?

9. Great guide! thank you!!