coco how-to

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by loizier, Jun 1, 2010.

1. heat propensity? preferable irrigation systems? weaknesses? attributes? nutes? different pests? how different is it from drip w/ soil?

ive done soil and hydro w/success for a while. im interested in a coco-drip irrigation-drain to waste- system..because of my climate's propensity to rootrot (high temps outside year-round). im aiming at keeping the rez cooled w/chiller w/out having to worry about pithium forming around roots due to 78 deg temps.

im using a small, WELL ventillated closet to keep heat down from HIDs. insulated, mylar'ed, and air conditioned. too hot for CO2, DWC, or any other system iv tried. i need something that can hold moisture without turning into pithium from the HID's heat

plese be as technical as possible on answers.

2. I just started using coco recently. The only weakness of which I am aware is the propensity for plants grown in coco to suffer from Calcium deficiency, which usually starts in early flower. This is typically forestalled by adding dolomite lime to the medium and/or a steady diet (double helpings) of Cal-Mag Plus or an equivalent product. Organic growers use Epsom salt.

I grow in equal parts of coco and perlite. So far, it is easier than soil. Salt buildup in the medium has not been an issue, as it usually is in soil.

One thing I had to get used to is the runoff pH is not a good proxy for the medium pH when using coco. In soil, I depend heavily on the pH of the runoff.

I have not dealt with high temps so I do not know how plants do in coco vs. soil under those conditions.

3. alatar-- boy iam in the right place, our hard water is high in calcium! want to start doing a mixed coco ffof combo. i repotted some seedlings and put layer of coco at bottom to retain water and have the roots grow into. my bad- my good????????

4. The issue with mixing coco and soil is: what is you target pH for your water? Soil plants want a pH between 6.5 and 6.8. Coco plants, like hydro plants, want a pH between 5.5 and 5.8. With a mixture of the two, you would have to experiment, I guess.

I once took cuttings from a plant in soil and rooted it in coco. I watered those cuttings with water adjusted to 6.0 pH for the coco (I is my habit to go a little high). The cuttings rooted and eventually grew. They are in early flower now. But rooting took over a month and the first new growth was all twisted, misshapen, mutant leaves. This was because my transition from the 6.5-6.8 pH range that they had in soil to the 6.0 I gave them in coco was most ungentle and "pH shock" was the result.

For your plant with the coco at the bottom of the pot, i would just continue to adjust the pH of your water as if for soil. That's still the primary medium.

My plants love the coco, by the way. They grow like they are in hydro.

Good luck.

5. my tap water runs hard to with tons of calcium......but its added to the water and that calcium compound the water treatment plant uses is still locked out of the coco....i still have to use a cal/mag suppliment...just my two cents worth....the growth in coco is explosive...so many people have trouble with clones...with coco...just cut clippings and stick in coco....great roots in less the 10 days..so simple...i too go 50/50 coco perlite...bat guano...wormscastings...superthrive....dolimite lime...sulpher...thats whats great about coco.....you tweak till it works best for you.....good luck growin':wave:the deacon