coco coir medium

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by CPTN_SAVEHOE405, Jul 18, 2020.

1. How many times a day do I need to water/feed my coco plus perlite medium?

2. Need more information and pictures preferably how many gallon pots? What kind of pots? Lights? Those things matter a lot. Size of the plant is number one though with regards to this question. Obviously a plant three weeks in veg is not gonna be taking in the same amount of water as three weeks in flower. Overall I would say about once a day but the amount changes based on the variables above. How do you mix your coco and how much perlite matters also.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Once a day. Doesn’t matter pot size. It’s like hydro, you wanna flush out old and introduce new. Once runoff any amount you are good. Keep it simple. This is for 3weeks + not in the beginning.

Nevada Grown

• Like Like x 1
  4. I grow in 2.4 gal. air pots and I feed once a day in veg and twice a day in flower.

5. Why do you feed twice

Nevada Grown

6. Coco is hydroponics......some growers feed 5-6 times a day.

• Like Like x 1
  7. But your plant can only take in so many PPM in a day. So I don’t see why that’s necessary

Nevada Grown

8. Then explain DWC to me.........the roots are constantly submerged in a nutrient solution. Or flood and drain.......the roots are flooded with nutrient solution many times a day. It's all hydroponics........coco is no different.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Watering that much will do nothing but keep your root zone saturated and make a great environment for root rot and fungus gnats. Your probably hearing about people using some sort of automated fertigation system that applies solution in small quantities to small containers with a specific dosing regimen for that system. The reason DWC works is because the root zone is aerated with some sort of bubbler and kept relatively sterile with pasteurized bleach or hydrogen peroxide so the roots don’t rot and gnats/pathogens won’t reproduce in a nutrient solution.

• Like Like x 1
  10. It’s all about maintaining an aerobic environment in DWC too. That’s done with the bubbler/air stone I mentioned. It is impossible to keep a container medium aerated enough, by drying out, and feed it 5 times a day unless it’s in a one gallon fabric pot maybe. And then you’ll have a tiny root mass and a stunted plant.

• Like Like x 1
  11. You're funny.

Have you ever grown in coco?

I've been growing perfect plants in coco for over 25 years using this method and have never had root rot.
    Coco is inert and holds 30% oxygen even when completely saturated. Regular feeding to run off replenishes the nutes, pulls in fresh oxygen to the roots and prevents salt build up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. OP why don’t you try it and let us know how 6 times goes.

Nevada Grown

13. It’s a waste of money imo

Nevada Grown

14. I feed 5-6 times a day with low PPM feed and my plants are killing it.

Coco is one of the most aerated mediums you can use without perlite. Add perlite it’s even more aerated. Sounds like you guys have never tried coco before. And feeding 5-6 times ensures your coco never dries out or salt build up occurs. Which plants prefer in coco.

This is a 5 gallon pot not a 1 gallon. 1ECC16ED-6C98-4798-9A14-E47CD0C16BE3.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. How do you know if you haven't tried it?

I grow 4 plants each grow and my nutrients cost me a whopping $18.......hardly a waste of money.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. I encourage you to do a little bit of research on this, as it is well documented. With any type of static hydroponics you can feed once a day or multiple times a day. The plant can only uptake so much over a certain period of time and the remainder goes to waste(using drain to waste as a good example). Feeding multiple times allows the plant to take in much more nutrients than it would in one feeding. Many people feed 6 times a day. Many do it once a day, and many pick some number in between.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Because i use 10 products from AN and FF and with 6 plants feeding everyday I would been through prolly couple hundred dollars worth. I’m on week 12 now. 85 days, so 85 days times 10ml for each one is 850ml. Each 1000ml bottle is like $30-50. So i would need like 4 times the amount of nutes for a single grow. 60ml (6 times feeding daily) at 85 days is 5100ml. Meaning I would need 5 1L jugs for each. Quadrupled my budget

Nevada Grown

18. Hey I’m not saying I’m against it, I’m stating it’s a waste of money for end result. I’m not going to pay 4x more in nutes for ample benefits.

Nevada Grown

19. Not to mention the time needed to do that every day. Unless it’s automatic or you don’t work.
    If someone can show me the ROI on upping the feeding my 6x, the times to feed, cleaning up, etc. to how much more bud I’ll get I’ll listen. But there is no way 6x more feeding is worth it $ wise.
    Also, I’m not here to pick fights mostly to learn and see where your heads are at. All good points made thus far, but not convincing me.

Nevada Grown

20. Instead of 10 products.......try one it's cheaper. All that supplement stuff you use is just a waste of money. AN saw you coming.

• Agree Agree x 1