Coconut-Canna oil /help me!

Discussion in 'DIY and Homemade' started by ScAriel_510, May 20, 2016.

?

Have you ever acidentally wasted, lost, ruined your stash?

1. Yes, and it sucked

80.0%
  2. No, not really

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes, more than one time

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Yes, three times or more

20.0%
  1. Who can tell me where I went wrong?

My recipe.
    • 1/4oz high grade BUD (only)
    • 1/2c virgin coconut oil
    Steps.
    1. Ground up the flower/bud in a coffee grinder.
    2. Warmed up _IN A DOUBLE BOILER_my coconut oil until liquefied.
    3. Added ground bud to coconut oil.
    4. For the next 7-8 hours I kept the coconut/cannabis mixture warm and just UNDER a simmer, stirring occasionally.
    5. After 8h. I strained the plant matter out of the coconut oil with a pre moistened coffee filter and immediately put in fridge to solidify.
    The problem.
    • The POTENCY turned out to be WEAK.
    • I definitely used high grade product for both the oil and bud.
    • I DID NOT DECARB the weed. I read that it's not really necessary.
    • DID NOT ADD ANYTHING ELSE. I didn't use the lecithin or anything else to try and increase potency. The plant should do the work.

2. I make coconut budder in a crockpot and it works well. Not an expert, so take my suggestions as just another culinary inclined blade.

From what you wrote, I'd think the main thing here is that you didn't decarb the weed. While not always necessary, doing so is a lot more fool proof. If you don't decarb it before hand, you have to make sure that the mixture is hot enough to decarb the weed while making the budder. Coconut oil has a really low melting point, and I could see how it would be easy to spend 8 hours and not reach the proper temp. I mean, it melts on its own in warm house.

I had a lot of hit/miss issues and wasted weed when I started cooking, but that all stopped once I started decarbing the weed first. The only other thing is that I wouldn't use coffee grinder. It's so rigorous that it can leave a lot of kief behind in the grinder, more so than just doing a rough chop with a knife or scissors, or tearing apart with your fingers. I use a wooden grinder that's just like any other weed grinder, only the 'teeth' of it are little nail posts that tear the weed apart. I do it gently, only a half turn per load and there's never any residue left inside. It takes slightly longer, but not at all what I'd consider long. Maybe one minute for a quarter.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Did you keep the weed and the oil? If so, you can try putting them back on the stove at a higher temp.

4. I think your exactly right. If anything I figured that I most likely didn't keep it at that "sweet spot" temperature for the while time.
    I didn't use a thermometer either.

Funny you mention saving the weed and oil. I actually did keep it and went back with it a second time before I read your reply. I added some fresh flower too and I noticed there were times when I'd check on oil and the temp flared up (due to low water in the double boiler ) a bit on accident and the color was richer and it seemed like more of a chemical process was taking place but I was also so afraid of torching or burning it to the point of ruined that I kept the temp lower than higher.
    The second run with the temp flare up, when consumed, actually did produce a slight body high but not by any means that significant.
    Thank you for your help. And your right about the coffee grinder. I spent a long time trying not get all the frosties out of it after.
    The the coffee filter wasn't any issue you think right?

5. What's the smallest batch you think could be made.
    Not not to cook with but just swallow straight?

6. No, I don't think so. I use cheese cloth, but I've read recipes with people using coffee filters. Yeah, I think you're right about the temp fluctuations and water in the double boiler. That's why I do the crockpot method, it's just really simple and the temp is consistent. I decarb the weed, throw it and the oil in the crockpot for however long it says, take it off, strain through the cheese cloth and Bam!

I don't know. I'd say you'd want to decarb it first for sure though. If you're wanting to do like a single dose type thing it would probably be a lot easier to just make firecrackers instead of a budder

7. Fool proof edibles!

First off you have to decarb / activate the ganja. That is using heat to dry out the ganja and turn everything into THC that is possible. With out that happening you won't get high. So we need this step!

Unfortunately, every oven is different. So the first time or two might be hit or miss and you'll be judging by what it turned into. Once it looks, smells and feels like decarbed ganja, it is! Here is what I do with out failure!

1) preheat oven to 240* F. Put a baking sheet in there to preheat as well.
    2) grind the 1/4 ounce of ganja you'll be using to a rough consistency and pullout stems and seeds. I leave the finely ground ganja in my oil and don't strain it out.
    3) make a foil packet to hold the ground ganja. Think envelope made of foil. Add the ground ganja then Seam and crimp all four sides well.
    4) put the foil packet of ground ganja in the oven on the pan you preheated. Let it cook for 20 to 30 minutes. For small amounts like a quarter ounce of ganja, 20 minutes should be fine. For larger amounts like ounces or more that hasn't been cleaned up or ground up, you'll go longer in the oven and leave it all uncovered on a baking sheet pan. Say 40 minutes to an hour.

Again it you need the ganja to look, smell and feel the part. So properly decarbed ganja will be dry and crispy. You might see some of the oils come to the surface as little tiny beads or you might not. As long as it is completely dried out your good. Next it needs to smell like it has been decarbed. It wil smell funky. Like James Browns britches funky! It goes from that yummy fragrance we all love to strait stinkin. It also needs to look decarbed. It will be darker but not burnt if you know what I mean. Light green ganja will be a darker green to dark dark green. You will see an actual difference in color is where I am going with it. When you have your decarbed ganja where you want it to be, remember how long and at what temp you did it all at because like I was saying, all ovens are different.

So now that we have decarbed ganja, let's make some canna oil for some epic edibles!
    1) Take the amount of oil the recipe calls for and use that much of coconut oil. Trust me, coconut is far superior and you can get it with zero taste. Put that in a sauce pan on the lowest heat.
    2) you'll be adding the roughly ground ganja next. I grind it finer between two spoons so it dissolves in the oil as it warms and steeps. I stir the ganja in very very well.
    3) WATCH THE HEAT! The heat needs to be super duper low. To the point that the ganja particles are barsly moving. Just the slightest agitation or movement. The more the stuff moves around, the hotter it is. To much heat will ruin your canna oil. It takes about an hour doing it this way.
    OR
    Dump the oil and ganja together in a coffee mug. Then set the mug on the warming plate of your coffee maker over night on the lowest setting if it even has one. By morning your oil is ready.
    4) add the oil into your boxed brownie recipe following all of the directions. When the brownies re done you'll need to cut them into the proper doses or you'll get peopl I'll!
    5) a quarter of a gram to a half of a gram is enough for a regular user to get super fucking hammered. So I would cut that pan of brownies your making into 24. That's a total of 24 brownies with a quarter of a gram of decarbed ganja per brownie. They will look smart but will fucking hammer you, don't under estimate them.
    6) it can take 45 minutes to an hour and a half to hit you. So don't eat more for a couple hours, until you know how potent they are.
    7) after thoughts... You could try adding lecithin as well. I never did but I hear good things about how it effects potency and onset time in a positive way. With or with out the lecithin, your brownies will fucking own!

Good luck blade :metal:

• Like Like x 2