Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Coconut Oil Better For Medibles?

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by peacebaby914, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Okay, about 2 years ago, before coconut oil was in this "health conscious" category & benefits weren't widely known. Also, it couldn't be bought in grocery stores... I had to speciality shop for it.
    I had read some info on how & why coconut oil is BETTER & holds more cannabinoids than butter. Now I have this guy on Facebook harassing me about it being true or not, & demanding to know why. I can't find the info I dug up a few YEARS ago. Can anyone support this claim, or explain why or why not it is so?
    ~Thank you in advance!

2. Oh... "better" meant as in STRONGER. Say we used SAME material & amount of herb/clippings, & same amount of butter & coconut oil. I have read (& proven to MYSELF, IMO) the coconut will yeild stronger content & therefore make "stronger" medibles.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Butter works just as well as coconut oil for me, sometimes better depending on what I'm making. Coconut oil has more saturated fat and therefore has more bonding sites. There's a limit to how much can be extracted and that limit is much lower with butter but if you're only making a small amount then it's just as good. This is for edibles, not caps. For caps you would want to use the coconut oil because of the health benefits and bioavailability. The answer to the question is simply that the coconut oil has more saturated fat than butter.  :)

4. Thank you. That sounds exactly correct with what I researched a few years ago.
    I just don't quite fully understand what you mean by "a limit to how much can be extracted" & how or why it's lower with butter.
    And what in THIS CONTEXT would be "a small amount?"
    The man debating me about this made a LARGE (5lb) amount of butter. He claims even if we used the same amount, same material, & same method of extracting, There would be no difference in strength, or the BUTTER could even be more potent, because he says it has more fat than coconut oil.
    I don't concur.
    Do you believe I'm wrong? (In disagreeing with the man about butter being same or higher potentcy?)

5. The fat content is higher in coconut oil thus absorbing more thc.

All you have to do is look at the saturated fat content between the two. The more saturated fat, the more bonding. Butter has 7g of saturated fat per tablespoon and coconut oil has 12g. That is almost double the fat in the butter. Here are 2 calculators for fat content, one for each. 
    https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1GGGE_enUS456US456&ion=1&espv=2&es_th=1&ie=UTF-8#q=saturated+fat+in+coconut+oil.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1GGGE_enUS456US456&ion=1&espv=2&es_th=1&ie=UTF-8#q=saturated%20fat%20in%20butter

By "small" I mean proportionally due to saturation. Because butter has little more than half the amount of the coconut oil, it has a lower saturation point beyond which no additional bonding can take place. The guy on FB is wrong but good luck getting him to believe that. Show him the saturated fat content.  :)

7. He's already wrong telling me butter has more fat! (Which I knew was wrong. )

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sam is right the MCT carry the cannabanoids to the receptors much better. That's the good stuff.

• Like Like x 2