Coco preparation question...

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by Smokexbreak, Feb 28, 2019.

1. So I’m a first time coco grower and I got the General hydro ponics cocotek brick.

I’ve already decompressed the brick with 6.0 water. Now I’ve been told I need to soak it in a calmag solution. Once for 24 hours and then fill up another bucket with a fresh calmag solution and soak again for 24 hours.

Can I get away with just soaking it once for 24 hours or do I need to do it twice? Is twice a must?

I read askEd’s thread and he suggested mixing dolomite lime with the coco and never once said anything about pre charging the medium.... will this take the 48 hours out of the equation?

Basically I’m trying to get around having to soak this shit twice and digging it out. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. I'm not familiar with the coco you are using, but if it's buffered you don't need to do anything other than get rid of the dust. And considering you are using a brick, you will have a lot of dust. After you have hydrated your coco brick mix up a solution with calmag in a large bucket and put some of the hydrated coco in it - swish it around and scoop our what floats - the fine powder will sink to the bottom. It's a pain but necessary to remove the sludge. Good luck.

The link provided in post #2 is an excellent tutorial on how to prepare your coco. :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Yeah I’ve read it and I’ve given in and I’ll buffer it lol.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance.

• Like Like x 1
  5. #7 Smokexbreak, Feb 28, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    Yeah I’m not taking any chances. Just follow the kiss guide and all will be well lol. Here’s the coco I’m using.

[​IMG]

Also in the future I’m going to try Ed’s method on a plant and see if it works just not this first go around. He says to mix in dolomite lime with your medium before the perlite and then send 6.0 water through it. Should take care of calmag/coco issue of grabbing all the calmag outta your solution. I’d love if that was the case. Just an experiment for the future.

Got these in the mail yesterday and have two more on the way. I’m excited about trying coco. The hempys worked out amazing. Never had greener plants in my life.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Idk why it posted that coco brick twice!! Lol but ya that’s the shit. says washed twice and low E.C. On it. Figure general hydro isn’t a cheap coco compared to some other brands but i rehydrated it and I’m going to only wash and buffer what I need for one run at a time otherwise I need a kiddie pool! That brick made like 20 gallons of medium

SmokexBreak’s perpetual grow journal

• Like Like x 1
  7. You're going to like those smart pots, finishing my first grow with them. Also using one gallon for clones, they seem to love them too!.

8. They look weird as hell but also
    Like there’s mad drainage and aeration. Plants love the both. I’m excited

• Like Like x 1
  9. I was sceptical.

10. I feel like everytime I see a plant in an airpot it’s a damn beast. It’s kinda what made me pull the trigger on it.

11. And it should be a breeze cleaning and recycling my coco.

Attached Files:

12. I think that’s what I’m most excited about. Coco has intrigued me for quite some time and now that I’ve got these hempys down I’m ready I feel like for the next step.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Do it!! I love coco! I got 6oz off a Bubblicious Auto my first grow before I knew what the hell I was doing, and she turned out amazing! I’m dialed in now, and so far it’s been a perfect automated grow! (Fingers and toes crossed lol) seriously though. Growing in coco is some fun shit!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk