Coco ratio

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by reggie1387, May 3, 2019.

1. Hey guys thinking of crossing over to the coco side. I’m in Australia and don’t get many good coco products here so I’m going to make my own using products from my local hardware shop. I’ve been talking to another member on here and he loves sunshine promix 4. This is what they use.
    2F2B106E-49CA-4A55-9856-ED89CAAED492.png
    I can buy these products from my hardware shop. What’s everyone’s thoughts on growing in this? Or should I stick to just coco and perlite?

Coco coir peat brick
    Brunnings 9L Coir Power Coir - Peat Brick

Peat moss
    Brunnings 5L Peat Moss

Perlite
    Brunnings 5L Perlite Potting Mix

2. Are you thinking of mixing these together?

• Like Like x 1

3. Yeah I’m the promix 4 that’s the 3 ingredients

4. I would use one or the other either go coco /perlite or peat/perlite. I've never understood why some companies combine the 2 as they have different ph requirements

• Like Like x 2

5. Does promix give good results tho? Would there be anything beneficial adding the 2 together?

6. Alot of guys love pro mix I personally know very little about it.
    I'm growing in coco
    I only see potential complications and don't know what the upside would be if any.
    Hopefully some promix guys can enlighten us.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. I use promix and water when dry every couple days. I use coco if I want to water daily, faster growth with coco IMO but promix is easy I give it at 6.0ph no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  8. Coco is usually cheaper than peat, it's also much more environmentally friendly. Peat has to be harvested from peat bogs(a limited resource) and processed. Coco coir is a byproduct of coconut harvest. I'd personally recommend just using coco/pearlite in a 70/30 or 50/50 ratio. Feed daily to 20% runoff. Never a question of "should I water/feed today?" The answer is always yes, feed, every day. It's fairly simple and easy to do really.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1

9. Righto I had started thinking bout just going perlite and coco. I’m growing in a 3x3. Thinking 1-2 plants possibly scrog. If not a good LST. What size pots would be better? I have 3gal and 5gal fabric pots.
    Currently making a automated feeding system now. I work shift work and can’t always get to my plants everyday.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Here's a good coco site if you decide to go that route. Check out the section on buffering your coco you will need to do this or buy a pre buffered coco such as Canna Coco. Coco Grow Guide

Here's a diy automatic watering system also same site.
    DIY Automatic Watering System for Indoor Cannabis

• Like Like x 1
  11. Either of those, 3 or 5gal, should work well for you. Just make sure that you have them raised up off the ground. They need adequate space to drain and not sit in the runoff. Or she'll get "soggy feet" and act like she's over watered. I'd start out with 1 plant in a 3x3 space. If you do a good job training her, she should fill out most if not all of that space. Use LST to turn her into a bush and then add a SCROG net later to train/space the tops out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Yeah I have all that saved on my phone to follow when I get all my supplies.
    I have started on this today. 60l bin I had laying around. A few air stones. Then a pump that will pump the nutes out to a plastic manifold. Then I have some drip spikes from a hydrostar system I’m not using not sure if they would be ok to use or just use rings that I made.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Did you just poke some holes in the one you made? Let us know how it works When you get there

• Like Like x 1
  14. I started out trying to use the air stones they kept screwing with my ph so I ended up with a small recirculating pump that ii put on a timer it kicks on every 6 hours runs for 15 minutes then back off. Since then my ph is steady stays good all week.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I haven’t put any holes in the rings just yet they were something I just made while I was thinking of what to use.

16. I

I have another little pump I’m not using I could use that and do the same thing.

17. The more drippers the better it will be. I use 7 in each 2 gallon container and it's still not ideal. I hand water every few days once a week or so to even everything out

• Like Like x 1
  18. I recommend it mine finishes its cycle a few minutes before the main kicks on.
    I'm so glad to have mine up and running finally. I use smaller containers they need watering twice a day now.

• Like Like x 1
  19. 7 wow. I have 6 from the old setup I was thinking 3 in each. I might need to buy more then